cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

electricsoap
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Does the Rx 480 support legacy bios motherboards?

I've looked everywhere and the answers have been pretty mixed from absolutely not, to yes, some even said only sapphire cards had the switch. They were generally older forums posts so I was wondering now if there was a definite answer now

0 Kudos
3 Replies
goodplay
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: Does the Rx 480 support legacy bios motherboards?

One for Tech support amdmatt

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3200c16d kit, Aorus nvme gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT,
0 Kudos
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Check with AIBs.

0 Kudos
kahless_uk
Elite
Elite

The one I got certainly does (Powercolor reference version) and there's no real reason for any others not to except to say that some card manufacturers "might" choose to only include UEFI or add a physical switch to select between them (Sapphire tend to do this).

Personally I don't like having to jump through hoops just to get your PC to boot (stuff like reformatting hard drives and so on) so given a choice I either go for legacy or disable secure booting (and I have no need for secured booting anyway). I've only ever seen one GPU that didn't support legacy booting and it was an R9 380 (can't recall manufacturer and I swapped it for an MSI R9 270x that did work anyway)