Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Dual monitor crash PC

Hi! From yesterday I got an issue with my dual monitor setup. When I plugged in 2nd monitor to my graphic card everything was okay for 4 minutes, then my PC crashed. It crashes all the time after 5 minutes of using my deskopt. I tried to instal new drivers (adrenaline 20.8.3) but it's still not working. When I unplugg 2nd monitor everything was good, please help me

My PC's specs:

CPU: Ryzen 3 3100
GPU: Sapphire RX570 Pulse 8GB
MOBO: Gigabyte B450M S2H
PSU: SilentiumPC Vero L3 500w
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: Dual monitor crash PC

Possibly your 500 Watt PSU can't support Dual Monitors (Power issue) or you have some other hardware issue such as Overheating or Overclocking.

According to a PSU Website you need a minimum of 500 Watt PSU with a computer with a RX570 GPU card. Which means you have the minimum PSU wattage for your GPU card installed. (AMD recommends a 450 Watt PSU minimum)

Plus your Ryzen 3 3100 uses according to this 3dguru website: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 and 3300X processor review - Power Consumption and temperatures 

69 Watts at System Idle

92 Watts Single Thread Load

126 Watts Mult-thread Load

Install a monitoring software and check your computer's hardware temperatures and PSU outputs with one Monitor connected and then with Two monitors connected.

How does your PC crash? Just turns off by itself as though you hit the On/Off or Restart computer case switches?

If it does then you have either a Overheating, Power, Overclocking, GPU or driver issue.

Personally I believe a 500 Watt PSU should be sufficient to run dual monitors unless you have a cheap or old PSU that is not outputting 500 Watts of power any more.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Monitor crashes just like u said, like I've press restart button on case.

Temperatures ale good, when I'm playing GTA V on highest graphic settings max temp. of GPU is about 70 degrees and 55-60 CPU, I wasn't overclocking my Ryzen at all. Its default 3,6GHz clock with 3.9GHz in Turbo mode and Default voltage 1.1v. When idle CPU temp. is ~41 degrees and GPU ~37 degrees with 1 monitor connected.

Screens with 1 monitor connected:

hwinfo 1.pnghwinfo 2.pnghwinfo 3.png

And there are screens with dual monitor setup:

2 monit 1.png

2 monit 2.png2 monit 3.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

-Your CPU temps are very good and so are your GPU temps.

-by any chance see if you have in BIOS settings concerning Power supply idle control - Typical Current Idle or Low Current Idle and set it to "Typical Current Idle" and not set at "Low Current Idle" .  This sometimes causes the computer to reboot due to PSU issues with this setting.

What is power supply idle control?
Power supply idle control is a motherboard setting for older (or cheaper) power supplies. A power supply requires a positive power draw to continue to feed power to the motherboard, if it detects a low power draw it assumes that the motherboard is in sleep mode, so it turns off until there's noticeable power draw.
-If that doesn't help then try to replicate the crashing by running a Diagnostic software like OCCT.
-Run the CPU and GPU and PSU tests to see if it crashes under intense Stress for your hardware. If it does, post back which test or tests caused the crashing to occur.
-Also check your Windows Power plan and see if it helps changing to different Power plans.
-Do you have any errors in Windows Device Manager with both Monitors connected?
Also check Windows Event Viewer under "Errors" and see if you see anything related to a driver  .
Al
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

You might also want to check your RAM MEMORY to be sure you don't have any defective RAM modules using MEMTEST86 or even Windows Memory Tester.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

I tried everything u wrote. 

- Changed in BIOS Power Supply Mode to Typical

- I've been using OCCT for CPU GPU and PSU for 20 min. each, no errors

- Tested RAM in Windows Memory Test, no errors

- Tried to change all Power Plans, since Highest performance to Energy Saving

- In Windows Event Viewer I noticed this:

windows event viewer.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

After all that you second monitor still crashes the computer?

I see you are having the same WHEA Error 18 as other are having which are also causing computer crashes. There is an open AMD Forum thread about that specific error. Maybe you might want to take a look at it and see if it applies to your situation or not from here: https://community.amd.com/thread/255586 

I find it really difficult to believe connecting a second monitor will crash a computer since it uses so little wattage to run. Unless the cable is defective or GPU or driver is defective. 

Run in a elevated Command Prompt or Powershell  the following command - SFC /scannow - and see if any errors shows up. This will fix any Windows OS Corruption or missing files.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

I've used cmd to scan and it did not found any errors

Later I'll try to update my BIOS to newest version. 

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Truthfully, I am out of suggestions. Your computer seems to be in good shape with all tests coming back good.

The only suggestion I have it try a different GPU card in your computer and see if it still crashes with 2 monitors connected or install the GPU card in another compatible computer and see if it crashes with 2 monitors connected. 

This will eliminate the GPU card as being defective

Note: you can open a Gigabyte Support and AMD Online Service Request (Official AMD SUPPORT) and see what they recommend.

AMD Online Service Request : https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

Also maybe a the manufacturer of your PSU Support site and see if they believe it might be a PSU issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Unfortunate I don't have the other GPU to check it. A while ago I tried to disable some options in AMD GPU software like HDMI Link Assurance, Lag Input etc. but it still doesn't work  I'll try to write to AMD service or SPC support (PSU Support) to ask them what they're thinking about this issue. Thanks for your answers elstaci, I was hoping that your advices would work but that was not enough  Anyway thanks one more time!