cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

FirePro W9100 slowed down after Threadripper upgrade

I just built a new Threadripper 2950X system and I ran into a surprising issue.  My W9100 GPU (32GB VRAM version) actually slowed down vs. my Intel i7 CPU system.  The 2950X is 3 times faster and amazing, but I'm not sure why the GPU would slow down with the AMD CPU.

My old system had an Intel i7-5930K 6-Core Overclocked to 4.2GHz, 64GB RAM and the same FirePro W9100 with 32GB VRAM that I put in this new system.  However, in CineBench the GPU rating was lower on my new system with the same exact card.  The old system rated at 137 frames per second and the new one rated at 88 fps.  Even when I put BOTH W9100's in the new system the fps was basically the same.  The CPU rating tripled with the Threadripper, but the GPU  went down.  Any idea why that would happen?

My system details are below:

• AMD Threadripper 2950X 16 Core (Overclocked to 4.2GHz)
  • Motherboard - ASUS ROG STRIX
  • RAM - 64GB Gskill DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 16GB)
  • GPU - AMD FirePro W9100 with 32GB VRAM
    • I actually have 2 of these but I put both in the system, so 64GB of VRAM, and didn't see any performance improvement in CineBench, so it doesn't seem worth dealing with the heat they create

Hard Drives

• OS is on 512GB SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe
  • 2nd M.2 SSD Drive - 1TB Samsung 970 EVO - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
  • 3rd SSD Drive - 750GB SAMSUNG 840 EVO (Used for Dropbox and different files that I edit often, not video stuff but a lot of Photoshop and Illustrator)
  • 4th SSD Drive - 500GB Crucial and I have another 128GB SSD that was the OS drive from one of my older systems that I don't really use.
  • 3 Misc HDD's from old system for extra storage and backups

Power Supply - EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2 80+ PLATINUM

CPU Liquid Cooling - Enermax LiqTech 280

• Although I'm getting nervous about this one after reading the reviews on Amazon, the guy at the Micro Center store recommended it because it covers the full 2950x CPU but Amazon's reviews on this are horrible, any tips? I can still return it and get a Corsair or Cooler Master if needed.

Case - Cooler Master Cosmos C700p - I'm not a fan of it. It only has 2 brackets for mounting regular HDD's in it but I already put the system together and tearing it apart seems like too much hassle.

0 Likes
0 Replies