cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

mdbrad
Journeyman III

Dual Monitors with Different Refresh Rates

In short, whenever I am playing a game on my 144hz monitor and I open an application my 60hz monitor that has some sort of video (some that I have used are YouTube in Chrome, Twitch app & in Chrome, and Discord only when using webcams), it causes my game on my 144hz monitor to seemingly drop frames/become laggy.

After looking it up, I finally was able to deduce that this is a common problem for people with two monitors that have different refresh rates. This supposedly happened because of a Windows update back in 2015 or so that causes the refresh rate to sync across monitors and the only way to truly fix it was to turn off the Aero setting but only if you have Windows 7 as it is not possible in Windows 10. I have seen many suggestions of how to fix this issue but none of which have worked for me. I didn't see too many recent posts that were answered so I thought I would bring this up in here to see if anyone has a fix for this???

P.S. I have turned hardware acceleration off in every program and it doesn't work. I also do not have an igpu.

Thank you!

Main Monitor:

Gigabyte AORUS FI27q - 144hz (DisplayPort)

Freesync enabled

Secondary Monitor:

Acer KG281k - 60hz (HDMI)

Freesync enabled

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x

GPU: AMD Radeon 5700xt

Edit: this problem only occurs when playing in borderless/windowed full screen. If I put it in full screen it seems to fix itself. Although alt+tabbing our of fullscreen is annoying.

4 Replies
rivem0dz
Adept I

I have a 144hz and secondary 75hz monitor. And I don't have this problem. I have an RX 5600 XT.

0 Likes
miszhu
Journeyman III

I have same problem. Did you solve this?

0 Likes
KeSch
Journeyman III

The problem persists until now, even with Windows 11 and an ASUS Radeon 6650 XT connected to two different LG Monitors both via Displayport.

Monitor 1: LG UltraGear 27GP850, 165Hz, Displayport 1.4

Monitor 2: LG 29BN650, 75Hz, Displayport 1.2

Already tried different cables, three different Radeon drivers, also tried to lower the refresh rate of Monitor 1 to 144 and 120, but no luck.

Any suggestions or possible solutions on that?

0 Likes
Niickeriino
Journeyman III

I have got the exact same problem 2 monitors, main 4k resolution with 144hz and secondary fullhd with 60hz refresh rate. Its been happening for a while and I did not know what the problem was, I have switched main to 60hz and secondary to 59.94hz and that did it for me, but it sucks that I have to play on lower refresh rate...

Just to add I have tried over 30 other different things, including some drastic one, like reinstalling windows and none helped me except this.

0 Likes