cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

erikp1997
Journeyman III

Fake Radeon RX580?

For a while now I've had suspicions that my MSI Radeon RX 580 4GB may be a fake. However I just want some backup in proving it. AFAIK the RX 580 4GB base clock is 1360 mhz, but the info I get in GPU-Z is that the base clock is only 1100 mhz, and the memory speed is 1920 mhz.

0 Likes
4 Replies
mittwaffen
Adept III

Open up Wattman overclocking software and send us screenshots also hardware info from there.

0 Likes

Where did you purchase the GPU Card? 

If you purchased it at Ebay or Amazon Marketplace it could be a fake.

From the creators of GPU-Z, at TechPowerUp, here are all the RX 580 vBIOSes they have to download. It shows the Speed and Memory and Boost. If you click on "Details" below "Download" it will take you to the RX 580 Spec page for that particular RX 580: VGA Bios Collection | TechPowerUp 

You can probably open a MSI Support ticket and give them the GPU card's Serial Number. They should be able to tell you if it is a fake or not.

According to GPU=Z under Device ID it shows 1002 / 67DF which according to this website is the correct Device ID for the RX Gpu cards:

The problem with that though is I not sure if GPU-Z gets the Device ID from the GPU's vBIOS or from the GPU Card itself.

Best way is to find the Serial Number and report it to MSI to see if it is a valid RX 580 Serial Number from MSI.

I have a Asus GTX 1070 and everything corresponds with TechPowerUp vBIOS and GPU Specs:

0 Likes

This website give some good pointers at weeding out Fake GPU Cards: How to spot a fake GPU? | Tom's Hardware Forum 

A Couple of comments from the above link:

Luke Hamilton :
Is there a way to check if the GPU is legit or not?

1. Where is it purchased from?
Ebay has a far higher likelihood of fake.
Shipping direct from China as well.
2. Price. New + much cheaper than retail points to fake
3. Looks.
Does it look exactly like something you see at Newegg/AMazon or the manufacturer?
4. Fine print in the ad copy.
Read everything
5. Performance. But by then, you've already coughed up the money.

Luke Hamilton :
Is there a way to check if the GPU is legit or not?
Why do you want to know?
If you are buying a gpu used, on ebay, you do get some protections if you have the ability to test it out.
Some fakes can be very sophisticated so who you buy from needs to have a good reputation.
Match up the specs with what you see on GPU-Z.
Search using the serial number to see if it matches.
Some of those fakes will have their VBIOS modified to report bogus specs so you can't trust GPU-Z either
One possibility is that the original Owner modified the vBIOS and downclocked the GPU making it run slower than its factory settings.

erikp1997
Journeyman III

I managed to extract the Vbios. Is that worthwhile to submit in order for someone to view it?

0 Likes