Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Edward06
Adept I

Driver compatibility issue with Windows 10-21H2

History of the problem

I have a desktop PC model HP 18-ALL-IN-ONE 18-5202la and I have used it since 2014, at first with Windows 8.1 and then I updated it to Windows 10 when it just started to come out, and everything was fine, it was a little slow, but nothing exaggerated, until just a few weeks ago I renewed it, because it was already too slow, I could spend 30 minutes opening a Word file. So, I have renewed it with a Kingstone A400 SSD and bought the exact same RAM model that came from the Factory, to avoid RAM incompatibilities getting a total of 8GB at 1600 MHz (although the official motherboard page says that it only supports up to 1333MHz, a 1600Mhz came from the Factory so I decided to buy an equivalent one, and they work only at 1333MHz, which is normal and understandable) and obviously I did a cleaning maintenance and everything was correct without problems, I cleaned everything very very well and I had no complications, I checked that everything was fine and correct 4 different times on different occasions and everything was fine. I did not modify the BIOS or anything, since it was not necessary to see that the latest version of Windows 10, 21H2, was installed correctly with a bootable USB, so I proceeded to install the Drivers manually from the official page of my HP PC, Even when I finished with the HP Assistant Program I did a Drivers check and everything was fine.

Problem

However, after doing all that, I noticed that the screen would freeze every two or 3 seconds approximately, in addition to being very slow, I noticed that the processor in the Task Manager is almost always at 99% use, without opening anything more than the same Task Manager.

Possible solutions

At first, I did not know what the problem was, I installed the Graphics driver from the support page of the PC manufacturer, but as the problem continued I decided to uninstall that driver and install the driver from the AMD Processor support page, and It didn't work either, so reading a bit about the freezing issue I thought it was the RAM somehow, so I changed it the same for other equal ones only 1333MHz as the motherboard support page says, and the problem still continued so I left them the 1600Mhz even if they worked at 1333MHz. Afterwards, I did an OS optimization successfully, rebooted and followed the problem.

I checked that the temperatures were good, the Hardware performance was good and the only thing that failed there is that the processor always worked at 99%, but I solved it, and now it only happens when I turn off and on again, it does not happen always anymore, only when I open a program or even sometimes without doing anything it goes up to 99% but only for a little while.

I have fully updated OS from Windows Update, Updated Drivers, everything. But it still doesn't work properly.

I have read forums, docs, pages and everything I could find related to my problem and I have found it to be a Graphics Driver compatibility issue with Windows 10 starting from the 1993 version of W10 with AMD APU processors in general.

Urgent help

Please, my problem is that with what I have read in this forum, it is recommended to start with secure boot but since I just installed Windows, it is not that I have an older version or something like that and I cannot do that. The Hard Drive has stopped working since it was old, so it is not an option to put it back. Anyway, change the mouse and keyboard just in case it worked well but neither. Please, I need a solution. I can share any Screenshot images you need. Please give me a concrete solution and not just a CopyPaste.

Technical specifications:

Model: HP ALL-IN-ONE 18-5202la

Processor: AMD E1-6010 with Radeon R2

RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) at 1600MHz Hynix HMT451S6BFR8A-PB

Primary storage: A400 Kingstone SSD

Links used:

PC support page:

https://support.hp.com/mx-es/product/hp-18-5200-all-in-one-desktop-pc-series/7161770/model/7269113 

PC Drivers Page:

https://support.hp.com/mx-es/drivers/selfservice/hp-18-5200-all-in-one-desktop-pc-series/7161770/mod... 

Processor Drivers Support Page:

https://www.amd.com/es/support/previous-drivers/apu/amd-e-series-processors/amd-e1-series-apu-for-la... 

Motherboard Support Page:

https://support.hp.com/mx-es/product/hp-18-5200-all-in-one-desktop-pc-series/7161770/model/7269113/d... 

Information source pages:

https://answers.microsoft.com/es-es/windows/forum/all/pantalla-se-congela-constantemente-windows-10/... 

https://answers.microsoft.com/es-es/windows/forum/all/problema-con-drivers-de-gr%C3%A1ficos-amd-wind... 

https://answers.microsoft.com/es-es/windows/forum/all/mi-pc-se-congela-cada-2-segundos/a8893909-3ffe... 

Thank you for your Attention, Time and Commitment.

0 Likes
15 Replies

Did you install the correct AMD driver? All-in-ones are just big laptops and run mobility software.

Screenshot_1.png

https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/amd-e-series-processors/amd-e1-series-apu-for-laptops/e1-6010-rad...

I did install the correct drivers for the corresponding processor.

https://www.amd.com/es/support/previous-drivers/apu/amd-e-series-processors/amd-e1-series-apu-for-la... 

0 Likes

Do you have the Preview version of Windows 10 21H2 that is due in October?

If you have the Preview version of Windows 10 21H2 that is probably why you are having issues. Also your APU is legacy now and the last AMD Driver on 06.21.2021 may not be compatible with Windows 10 21H2 which AMD doesn't support yet because it hasn't been released to the public yet.

Your description is a bit confusing.

Have you wiped your OS drive and done a Full Install?  Or are you trying to bring forth an old version with updates?

The cleanest way is to always start fresh. Install your OS,   then the correct chipset driver, then other drivers.

If you try to update then update again, you are just asking for unnecessary headaches.

0 Likes

Sorry for the confusion, I am from Mexico and my learning in English is not that good. I did everything from 0, the installation is brand new. The chipset driver I don't know what it is.

0 Likes

I think if I have the preview version. Okay, so what version of W10 do you recommend installing? 21H1, or 20H2 or 20H1?

So, as it is a legacy APU, will I no longer be able to update W10 in the future?

0 Likes

Having a legacy APU will not affect updating Windows in the future except maybe Windows 11 which your processor won't be compatible with that new Windows OS.

By having a Legacy AMD APU Processor just means that AMD will not provide anymore AMD Graphics driver updates for your processor's Integrated Graphics.

The last AMD driver for your Integrated Graphics will be 06/21/2021.

You can wait til October when the version you have becomes official and AMD starts supporting it but you can always downgrade to the latest official Windows 10 version 21H1

0 Likes

I just realized that in the first installation of W10 I put the 21H2 but in the second attempt I made it has the 21H1, and since the graphics driver is not compatible with that version apparently, so which one do you recommend to put? The 20H2?

0 Likes

Actually the AMD Driver should be compatible. The problem could be another reason. What I meant to say that maybe it wasn't compatible is that AMD Driver depends on the latest Windows Updates to be installed. If you had Preview Windows Updates installed it might not be 100% compatible.

You have a Pre-Windows 10 PC that came originally with Windows 8.1: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04451607

Found this HP Support page that shows all the HP PC/Laptops/AIO that are compatible with the various Windows 10 versions: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_3913140-3876462-16

I couldn't locate your HP AIO as being listed which means that HP didn't test that model to see if it is compatible with Windows 10 or version of Windows 10 unless your AIO is called by another name officially:

HP products tested with Windows 10

The information below lists HP products that have been tested with the Windows 10 May 2021 Update (version 21H1). Any PC product that is not listed in the Windows 10 May 2021 Update table was not tested by HP for this update and may not be supported by HP for Windows 10.

For more information from Microsoft on the Windows 10 May 2021 Update, go to https://support.microsoft.com/windows (in English).

If you still want to proceed with using Windows 10 on an untested system, go to the Microsoft Windows support site (in English) for information and support.

What are the exact errors you are getting when you try to install the AMD driver?

What are the BSOD or crash errors you are getting?

Check Device Manager and see if your APU Integrated Graphics is recognized. If it has a Yellow Mark or error try updating the driver through Device Manager.

If Device Manager does have an error what is the error that is showing?

Freezing could be caused by many issues. When the APU is running at 99% what does Task Manager show that is causing that issue to occur?

According to my first post, I went through all the error possibilities, the only one I know that really fails is the APU drivers, the driver installation has always been correct, however, I know that it does not work correctly as the screen locks every 2 or 3 seconds.

There are no BSOD errors.

All drivers are up-to-date and have no Device Manager errors.

It only has the APU, there is no second GPU.

Yes I read that after writing my last reply. Sorry about repeating what you have done already.

Reread you original post and you mentioned it started a few weeks ago after you updated Windows 10 BUT replaced the Windows Drive with a new SSD.

It is possibly your SSD is not fully compatible with your motherboard. I would open a Support ticket with the SSD Manufacturer and ask them if your symptoms could be due to the SSD not be fully compatible with the Motherboard and its drivers.

Unfortunately you can't upgrade the APU in your PC. 

Have you run HP Diagnostics to see if it sees any software issues or possibly Hardware issues?

Your APU last AMD Driver from 06.21.2021 shows  that it is still supported in Windows 10.

I would open a HP Support ticket and see if they believe it could be due to the Windows OS version you have installed or the new SSD you have installed or post your question at HP Forums if you haven't done those two actions yet.

I, myself, have been having issues where my PC freezes for a few seconds every so often for quite a while now with a Ryzen 3700X.  Generally it freezes when the HDD LED light is shown as being on solid. I just waiting to see if it is a Windows issue or a program I have installed issue.

Otherwise I am out of suggestions.

EDIT: Freezing could also be symptoms of bad sectors in a HDD/SSD. I would run CHKDSK /F/X/R to check your Windows drive for errors just to eliminate a failing Windows drive if you haven't done that yet that is.

0 Likes

From your HP OEM Motherboard specs: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04369170

Needed to edited this reply. I went to a website that showed your AIO Manual and I see that it does seem to use a SATA 2.5" drive.

Besides the APU Integrated Graphics it could also be your SSD is not fully compatible with your HP OEM Motherboard.

Yes, the Pc comes with W8, however, when I upgraded to one of the first versions of the W10 I had no problem.

I have already answered the questions, except for one.
There are 3 programs that consume a lot and maintain 99%. 1. System. 2. Windows Defender. 3. Task Manager. This happens even when I only have the task manager open.

With the Hp diagnostics program I ran all the hardware tests and had no problems. Even from the SSD, it was fully supported.

The PC at the beginning comes with a SATA-type HDD and for which the SDD is compatible, I could also verify it when I saw that when installing drivers or starting windows I had no problem, I also performed a stress test of the SSD with an external program and I had no problem.

Okay to recap then, let me know If I am mistaken or I am correct. 

Everything was working fine UNTIL you did 3 things to your AIO PC:]

1- You updated Windows 10 to the latest version

2- Replaced and upgraded your RAM Memory

3- Upgraded your SATA HDD with a SATA SSD.

You need to start eliminating everything new that you did to find out which one of the upgrade/updates is causing your issue.

1- You can eliminate Windows 10 by downgrading to the Windows Version that you had installed previously that worked fine.

2- You can install your previous RAM Memory to see if it fixes your issue.

3- You can install your previous SATA HDD to see if it fixes your issue.

Unfortunately, Hardware tests doesn't check for compatibility issues. It just checks if your hardware is good or bad.

I would open a HP Support ticket, if it is still free, and ask them if the SSD you have installed is compatible with your 2014 HP OEM Motherboard. Installing your old SATA HDD will eliminate this step if the problems continues or not.

Not all SATA SSDs are compatible with all Motherboards and you have an old Motherboard installed with a very new SSD.

You mentioned that the RAM Memory you installed is the correct one for your motherboard.

anyways, I can tell you know quite a bit of computer technology. Possibly you work in the computer field as a IT Professional in Mexico.

But I am out of suggestions unless someone else has some other input or suggestions.

EDIT: HP is well known to use Proprietary Hardware for their OEM Motherboards. In another words, HP's OEM Motherboards are only compatible with HP OEM Hardware.

Okay, not everything works well, it was already too slow because of the hard drive of more than 6 years.

1, 2 and 3. It is correct.

I can't roll back on windows versions because there is no backup to the new SSD. I've already tried multiple RAMs, as I said in my first post, so rule out that possible problem. The HDD is already too old that I tried to put it back, but it would no longer turn on and it gave me a boot error (The HDD died).

Okay, so I'll check with the HP support page to check compatibility.

Thanks for the compliment, I'm a high school student in Programming Technician.

Yes, I know HP, I have fixed and renewed several HP PCs and that's why I put a RAM of the same brand and everything. I didn't put an SSD in it though as they are getting outdated if not for heavy storage.