cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

palingenesis
Adept I

Fan control and tuning not working (RX6650XT)

I just got the AMD Radeon RX 6650 XT Challenger D 8GB OC and have been trying to get the fan settings to work in AMD Adrenalin. 

The thing is, the fans work. But they are either completely off, or ramping up to 3000+ RPMS. No matter the setting I do, limiting them to a 30 percent fixed speed or have them set to a speed for a certain temperature, they only seem to have one speed.

They will kick in once a certain temperature is reached, but as I have said, only to what sounds and looks like max speeds of 3000 RPM and above. Screenshot 2022-07-23 234932.png

Any suggestions? I've also tried  other tweaking software like Afterburner and the ASRock Tweaker, but I get the same results: full fan speeds, or none at all.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Not sure on this regarding the fan speed lower than 35, I'm sure there is a reason, perhaps just a firmware restriction?

However to answer my own question, I got my replacement from ASRock a few days ago and this card appears to working normally. Previously, with the back card, I could not set a fan curve at all, no matter the temperature. With my replacement, the fan speeds are normal and I can actually set a fan curve other than on, or off.

So, in short, if you're having similar issues, your card might be bad and I would seek a refund or replacement before the initial warranty is up.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
vialli100
Forerunner

A lot of GPU's come with a dual bios switch, most have a performance mode and normal mode..

See if yours has the little switch somewhere, it will be a small cut out on the PCB and tiny switch..

If it has try switching it over..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes

Ah, no such luck finding a dual bios switch. I doubt it would be under cooler and stuff, they are normally on the outer edges readily accessible right? 

I didn't take off the back plate or cooler, but I couldn't find one or labeled, in either case I couldn't find one. Any other ideas?

0 Likes

Try GPU Tweak from Asrock website, link below.. 

ASRock > AMD Radeon RX 6650 XT Challenger D 8GB OC

Scroll down the page.. choose Win10 or 11 from drop down list..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes

I have tried multiple GPU tweaking softwares: Afterburner, Sapphire Trixx, AMD Adrenalin and BOTH available versions of ASRock Tweaker. No dice on all of them, same result: the fan control settings are not respected. Either all the way on, or all the way off.

After calling ASRock tech support, they said the card is likely defective because you should be able to control the speeds and set a custom curve.

I have sent it back for a replacement.

0 Likes
ssawgift
Adept III

Just curious, I see that you can enter fan speed less than 35. I am not able to enter any number lower than 35. Are there some math theories behind min/max fan speed and temperature?

0 Likes

Not sure on this regarding the fan speed lower than 35, I'm sure there is a reason, perhaps just a firmware restriction?

However to answer my own question, I got my replacement from ASRock a few days ago and this card appears to working normally. Previously, with the back card, I could not set a fan curve at all, no matter the temperature. With my replacement, the fan speeds are normal and I can actually set a fan curve other than on, or off.

So, in short, if you're having similar issues, your card might be bad and I would seek a refund or replacement before the initial warranty is up.

0 Likes