cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

smudger149
Journeyman III

FirePro M7740 windows 10

Could someone please help, "What are the latest OpenGL drivers available for my laptop?"

Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Can you please post the exact Laptop model you have with the M7740 GPU Card including the APU installed?

It is generally best to use your laptop's manufacturer's VGA Driver first before using AMD Generic drivers.

Download and post an image of GPU-Z and see what it shows for your GPU Card.

Also what program and version are you using that requires the latest OpenGL Drivers?

What VGA Driver and Windows OS versions do you now currently have installed?

Your M7740 GPU card seems to be in Legacy with no more updated AMD Drivers. At AMD Download page for your GPU Card it only shows drivers for Windows 7 (latest year 2012) and below Windows OSes.: https://www.amd.com/en/support/professional-graphics/mobile-platforms/firepro-mobility-series/firepr... 

The only AMD drivers are for a DELL LAPTOP.

The latest Laptop Professional Driver 19.Q3.1 for Windows 10 doesn't list your GPU card as being compatible: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-pro-win-19-q3-1 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Can you please post the exact Laptop model you have with the M7740 GPU Card including the APU installed?

It is generally best to use your laptop's manufacturer's VGA Driver first before using AMD Generic drivers.

Download and post an image of GPU-Z and see what it shows for your GPU Card.

Also what program and version are you using that requires the latest OpenGL Drivers?

What VGA Driver and Windows OS versions do you now currently have installed?

Your M7740 GPU card seems to be in Legacy with no more updated AMD Drivers. At AMD Download page for your GPU Card it only shows drivers for Windows 7 (latest year 2012) and below Windows OSes.: https://www.amd.com/en/support/professional-graphics/mobile-platforms/firepro-mobility-series/firepr... 

The only AMD drivers are for a DELL LAPTOP.

The latest Laptop Professional Driver 19.Q3.1 for Windows 10 doesn't list your GPU card as being compatible: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-pro-win-19-q3-1 

I believe I found two DELL Laptops that uses Intel APUs and M7740 GPU cards.

One is a Precision M6500 Dell Laptop:Support for Precision M6500 | Drivers & Downloads | Dell US . It also only has VGA drivers for Windows 7 and none for Windows 10:

Also Precision M6400 Dell Laptop: Support for Precision M6400 | Drivers & Downloads | Dell US 

Are any of these two models the laptop you have?

I would contact DELL SUPPORT and see if your laptop is compatible with Windows 10 and if it is then you can ask if you can upgrade the GPU Card to one that is supported by AMD for Windows 10.

Or upgrade your laptop to a newer supported Dell Model.

Hi Elstaci,

First of all, thank you so much for the help and quick reply.

You were correct, my laptop is a Dell Precision M6500 workstation.  

I've been running Windows 10 on the machine for several years now - I did the original free upgrade, all the original win 7 drivers work perfectly. Unfortunately, as you correctly say, Dell's support drivers only go up to the year 2012!

My issue now is I've installed the latest Cura 4.3 for 3D printing and some functions need updated OpenGL drivers to get the full list of functionality the program offers.  

I will contact Dell to see if I can replace the graphic card for a better, more up to date card.

To be honest, this is the first issue I've come across, and as the machine is still so fast -16Gb and 2 x SSD's installed, I'll probably just revert back to the previous version of Cura 4.23, everything else works fine for my needs.

Thank you so much for your help, links, and advice, it is very much appreciated.

Found the Dell Thread from a Dell Support showing all the GPU cards that can be upgraded on the M6500 Laptop: Graphics Card compatibility - Dell Community 

0 Likes