cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

pascalparvex
Adept I

Does the Radeon VII support 8K30 over HDMI?

Hi, I am new to this community.

I got a used Radeon VII today. Everything works great, but I can't seem to get 8K30 to display on my LG 75SM9900PLA 8K LCD TV over HDMI. It works with the 2080 Super I exchanged for the Radeon, but I could not get any resolution higher than 4096 x 2160 to be available for the latter.

System: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X with Radeon VII connected over a high quality Club 3D CAC-1372 HDMI 2.1 cable. I know the Radeon only has 2.0b, but as I said, it worked with the 2080 Super. All HDMI ports on the LG TV have been set to 8K.

I could not find any information online about it.

1 Solution
pascalparvex
Adept I

I got the answer from AMD: The card does not support more than 4K60 over HDMI. The DisplayPorts will do 8K30, though. The support ticket is German, so it makes no sense to post it here, but I wanted to immortalize this official statement on the Internet for anyone searching for the same info. I am now running a 2080 Ti with 11 GB VRAM, and those almost fill up in the typical modern game in 8K.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Best place to ask would be the support department for the company that made the card. Gotta ask why would you switch to a slower card? Or did you need it for compute?

Looking at the chart for compatibility for the spec in general it is in caution yellow and reads the following:

"Individual products may have heavier limitations than those listed below, since HDMI devices are not required to support the maximum bandwidth of the HDMI version that they implement. Therefore, it is not guaranteed that a display will support the refresh rates listed in this table, even if the display has the required HDMI version."HDMI - Wikipedia 

I know the 2080 Super is faster, but I need the additional VRAM for 8K gaming.

Cool, I figured there must be a good reason I was missing. 

0 Likes

I went though my own trials in getting 4k 60hz HDR 10bit working to my HDMI on my TV that to going from a Display port adapter to HDMI. Club 3d was the only one that actually worked.

In looking to help you I found this information page on 8k I found interesting. Apparently getting 8k going is easier said than done in many cases. Here is the page. https://blog.startech.com/post/the-it-professionals-guide-to-8k-connectivity/ 

I found that link too, while googling. DSC should allow 8K60 from a single DP 1.4 connection. I just ordered my DP 1.4 to 2.1 cable from Club 3D (CAC-1085).

From what I have read the Radeon VII support 8K Resolutions on it DisplayPort video Output but only 4k@60Hz  for its HDMI Output.

From AMD Radeon VII Setup Guide: (attached to this reply)

MSI has a maximum 8k resolution: Specification for Radeon VII 16G | Graphics card - The world leader in display performance | MSI Glo... 

ASRock Radeon VII also support 8K but also like MSI doesn't mention whether it is DisplayPort or HDMI: ASRock > Phantom Gaming X Radeon VII 16G 

This tech site says the VII does 8K resolutions: 8K performance from AMD Radeon VII! | 

But according to AMD Reference Radeon VII it supports 4K@60Hz for HDMI: https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/amd-radeon-vii 4K@60HX

I believe all the 8K above it due to being connected to a DisplayPort on the Radeon VII.

But to get an official answer whether HDMI support 8K at any specific Hz I would open an AMD Service Request Ticket (Official AMD Support) from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

Yeah, this is basically the same information I got through googling. I opened a support ticket, thank you for the link.

0 Likes
pascalparvex
Adept I

I got the answer from AMD: The card does not support more than 4K60 over HDMI. The DisplayPorts will do 8K30, though. The support ticket is German, so it makes no sense to post it here, but I wanted to immortalize this official statement on the Internet for anyone searching for the same info. I am now running a 2080 Ti with 11 GB VRAM, and those almost fill up in the typical modern game in 8K.

Since talking with you last I did see that Club3D is developing a display port adaptor to HDMI that may be able to convert at 8K 30 or higher. So if you held onto that Vega maybe a solution is coming from a 3rd party.

I am glad you got your answer and at least know the current limitations. Hopefully the card will meet your needs. Even if you end up having to reduce the textures from Ultra to High to get future games to fit in the 11gb window it should look spectacular regardless. I know that my tv has upsampling built in, and if I apply the extra sharpening in the NV control panel to the game 1440p upsampled is darn near identical to 4K. 

Good Luck and Happy Gaming!

0 Likes

I had the Club 3D DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 adapter, but I only got 4K120 with it, 8K60 did not work.

0 Likes

Yup same one I have. The one I was speaking of is still to come. I don't think the one we have supports 8K in any capacity. 

0 Likes

I had the new one, which got available on Amazon Germany on the beginning of July 2020. It is the HDMI 2.1 variant, not the HDMI 2.0b one you have.

0 Likes