Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

mrmadchemist
Journeyman III

flashes/glitches when playing in full screen dual screen setup

Hi!

I recently installed a sapphire Radeon RX 580 GPU in my desktop PC.

Through HDMI I connected two (identical) full HD monitors.

When i try to play a game (for example, Sims 4) in full screen mode (on one monitor) the screen flashes wildly, different colors appear with each flash, like the GPU cannot handle it. If I close the game, the wild flashing stops, but now and then (roughly once a minute) a single flash appears. If I restart the PC, everything works as it should (until I load a game). The problem seems to get worse if there are more moving parts on the screen.

If I play a game in windowed mode, there is no problem at all. When I remove the HDMI cable from my 2nd screen, everything works as expected even in full screen mode.

I didn't test this with the Sims in-game, the problems already start in the main menu.

I cannot capture these "flashes" with ReLive. In the recordings it all looks normal.

I'm wondering if this is normal behaviour for a brand new GPU, or if there is something wrong.

- should I be able to play a game full screen on one monitor, while the other screen just shows windows desktop?

- could my CPU be the problem? (Intel i5 6402P)

Thanks in advance for your reactions!

MrMadChemist

Setup:

GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 580
CPU: Intel Core i5 6402P

Motherboard: Medion H110H4-EM (Intel Skylake chipset)

RAM: 16 GB DDR4

Radeon Version: 19.11.3

no overclocking on both CPU and GPU done.

4 Replies
codyjayro
Adept II

I have the same problem and the temporary solution I found around the forum is to disable FreeSync.

Hope they can fix this soon.

cerenas
Journeyman III

Same issue here with a RX 580 and 2 monitors connected through DP. Solution for now is indeed to disable freesync for both monitors. Too bad, because that's the reason I bought them + an AMD GPU.

Yes, i already filed two reports to AMD regarding this issue but it's been more than 6 months and a lot of updates and the problem still persists sadly. Maybe you can try submitting one too. That might speed up the fixing process.

I just filed a report as well, hopefully they'll pick it up.