cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

ahmetcan007
Journeyman III

FPS and power consumption drop after RAM speed change.

Hey,

I noticed FPS and power consumption drop after I changed my ram speed from 2133 to 3600 (which is the default speed).

I had that problem earlier but did not know it was happening because of that, and I formatted my computer and cleaned everything to fix that. But obviously, it happened because I changed my ram speed.

It limits the FPS or power consumption Idk, but I play APEX, for instance, with 75 FPS constant. There's no glitch or stutter it just does not exceed that FPS.

I reset the BIOS settings and changed the RAM speed back to 2133, but that did not fix my issue.

Why is that happening, and is there a way to increase my RAM speed without affecting the performance of the graphic card?

System:

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

AMD RX 6900XT

Trident Z 3600mhz 32GB Ram (16x2)

MSI MPG B550 Motherboard

0 Likes
2 Solutions
emrvb
Adept I

Changing your RAM clock should not have any effect like you describe. Then again, graphics drivers are complicated and weird.

Maybe some settings got reset to default because of the change.

If you have a constant framerate like that, it feels a bit like its being rate limited. Make sure APEX does not have a rate limiter enabled. What is your experience in other games?

Also give it a try with freesync turned off.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Geforsikus_2021
Challenger

Yes, vertical synchronization is most likely enabled, either in the game or in the amd driver settings, or msi afterburner (it can limit fps for the game individually for each game, its own value), or whatever you use there for monitoring. Alternatively, the function can be enabled in the radeon chill driver settings.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
emrvb
Adept I

Changing your RAM clock should not have any effect like you describe. Then again, graphics drivers are complicated and weird.

Maybe some settings got reset to default because of the change.

If you have a constant framerate like that, it feels a bit like its being rate limited. Make sure APEX does not have a rate limiter enabled. What is your experience in other games?

Also give it a try with freesync turned off.

0 Likes

I also did not expect that but it clearly start to act like that after I changed the RAM clock. Before that, I was seeing 300 FPSs.

I resetted the BIOS but did not affect anything.

Freesync was on before that even I turned it off, it did not affect.

I also have similar experience in other games. But some games like Redout works fine. I don't understand at all.

0 Likes
Geforsikus_2021
Challenger

Yes, vertical synchronization is most likely enabled, either in the game or in the amd driver settings, or msi afterburner (it can limit fps for the game individually for each game, its own value), or whatever you use there for monitoring. Alternatively, the function can be enabled in the radeon chill driver settings.

0 Likes

Well, I'm speechless. That's the reason!!! And it was enable in the game and that's why it was limiting the FPS to my refresh rate of my monitor which is 75! Apex has different v-sync settings so I changed to adaptive and it rised to 300 again.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help.

0 Likes