cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

pokester
MVP

Re: Fortnite crashes and I get "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"

Jump to solution

I use the method of selling the GPU on ebay to an unsuspecting sap and making a few buck instead of burning it. It also saves money on gas. The end result is very similar.

colesdav
MVP

Re: Fortnite crashes and I get "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"

Jump to solution

Hi,

I looks like this has something to do with the problem of Fortnite crashing out.

Windows 7 Visual Effects Settings.

Specifically Enable Desktop Composition.
When this is enabled, Relive Recording can run.

pastedImage_0.png

I have found the following. - If I set the following Windows 7 theme - Windows 7 Basic.

pastedImage_1.png

I then reboot the PC and start ReLive and try to run a desktop recording it fails to start and says Record Not Supported when Desktop Composition is disabled.

However ... Fortnite launches and runs no problem. Radeon Settings works except I cannot record anything to prove to you that Fortnite actually works and runs,

If I then set Windows Desktop Theme to Aero Theme - Windows 7 as shown above, reboot the PC, and attempt Adrenalin ReLive recording I can record the Windows Desktop fine.

However If I try to launch Fortnite it crashes at launch as shown above.

So it looks like I *might* have found a workaround for some people at least?
Just set your Windows 7 Theme to Basic - that will disable ReLive, and that also seems  to let Fortnite run properly on Windows 7 ...  for me at least

I hope this helps someone at least ...

I have an Nvidia Card on this machine as well, so I will set my main display to run off the Nvidia card and update to the latest GeForce Drivers and see if Windows 7 Aero Theme causes a problem when I am running Fortnite from an Nvidia GPU.

Bye.

pokester
MVP

Jump to solution

Good find. Makes sense it would be Aero related.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

Instead of burning your AMD GPU, post it to me please.

I am sure I could put it to some good use.  

Thanks.

colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

Hi,

Nvidia card runs Fortnite fine with Windows 7 Aero enabled and I get no crashing.
GeForce Experience runs o.k. and I recorded the fact that Windows 7 Aero was running and some initial Fortnite 'gameplay'.
It looks like the Adrenalin Driver running Fortnite with Windows 7 Aero Desktop / ReLive enabled is definitely the problem.

In any case I have had enough of this now.
Maybe someone else can look to see if the workaround I found so I could launch and run Fortnite on my AMD R9 Nano will work for them.

I am running Nvidia Driver Version 398.36. - The only driver I tested Fortnite on.

Bye.

0 Likes
magoguitarrista
Adept II

Jump to solution

But Nothing says "I love you" like a toasty R7...

0 Likes
magoguitarrista
Adept II

Jump to solution

When I switch to Nvidia I would.
Just waiting to gather the money, Im planning a good new machine.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

Hi,

Assuming you are having problems with Windows 7 and AMD Drivers running Fortnite, could you please try my workaround above?

Please run checks on your Windows 7 installation to make sure it is clean and updated with latest Windows updates first. Then reboot to apply updates. Then turn Windows updates off completely and disable Windows 7 from installing any driver updates at all. If you do not do that then Windows might install and older (wrong) version of AMD driver which might be undetected by latest Adrenalin driver meaning that Adrenalin will also install a newer AMD Driver on top without removing the old one and you might end up with an old driver installation overwritten by a new one which may result in constant crashing and strange behavior. Try installing the AMD Adrenalin 18.7.1 driver after running the latest version of DDU in safe mode (you can download it from here: Official Display Driver Uninstaller DDU Download​​ ) to make sure your existing AMD Driver is removed. Note to enter safe mode you have to reboot your PC and press F8 to select menu to allow you to boot into safe mode on many PC's. Then reboot. Then download and install latest AMD 18.7.1 Driver, you should be able to find the correct driver easily from here: Download Drivers​ provided you are running a GCN card. . Reboot your PC. Then make sure Windows Aero Desktop Features are disabled by changing your Windows desktop theme to basic as shown above. Please reboot your PC. Once you reboot please login and set up AMD ReLive to record your Windows 7 desktop. The try recording the desktop using  Ctrl Shift R - it should not work. You should see a message that Desktop Composting needs to be enabled.

After you have done all of the above steps you should be able to launch and run Fortnite without crashing using your AMD card.
If it still crashes after all of the above steps then scream.

Alternatively replace your AMD card with an Nvidia one, download and install the latest Nvidia Drivers and/or GeForce Experience, and run Fortnite with Windows Aero Desktop Theme active.

If you do replace your AMD card with an Nvidia one then it might be a good idea to download and run DDU in safe mode to remove all traces of any AMD or older Nvidia drivers before you install new Nvidia ones.

Bye.

0 Likes
magoguitarrista
Adept II

Jump to solution

Hi, I have Windows 10 (And probably others in the forum too, In fact its weird to think someone still uses 7 in plain 2018), so, sorry for dismantle your Aero theory.
Im not going to run a battery of test on my computer on something we already know is an AMD issue,besides, Ive already have a fulltime job, no need to work for AMD too (And for free, that would be the cherry of the cake), this is something THEY need to solve (Thats why they have a Driver Engineer department).
Thats what you paid for when you buy an AMD product (clearly its not what you get) but, bottom line, not moving a hair here, only if it is a new fixed driver to install.

colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

OK. No problem.

Fortnite on Windows 10 64bit seems to be running fine for me with 18.7.1 driver.
Someone in the thread above complained that the crashing problem was on Windows 7 64 bit not Windows 10 64 bit.
So I looked at Windows 7 64 bit and it definitely crashes out if Windows Aero desktop is set. It's not a theory.
As  for working for AMD for free ... yes I know.
Thanks.

0 Likes