cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

ovizarde
Journeyman III

Errors 116(Bluescreen), 117 and 141(LiveKernelEvent)

Problem: Random blackscreens and hangs/freezes (audio goes on for some time)

'Random' bugs as in simple video playing crashes more than Shadow of Tomb raider,

crashes seems to happen more and more in frequency,

sometimes it recoveres itself but usually i have to restart pc,

underclocking helped a bit

---

Windows security reports (A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.) :

LiveKernelEvent

Code: 117

&

LiveKernelEvent

Code: 141

---

Specs:

Windows 10 64bit Pro

Motherboard: ASRock AB350m

Bios Version: 2.40

RAM: Kingston Fury X 8GB 2400MHz

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4.GHz/ 1.37v

CPU Fan: LC Power Cosmo cool (120mm), stable, 30c idle, maybe 80c on 100% usage

GPU: AMD Sapphire R9 270x (dual-x 2G D5), temperatures never exceed ~65c

PSU: LC Power 600w (LC600H-12 V2.31)

Drives: Kingston SSD 240 GB + 1TB hd

---

Tried:

- Different drivers (DDU before install)

- native windows drivers, windows 10 always updated

- slightly more stable when underclocked via AMD Overdrive 1070-> 990MHz clock/ 1400 -> 1200MHz memory / +20% power,

lately metrics says that my memory is running on 1400MHz even thought its set on 1200MHz with global overdrive

---

Details:

RadeonSettings.exe APPCRASH fault modules are: Qt5Quick.dll, Qt5Core.dll, atidxx64.dll

Dump files state that:

This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (0xFFFFF80FA310F99C)

Bugcheck code: 0x141 (0xFFFFD98AB6E00010, 0xFFFFF80FA310F99C, 0x0, 0x768)

Error: VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED

---

I just lost my job (sob sob sad story ) so any help is appreciated, i would hate to cash out right now for a new GPU to find out that it's a driver problem

Please and thank you

0 Likes
4 Replies
ovizarde
Journeyman III

"Please note: your content was added successfully, but a moderator needs to approve it before it can be posted."

Can mods approve this so someone can actually see this?

Edit --- Thanks

0 Likes
ovizarde
Journeyman III

Dying breath of Le Bump

0 Likes

Here is Microsoft explanation and possible causes for your three error (all deals with Video):

1) Bug Check 0x116 VIDEO_TDR_ERROR - Windows drivers | Microsoft Docs

Resolution

The GPU is taking more time than permitted to display graphics to your monitor. This behavior can occur for one or more of the following reasons:

• You may need to install the latest updates for your display driver, so that it properly supports the TDR process.
  • Hardware issues that impact the ability of the video card to operate properly, including:Visual effects, or too many programs running in the background may be slowing your PC down so that the video card can not respond as necessary.
    • Over-clocked components, such as the motherboard
    • Incorrect component compatibility and settings (especially memory configuration and timings)
    • Insufficient system cooling
    • Insufficient system power
    • Defective parts (memory modules, motherboards, etc.)

2) Bug Check 0x117 VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED - Windows drivers | Microsoft Docs

Resolution

The GPU is taking more time than permitted to display graphics to your monitor. This behavior can occur for one or more of the following reasons:

• You may need to install the latest updates for your display driver, so that it properly supports the TDR process.
  • Hardware issues that impact the ability of the video card to operate properly, including:
    • Over-clocked components, such as the motherboard
    • Incorrect component compatibility and settings (especially memory configuration and timings)
    • Insufficient system cooling
    • Insufficient system power
    • Defective parts (memory modules, motherboards, etc.)
  • Visual effects, or too many programs running in the background may be slowing your PC down so that the video card can not respond as necessary.

3) Bug Check 0x141 VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED - Windows drivers | Microsoft Docs

Bug Check 0x141: VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED

The VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED bug check has a value of 0x00000141. This indicates that one of the display engines failed to respond in timely fashion.

Important This topic is for programmers. If you are a customer who has received a blue screen error code while using your computer, see Troubleshoot blue screen errors.

Have you tried to change the TDR from 2 seconds to 8 seconds to see if the problem occurs less or stop through the Registry?

Also you might want to consider to stress test your GPU and CPU to see how they react under very heavy loads.  You also should download a free Hardware monitoring software like Open Hardware or HWHardware to check on your computer's various temperatures and voltages to see if you see anything out of the ordinary.

You can use Ryzen Master (Took the place of AMD Overdrive) to keep and eye on and configure your Ryzen CPU. Gives the best temperature measurements for Ryzen CPUs. You can download the latest Ryzen Master for your CPU from here:  AMD Ryzen™ 5 1600 Drivers & Support | AMD

Here is AMD latest R9 270X Driver: AMD Radeon™ R9 270X Drivers & Support | AMD .

elstaci TY for detailed reply,

I suspect ASRock b350 board to be the bad guy here,

thought my cpu oc was stable because it endured stress tests (prime95, renders, encryptions aka 100% usage) and modern AAA games but got random driver crashes with no pattern.

i guess the cheap parts on mobo dont go along with power spikes when cpu is overclocked from bios and gpu draws power at the same time (underclocking gpu did good in some small part).

also the strange thing is that the instability issues were rising by each day until i even got visual glitches (???).

then i reset my cpu to factory settings and it's much more stable now.

anyway if that isnt the case i have zero clue. probably never gonna cheap out on mb again.

PS also stay away from asrock

---Edit

Now trying OC over RyzenMaster instead of bios, same speed (4ghz@1.35) seems more stable so far, cant claim for certain.

Will update after a day or two, maybe someone else finds this useful.

0 Likes