Graphics Cards

doofus88
Adept I

Displayport Issues with RX580

Here's what I'm working with:

XFX - AMD Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 8GB

ViewSonic XG2701 144hz monitor

Ryzen 2700x CPU

Yesterday I just bought the ViewSonic monitor listed above and attached it to my RX580 via display port (with the cable given with the monitor). While testing my new monitor playing Quake Champions with Freesync enabled I kept having issues with the monitor cutting to black intermittently after playing for about 3 minutes and sometimes it'd get progressively worse if I played through the black screens. It wouldn't cut to black during non-gameplay in the menus or if I was going through HDMI. I initially thought it was the cable, but after trying all Display ports, I found that the 3rd one has no cutting to black screen while running several different games. After all these issues with my new monitor setup (I had none before, my previous setup was a 1080p monitor via HDMI and a old 19" LCD via displayport to VGA), I remembered when I tried updating the graphics drivers from 18.6.1 to 18.7.1 my RX580 fans were running high/loud after reboots. I then experienced mouse cursor stuttering and reverted back to 18.6.1 because it obviously seemed like the update was the issue. During my troubleshooting for my current problem I've noticed that the mouse stutter would only happen when a monitor is hooked up via display port in 18.7.1.

So I have a few questions regarding my issue:

1. Is it possible for 2 out of 3 display ports to have the same issue, but the 3rd be fine?

2. Is having louder fans upon reboot a normal occurrence when updating graphic drivers?

3. I've contacted XFX and have not heard back from them yet, but should I wait to hear from them or do a card swap at my local Best Buy?

I rather not go through the trouble with swapping if it's a known issue or something I can fix easily.

I appreciate any and all help!

1 Solution
doofus88
Adept I

So I ended up swapping out my card at Best Buy and all issues were resolved!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
theacclaimed
Miniboss

1. Is it possible for 2 out of 3 display ports to have the same issue, but the 3rd be fine?

Yes, but this is usually very rare. With the GPU connected via one of the DP ports, go to your Viewsonic monitor's onscreen display and check that the DP connection is set to 1.2 or Freesync. These need to be enabled on the monitor in order for Freesync to work over DP. The HDMI port of the monitor may or may not support Freesync. You can tell if it does by connecting the monitor to the GPU via the HDMI cable and going to Radeon Settings -> Display

2. Is having louder fans upon reboot a normal occurrence when updating graphic drivers?

This is normal for custom cooled cards that run in semi-passive cooling modes (fans not spinning when idle)

3. I've contacted XFX and have not heard back from them yet, but should I wait to hear from them or do a card swap at my local Best Buy?

If the issue still happens after checking the above steps, I recommending swapping the card at Best Buy for another one before the return/exchange period from Best Buy ends. However, I don't know how recently you bought the RX 580 since the return/exchange period with them is usually 15 days from the date of purchase.

0 Likes

First off, thank you so much for the reply, I really appreciate it!

1. I've confirmed the 1.2 and Freesync options on the monitor are both checked while I testing. Currently on the working port, both are checked and it works fine. I've also confirmed that this monitor does not support Freesync over HDMI due to the option being "Not Supported" under the Radeon Display settings when using HDMI. I think this may be one of those rare cases then sadly.

2. Thanks for the answer, I'm going to assume that portion is fine then.

3. Currently I'm looking to do the swap at Best Buy, I've bought it within the past 45 days which is my return window with them.

I DID end up calling XFX though and they wanted me to try a different cable, but due to my testing I really don't think it can be the cable because cables usually don't pick/choose which ports to work in. I think that I can rule out my monitor/cable because of all that. My last test before I go swap will be hooking up the second monitor via the DP adapter on the bad ports again to confirm the mouse stutter I mentioned in my previous post. If the stutter doesn't happen on my good port, I think it'll be safe to assume it's the two ports causing the issue.

Again, I appreciate the response. I feel better hearing other opinions.

0 Likes
doofus88
Adept I

So I ended up swapping out my card at Best Buy and all issues were resolved!

0 Likes
Brotato
Journeyman III

I realize this is an old issue but I have the exact same card I bought back in 2018 and I just recently upgraded to the Gigabyte G27Q. Before I was running a Samsung 1080p monitor over HDMI, now I'm trying the new monitor over Displayport. I'm going to test out each of the Displayport slots on the card as you did and hope one of them works but I'm really interested in a 4-year update lol how has the new card been handling Displayport? I can't afford to upgrade the card right now so I'm trying to make it last.

0 Likes