Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

vincentav8
Journeyman III

Flashing Grey screen 4 times - Win10 log in

Hi everyone,

I have a new motherboard/CPU that has an AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Radeon RX Vega 11 Graphics.

Radeon software - 20.2.2

I have an unusual problem in that every time I boot up windows and log in, or llog back in after unlocking windows, then the whole screen turns grey for 5 seconds then comes back to the proper image for 1 second ... and repeats 4 times.

I have tried DDU uninstalling the drivers, reinstalling etc but cant find any way of fixing this.

anyone have any ideas for this?

cheers,

Andy

5 Replies

I would talk to the support department of you motherboards maker. Being an APU you either have a board issue or APU issue and it would be far more likely it is the board. 

If you have not however updated to the latest bios for your motherboard I would try that. 

Also you are not running the latest apu driver. It is 20.2.4. 

https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/amd-ryzen-processors/amd-ryzen-5-desktop-processors-radeon-vega-g... 

You should also make sure you are running the latest chipset driver. You did not give your board model so I can't link to the correct one. 

Do those 3 things and if you have issues still contact the board maker for support. 

If you need to contact AMD you can do that here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

vincentav8
Journeyman III

Hi, thank you for the advice pokester

I have followed the links and as suggested I have upgraded the Bios, the chipset drivers and the latest AMD APU drivers (Adrenalin) ... but it still does the same thing ... flashing grey screen when logging in / coming out of screen sleep.

I have also logged a call on the MSI website forum to see if they have anything from a mainboard perspective.

What is interesting is that when uninstalling the AMD APU drivers and rebooting, the problem goes away (running Microsoft Basic Display Adapter) .. then as soon as the APU drivers are installed the problem comes back suggesting the issue is with the Adrenalin software?

cheers,

Andy

It certainly can be an issue with the drivers. My intuition is that it is likely. Heaven knows AMD's drivers are pretty problematic for a lot of people. The big thing is doing what your'e doing. Eliminating the variables you can control. More than likely unless this is a hardware problem you are not the only one with the problem. So hopefully one of the support departments will help or at least pass the issue along to driver engineering. 

So sorry for your trouble. I get how frustrating it is. I am waiting for an RMA'd motherboard to come back myself. 

0 Likes
mjkhular
Journeyman III

vincentav8‌ i have the same problem bro. My screen turns grey when using it.. then I updated my drivers, now my screen only turns grey after computer boot up, 4x grey screen then it goes away after that. When using Microsoft Display Adapter, it's not happening. 

0 Likes
mjkhular
Journeyman III

vincentav8‌ did you already solved this?  please help

0 Likes