cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

badwolf
Journeyman III

DisplayPort and HDMI works in macOS and Linux but not Windows.

Hi! 

ASUS RX 580 Dual 8GB
MSI X470 Gaming Plus with 7B79vA6 BIOS

Ryzen 7 2700X

EVGA Supernova 650 G2 650W PSU
2 x 8GB DDR4 RAM
Acer H277HK

I'm having trouble with the DisplayPort and HDMI only under Windows and only under the one monitor.

I use my computer as Hackintosh, run Linux (Ubuntu) on it and also Windows for games. In Linux and macOS the RX 580 works extremely well. Both are happily doing 4K@60 over HDMI and DisplayPort. 

In Windows however on HDMI it flickers black sometimes every 30 seconds, sometimes lots of times in a short amount of time, at every resolution. If I change the refresh rate of my 4K monitor to 30Hz it stops flickering. DisplayPort is even worse, it will show the screen fine for 5 seconds, go to grey static, go black and then that repeats. However if I connect in Windows to my 1080P monitor via HDMI (it has no DisplayPort to try) it works fine and straight away.

Besides working fine in macOS and Linux, the ports work when using Windows' generic drivers. I've DDU'ed, I've tried different graphics driver versions, I've tried even a new installation of Windows on a different drive. I've also turned off FreeSync. I can't think of what else to try. 

0 Likes
13 Replies

Gotta be something Windows or the AMD driver is seeing in those other installations screwing things up. If you have a spare hard drive or ssd. Disconnect all other drives and install Windows to that lone drive and see if it is then fine. 

0 Likes

I already tried this.

0 Likes

I would ask this question in a forum for the Linux distribution you are having. Those guys are typically pretty good at fixing weird stuff. They may have some advice. Maybe someone else here will chime in with something.

0 Likes

I did think about this, but because it works in Linux it would be me asking them about Windows really. 

0 Likes

If you are using a Apple computer with a MAC OS, then you must be using a Windows Bootcamp on your computer.

Need to get Windows bootcamp drivers for your Mac OS.

Here is Apple Support concerning Bootcamp on Macs: Boot Camp - Official Apple Support 

This website has unofficial latest AMD drivers for Bootcamp. The Author basically takes a regular AMD Windows driver and makes some changes to it so that it will work on a Apple computer.BootCampDrivers.com: Turbo-charged AMD graphics drivers for Mac BootCamp users. (that is why it is "unofficial").

0 Likes

I think you completely misread what I wrote. 

0 Likes

Sorry if I misread your post.

Then you are running a Windows computer not a computer running MAC Os. Under Windows 10, you are having issues with DP and HDMI connected to your monitor. Is this correct or if it isn't, can you clarify your post with more details.

Are you running MAC Os and Linux as a virtual computer (VM) on your Windows computer?

You mentioned three different types of Operating Systems in your post. Are you using three different computers, one with a different OS, or are you running one computer with three different OS installed either as VM or not.

Just trying to clear up my confusion since you didn't mention how all three OSes are being run.

0 Likes

Triple booting. Obviously no VMs because how could the guest work if Windows as a host isn't working properly? Also obviously the same computer because I put the specs for a single computer in my post. 

To clarify: Windows, macOS and Linux all natively. On different SSDs. Works on macOS and Linux fine. Not Windows after the drivers are installed. 

0 Likes

Thanks for clarifying that up. Your post makes sense now.

I let pokester‌ continuing helping since this is something he might be familiar with.

Good luck.

0 Likes

I'm not really sure what to tell him either. My best guess is that the Windows partition is looking at something on either that Linux or Mac partition that is messing it up. I have run into weird issues myself with Windows having issues when I have installed Ubuntu partitions. I never figured my problem out and am not sure what to tell the OP here either. 

0 Likes

I get that but often it's the partitions and sharing of the drives those guys usually understand best. Just more likely one of them has run into this that a Windows guy that only boots Windows.

0 Likes

What has partitions, on different drives, have to do with drivers on Windows?  

0 Likes

In the issue I had Windows was getting messed up looking at information on the linux partition. 

0 Likes