cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

gastowner
Adept I

Doom Eternal won't use discrete GPU

I have a laptop running Vega 8 and RX 560X, the game doesn't use RX 560X and can't seem to enforce it using the AMD Radeon Software as I can't see the option like older drivers. Power setting is set to 'High Performance'. Please help.

1 Solution
hotzenplotz
Journeyman III

i can only chekc later but on youtube you can find a possible solution:

start doom with the vega card; go to settings change to borderless windows;exit; start with the rx560x

details

How to Fix DOOM Eternal Crash - YouTube

(he has a video playing doom on the nitro so... it semms to work)

Can somebody check?

View solution in original post

11 Replies
javin_meche
Journeyman III

Same problem. Cannot get it to use my rx560x. Game starts and only uses Vega 8 intergrated graphics  Help please.

epixman
Journeyman III

i got rx 560x and was having the same problem until did these

Bethesda Support 

BUT then it doesnt even launch now

( only use 

i hope asus fix this 

you need to disable the integrated graphics in the BIOS

The switchable function has been removed from the graphics card to the 'Display' manager on your computer.

"The 'switchable' function has been removed from the graphics drivers for Win10 starting with the new 'Adrenalin 2020'. The option is now located under  'Display' of your computer...."Graphics'. "

Correct, the option to control which graphics card is used now managed by the OS, Windows. You should be able to select which GPU is used under Windows Display Properties > Graphics Settings. 

hotzenplotz
Journeyman III

When you force doom to use the rx560 it wont start anymore, just a short black screen and back to desktop.

(you force a app to use the rx560 by typing

graphic settings
add the exe file manually ans switch the config to best performance)

The same problem here u_u, tried everything, but still a short black screen and back to destop, when minimize the game and try not to open, the game still executing, when you open the app to see what is happening it just back to destop again, i think there is a patch compatibility issue, and other thing is the gaming executing on ultra nightmare settings at very high resolution, i see the performance of my rx560x when it happens and just 100% all the time maybe cant run at that resolution so thats why back to desktop (i think), other thing is just compatibilty with vulkan and this graphic card in concrete, the wait is long for maybe a new patch for this issue u_u

0 Likes

I followed amdmatt‌'s advice and the game crashes to desktop after a second of black screen. Either AMD or Bethesda needs to release a fix.

0 Likes
deton24
Newcomer

Alternatively you can try to plug a monitor and maybe it will start using RX 560.

0 Likes
hotzenplotz
Journeyman III

i can only chekc later but on youtube you can find a possible solution:

start doom with the vega card; go to settings change to borderless windows;exit; start with the rx560x

details

How to Fix DOOM Eternal Crash - YouTube

(he has a video playing doom on the nitro so... it semms to work)

Can somebody check?

Works! Had the same issue with RDR2 where it would crash if you choose fullscreen with Vulkan API, hence I chose DX12 for that game. Didn't even think of that lol.

Anyway, thanks for that video. Helps a ton.