cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

baskura
Adept II

Flicker/glitching on desktop on driver 19.11.1 (Radeon VII)

Hi,

I'm getting flickering/glitching on the desktop in Windows 10 on driver 19.11.1 - also had the problem on the previous (non-beta) drivers.

Everything is fine when in games, it's just when using things like Firefox, Spotify etc.

At first I thought it might be a problem with my undervolt on the GPU, however it does the same at the default settings.

I also have two monitors - one at 144hz and one at 60hz. The problem persits even if I set both screens to 144hz.

Specs:

2700X, Gigabyte Gaming 7 WifFi X470, Radeon VII.

Any solutions, I read elsewhere that this a known issue? It's very very annoying!

Thanks,

Bask

29 Replies
expiredmayo
Adept I

I am also having this issue with a very similar setup, also a Radeon VII (but MSI), flickering to black/noise when staring at Firefox, Affinity Designer, or the desktop in Windows 10. The 144 Hz monitor is a new addition (LG 27GL850-B) replacing an old 60 Hz monitor, tested with the stock DP cable and the StarTech DP 1.4 compliant cable that shows up first on Amazon (both cables have the same flickering issue).

The second is an existing not-as-old 60 Hz monitor that I'm keeping, tested with an HDMI and DP-HDMI cable.The previous double 60 Hz monitors did not have this issue.

Removing the 60 Hz secondary monitor appears to solve the problem, but that's not an ideal solution for me.

Happening on 19.11.2

0 Likes

Having the same problem with all current drivers having a second monitor causes black screens and display driver crashes.

EDIT : 19.5.2 works for me.

0 Likes
residentcl
Adept II

I am not sure if it will be literally the same problem as you, but it is almost the same as my problem.

https://youtu.be/Nms_u1HJksM

https://youtu.be/Nms_u1HJksM

System: Windows 10 - November 2019 Update - 64 BIT.

Motherboard: Asus H87M-E. BIOS 2201

CPU: Intel Core I7-4770.

RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866 C10 4x4GB.

GPU: Asus Radeon 590 - 8 GB - ROG-STRIX-RX590-8G-GAMING.
Driver: Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.11.3

Display 1: LG - Product No: LG 29UM68-P.
Display: Current Mode: 2560 x 1080 (32 bit) (75Hz)
Radeon freeSync: on.
Monitor input: Displayport.
Graphic card output: Displayport.

Display 2: LG - Product No: LG 29UM68-P.
Display: Current Mode: 2560 x 1080 (32 bit) (75Hz)
Radeon freeSync: on.
Monitor input: Displayport.
Graphic card output: Displayport.

HDD: OS: Crucial MX500 SSD 500 GB SATA 3 (6Gb/s)

Power supply: Seasonic FOCUS+ 80Plus Gold - 850 Watts.

Yes, that's a much more extreme version of what I'm seeing. I just get 1 flicker like that every minute or so.

0 Likes

This is the exact issue I am also getting and it's driving me insane!

0 Likes

I see that with my X570 and windows 1909 shortly after rebooting. Not sure if its the graphics driver resetting the display.

0 Likes
baskura
Adept II

This is still happening on the latest driver 19.11.3. Windows 10 64bit fully updated to the latest version.

0 Likes
zoart
Adept I

I have the same problem here. But it's hard to replicate it. It only seems to happen when I'm watching twitch for a while and it happens at random times. But yea, I do also get artifacts and flickers. I'm on a RX 580 Pulse with the latest AMD drivers. Also running it on 60 hz didn't fix it, it just seems very random.

0 Likes
residentcl
Adept II

I still have the problem.
Win10-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2019-Edition-19.12.1-Dec2

0 Likes

That's not promising. I think it's best we create a ticket about this problem. 

0 Likes

I have this one open 2 weeks ago:
SR # {ticket no: [8200915676]}

0 Likes
aboy123
Adept I

In case anyone needs a "temporary" fix Radeon VII - AMD Please Fix Driver Bug - Only Working Driver 19.5.2 - Monitor Flicker/Artifacts : Am... The driver mentioned in this thread (19.5.2) works for me. If anyone can explain how to escalate this, it would be very helpful.

0 Likes

I assume the only way it to key amd know through a ticket.

0 Likes
residentcl
Adept II

The system does not recognize me the other monitor.
the cable and the monitor is fine, it is a problem of the displayport port and the driver.
Win10-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2019-Edition-19.12.1-Dec2

0 Likes
residentcl
Adept II

We continue with the same problem with driver 19.12.2

0 Likes
dtuckandroll
Journeyman III

Running a rx 480 on two 1440p 144hz monirots and experiencing the same issue on driver 20.1.3. Are they ever going to fix this?

0 Likes
motorn
Journeyman III

Disabling Freesync on one of the monitors is a temporary fix.

Huge thanks for finding this. For me, it doesn't remove it completely but it reduced it to be infrequent enough where it prevented me from switching back to my vega56.

With both displays on freesync, or even with one display plugged in with HDMI (that display does not support freesync over hdmi) the flicker would happen every 5 minutes when browsing the web, and was becoming intolerable.

Using DP on my second display and disabling freesync has reduced the flicker to be far less substantial and only happen 3 times a day or so.

0 Likes

It doesn't - it may resolve other types of flicker issues but not the one reported here. See this thread.

https://community.amd.com/message/2955664?commentID=2955664#comment-2955664 

0 Likes
residentcl
Adept II

It seems that the problem is Freesync, after many tests, I can say that so far.

You can add my ticket in case you haven't opened one yet: SR # {ticketno: [8200915676]}

0 Likes
motorn
Journeyman III

New driver released 1/29 seems to have fixed the issue.

0 Likes

20.1.3(WHQL) or 20.1.4? I am still getting flickering on 20.1.4.

0 Likes
omalak
Adept II

Welcome to the club folks.rhis is the large thread with the most replies on the same issue. See below.

https://community.amd.com/thread/237060?et=watches.email.outcome&messageTarget=all&start=125&mode=co... 

The issue has been present forever and since the beginning of the life cycle of the VII.. nobody seems to care at AMD. 

0 Likes

After my first report in this thread and finding all the related threads in the forum/reddit, I've come to the (unfortunate) conclusion that this has been a known issue across all Vega series cards (Vega 56, 64, and the newer 7nm variant, the VII a.k.a. Vega 20). It's unfortunate because AMD has long since moved onto the RX 5000 series, so Vega support has "not been a priority" since mid-2019.

If you work in software, you know that's a euphemism for neglected indefinitely.

The only known fixes I were able to try are:

1. Stay on a very old driver (19.5.x, which would happen to line up with "right before the RX 5000 series came out" assuming that second digit is 5 for the month of May)
  2. Disable Freesync and 2D hardware acceleration in all your browsers, Photoshop, AutoCAD, whatever has not-3D hardware acceleration.
  3. Disconnect the second monitor and use a second computer in its place. (What I ended up doing)

If those options don't work, I guess the remaining options are to upgrade again or upgrade-and-switch to green camp out of spite.

0 Likes

Well I've decided to wait to see what the high-end Navi looks like, but if

it's equal to performance on team greens next top end part then I'm going

to switch - purely because I am sick to the back teeth of issues not

getting fixed. This flickering is a nightmare.

0 Likes

I have already made up my mind to switch to team green in my upcoming upgrade. Something I never thought I would do.

I had these issues with my old HD7950, I even bought the VII because I thought my video card was about to kick the bucket. It is not just Vega, and it is definitely a driver issue, as I never had it with Catalyst 13.12.

0 Likes
higgsie
Adept I

I had a similar issue where my 2 24inch iiyama monitors would glitch when switching full-screen videos between the monitors. To resolve I disabled the following toggle "Virtual Super Resolution" 

0 Likes
jeanluc
Journeyman III

Presently having this issue as well except using Amd Radeon 7800m on a 17inch laptop with i7

No clue how to fix this.

0 Likes