Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Mortadella
Adept I

Faulty hardware

Hello,

I've been having issues with my AMD build ever since I bought it (18 months ago or so). The issue is that every time I try to play a game, the game would either crash, or my PC would restart. I never have time to actually take the PC to the shop for someone to look at it and confirm what hardware is faulty and causing these crashes, and I know it's a hardware issue for sure because any software-related problems are something I already tried fixing, and I don't have any hardware I could use as a replacement to find the cause of these issues.

I ran multiple stress tests, memtest86, heaven, watched the temperatures while doing it and they were about 80C at max capacity for a couple of hours which is fine. Never crashed/restarted while doing these tests, only while gaming. I was playing with BIOS, tried with XMP profiles on and off, tried underclocking, and overclocking, changed AMD Adrenalin settings to performance, and gaming, then tried custom settings enabling and disabling different options, but nothing helped. Ofc I tried clean uninstalling drivers, installing to an older version, and trying the latest one, but none of it helped.

I have long lost my patience with this computer and I am on the edge of just throwing it in the trash and getting a completely new build, but wanted to give this a try before I do it as last resort.

If the build below is good for internet browsing only, I could do the same thing with a $400 build and don't feel this bad about it. I have a $1600 PC sitting here crashing every time I try to play a game and it's driving me completely insane.

PC Specs: 
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core Processor, 3801 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
BaseBoard Product B450 TOMAHAWK MAX (MS-7C02)
RAM Kingston HyperX 16GB 3200MHz
Graphics card: AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT
Can't remember the PSU I bought but it's a 750W one, so power shouldn't be a problem with these specs.

Thank you.

4 Replies
Moist
Adept III

Very similar to an old build I had like 2 years ago or so. Also same issues took me a year to figure out that I had faulty memory on the 5600XT because the computer was only used at work. I know you've done stress tests without crashing I did as well but maybe try OCCT and test your GPU memory? It's what I found was the issue with mine. I ended up doing an RMA with ASUS as it was a partner card but at least if you figure out the issue it may help. Not sure if you've tried with a single stick instead of 2 sticks of ram either but that's another thing not mentioned you could try without the purchase of new hardware.

Hey, thank you for your reply!

Yeah I tried with one Ram stick and changed up the channels to see if I get different results, it's slightly better with one stick but ultimately I still have the same issues.

I will run the GPU test you mentioned and see if I find something, otherwise I might try to replace it with my brother's and see if I have the same issue. I suspect the GPU the most but wanted to make sure before I start buying new parts you know.

I'll send the update when I finish testing, and thanks again!

Dave65
Journeyman III

One thing I can think of, not all 750 watt PSUs are the same, some are complete garbage. I would look at your PSU get the brand and post it, or just try a good reputable PSU manufacturer like EVGA or Corsair.. I have many people with same problems and it all came down to PSU.

Just a thought.

Mortadella
Adept I

Honestly, I hope it's the PSU, but I have no way of confirming that. I may as well get a new one and see how that goes. I also ran OCCT for 2 hours, with no crashes or restarts. I remembered I tried it some time ago and it ran perfectly fine, this time I had no issues as well. The highest GPU temp was 62C.
I'll see if I can try the new components one by one without actually buying them, and hopefully, that will give some results. It's weird that the PSU would cause the game to crash tho, right?

I also forgot to mention one thing, when I check the Event Viewer, I get the following errors:

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 10

The APIC ID would change every time, it would show 0, then 10, then 11, and so on, but this message pops up a lot. Is this any indication of what it might be?

Thank you all!

0 Likes