cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

dlpkl
Journeyman III

Doom 2016 capped at 60fps in fullscreen mode but goes to 200fps in windowed mode (Vulkan issue)

When playing the game in fullscreen and borderless mode the game is capped at 60fps (but the engine shows 200fps) and my monitor OSD shows that it is only being updated at 60Hz. This includes after I close the game and go back to the desktop, my display adapter settings show the refresh rate at 60Hz. However, when I play in windowed mode, there is no cap on the fps, and I can get the engine to go to a full 200fps while my monitor says that it is showing 165fps. I've disabled, enabled, and tried every single pairing of options in both Radeon Software and in-game. In-game settings I've tried: V-sync, windowed, fullscreen, borderless. Radeon Software settings I've tried: Radeon Enhanced Sync off and on, Freesync off and on, Wait for Vertical Refresh always on/off and on/off unless specified by application. I've never had this issue with any other game, and all other games run at the full fps of my monitor or close to it in fullscreen mode. 

Specs:

• Ryzen 5 3600x
  • Radeon RX 5700 XT Sapphire Nitro+
  • MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
  • 16GB 3600MHz CL16 DDR4
  • Adata 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD
  • Lenovo Legion Y27q-20 1440p 165Hz using a DisplayPort cable

I believe it's an issue with Vulkan, because changing the API to OpenGL 4.5 allows fullscreen to run up to 90fps. The reason why I don't just use OpenGL 4.5 and call it a day is that I'm getting less than half the fps that I get when compared to running Vulkan in windowed mode. Plus, no matter what graphics settings I use, even dropping down to Medium quality, my fps don't go above 90ish. 

Does anyone know of any fixes that I can try to get Vulkan to play nicely in Fullscreen mode?

Attached are images of my settings both in game and also in Radeon Software/windows desktop:

The first 7 images are screenshots of settings and display settings (display settings I haven't touched) when using windowed mode. The last image is the automatic setting when running the game in fullscreen mode.

0 Replies