cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Finally have a graphics card RX 580 that works to some degree need help on games

I have read another thread from awhile ago and tried the "fixes" BUT it still is not working for even the simplest of games (like Facebook). 

I want to keep the RX 580 because it is better than the GTX 1060 and so much cheaper. BUT I also want to game. I can't if it keeps crashing (monitor will go black (sometimes white then black) and I have to restart. Upon restart I get "Default Radeon Wattman settings have been restored due to an unexpected system failure". Like I said I saw a thread that was actually labelled that and tried the suggested fixes but it hasn't helped. I have tried uninstalling by physically taking it out, deleting all files (even MSI) and then reinstalling and I get the same thing

I'm running an i5 6600, 16GB 24000 Ballistix, MSI Z170 Gaming M5, EVGA 500W Bronze. I have checked the HDMI cable and it seems to be fine (works great when running off the CPU). 

Is there a fix or is this just a bad card (it was refurbished) and bought from Newegg. I am getting tired of returning these cards. I have been at this for over 6 months and really just want to game.

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: Finally have a graphics card RX 580 that works to some degree need help on games

I agree it is frustrating that the RX 580's often do not work at default settings. Unfortunately the drivers are set to be compatible with reference specs and most of the cards released today are factory overclocked and the drivers don't supply a high enough power ceiling or fan settings to keep them cool enough. This leads to graphical hangs or black screens where the audio keeps playing in the background. It also continually resets your settings to defaults every time the driver resets.

To alleviate this issue set your power limit to 50 and use a custom fan and temp curve. I have included mine for reference don't follow my speed clocks just the power limit and fan temp curve.

You can play with clock speed once you get the rest stable.

Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Re: Finally have a graphics card RX 580 that works to some degree need help on games

Thanks thanks thanks. Now I can FINALLY game, 6 months after I started all this lol.

Lesson I learned, Never sell my old computer before I finish the new one.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

You are very welcome. Glad it did help.

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I was going to sell or change my computer just because I was getting instant blue screen errors.. With your settings, my rig is steady as hell... Where were you man?!  Thanks a lot a lot a lot... 

"And damn ATi doing nothing to resolve this issue on radeon software ... "

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

I understand and I have actually moved on from my RX 580 as my main card for exactly the reason of instability. It is working for me about 95% of the time with those settings but I still had some games where I have issues. Now that I have it in a machine that I am only pushing 1080p not 1440p it doesn't throttle as much and is that much more stable.

Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Sadly, when I tried to go into settings I somehow can't get global:

I click on AMD Settings and get this:

pastedImage_1.png

I click on gaming and get this:

pastedImage_2.png

I have uninstalled, reinstalled and keep getting this. I was abe to get into Global but I don't know what has happened

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

click on the global settings tab

Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

That helped immensely. I guess I was blind because I saw the games but overlooked the global settings lol. I downloaded the majority of my games and haven't had much trouble, except I did leave my pc on overnight and when I came back the graphics was a bit funky but I restarted and loaded the new profile and knock wood it has been great and the detail amazing more than I ever expected. I truly am loving this card now. I am so grateful and thankful.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

I wish they would take global settings and just make it a tab on the main page. It is confusing if you don't know what to look for. It adds another layer that just doesn't need to be there IMHO. Glad you found it!