cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

dimakapple
Journeyman III

Fallout 4 does not Recognize my AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT card

I'm not sure I am in the correct spot for this but recently I switched from a nvidia card to an amd card.  Since I have done this Fallout 4 does not recognize my card.  I have went to the Bethesda website for troubleshooting and when I try to follow the instructions but it only gives instructions that were relevant to an older AMD video software launcher.  I have forced the game to go into ultra mode and it works but it wants to do wide angle so parts of the game are not on the monitor.  Now I did have two monitors and one was a wide angle and it died and now I am just using a conventional monitor HP 27w.  I tried reinstalling the game (complete delete), turning off mods, and doing a repair and I am getting nothing.  I am using AMD vid driver 20.12.1 (just updated today and tried to see if it would work) but still the same issue.  Do I need to tweak the files in fallout 4?  Should I go back to Bethesda and see if they have a different solution for the current software?  My other games work perfectly fine (well not sure about skyrim bc I have not fired that one up), I mean even New Vegas works fine which completely baffles me...

0 Likes
8 Replies
RPX100
Miniboss

My guess is: your game settings are still present even after uninstalling the game.
The uninstall-process most likely did not touch the config files at all.
Which means, you will have to delete the game's settings by hand.

I don't have Fallout 4 installed, but I googled for the config file folder location:
"C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\Fallout4"
Check this folder for any savegame data you might want to backup.
If you have the game on Steam and your SteamCloudSaves are active, then it should not matter.
And then delete any *.ini file you can find. Maybe even a folder named "config".

One other important thing that comes to mind:
Did you uninstall the Nvidia Drivers in Windows Safe Mode before installing the new GPU and driver?
Safest way would be to use DisplayDriverUninstaller (DDU, from guru3d.com) in Safe Mode.

--- [ CPU: Ryzen 7 3800XT | GPU: ASRock RX 5700XT Challenger Pro 8GB | driver: 24.1.1 ]
--- [ MB: MSI B550-A Pro AGESA 1.2.0.7 | RAM: 2x 16GB 3600-CL16 | chipset: 6.01.25.342 ]

@dimakapple were you able to solve the problem?

--- [ CPU: Ryzen 7 3800XT | GPU: ASRock RX 5700XT Challenger Pro 8GB | driver: 24.1.1 ]
--- [ MB: MSI B550-A Pro AGESA 1.2.0.7 | RAM: 2x 16GB 3600-CL16 | chipset: 6.01.25.342 ]
0 Likes

Sorry for the late late reply been really busy lately.  I did the full uninstall and that didn't work.  I used the tool you told me use and deleted all the old nVidia drivers and that didn't work either.  I manually set it to ultra settings and it works fine but still small text on certain parts of the game that I have not experienced before I swapped video cards but it is still playable.  Not sure what is causing this odd behaviour but I guess for now I can reach out to Bethesda and see what they think.  

0 Likes
benman2785
Big Boss

here a pro tipp: if changing GPU from Nvidia to AMD always reinstall windows (as Nvidia does alot of stuff to your Windows)

at first disable Win10 auto-driver-install
you can try to use DDU in safe-mode (needs to be activated) to clean your old Nvidia driver AND your current AMD driver
download latest AMD driver and install it - reboot - test

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

Did DDU in safemode but reinstalling windows??  That really sucks to have to do that just to get a new video card put in.  :smileysad:  but do I need to do a clean install or just a repair of windows bc I have a lot of stuff on my pc and I know how much fun it is to do a clean install.  

0 Likes

Let us know if the game devs reply and if they come up with a solution.
If you deleted the config files and it is still using other settings, then there might be more config files somewhere else.

Using DDU in Safe Mode should clean up all the left over files, including registry changes.
That does only affect driver settings, tho. I don't think the old driver would change your text size within the game.
It sounds like you still need to find and reset the config of the game.

0 Likes

try reinstalling the game - cleaning all temp data, all settings from the game etc...

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

Still working with bethesda on the issue and so far I totally wiped out steam and fallout 4 again and all my games in steam and I am still having the issue.  The only thing I have not done is reinstalled windows but for now if I force it to ultra it will work but at this time going to wait on windows reinstall unless bethesda states that would be a good idea, I'm just going to see what they have to say first before going all the way.  

0 Likes