cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Display Turning Off Then On Again

So I noticed something with my rig. I don't know if it's the drivers or my rig messing up.

First of all, when I shut down my debug lights on my motherboard flash once and the power LEDs on my GPU flash. Admittedly I don't know if this is a new development or if I have just not been paying attention.

Secondly, I have been playing Fortnite and a few times my display flickered on then off, not black screen flicker but as if I turned the display off then on again. I don't know if it is a driver related issue or if it has to do with my GPU or maybe my monitor is just about to kick the bucket.

It doesn't fully restart the monitor but the screen does go dark, as if it is off, not black, just like I turned it off. It doesn't cycle inputs or any of that. It's just off then on again.

I tried wiggling the wires to see if it will do it when I'm not playing Fortnite. No dice. 

I am hoping it's not a faulty GPU because I would rather buy another monitor and send this one in for repairs. It is what it is though. I'm hoping new drivers come out soon and fix it.

Gigabyte RX 6800XT Gaming OC - Stock

Ryzen 7 3700X - Stock 

4x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200Mhz

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WIFI

Corsair H100i Elite Capellix 240MM AIO

WDBlack SN750 1TB NVMe PCIe 3.0 M.2 SSD

Crucial P2 500GB NVMe PCIe 3.0 M.2 SSD

Crucial MX500 1TB SATA SSD

Corsair RM850x 850Watt PSU

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
1 Solution
Geforsikus_2021
Challenger

If the monitor just turns off and turns on again (but the game or whatever you are doing there does not stop when the monitor turns off), then most likely the monitor is already losing ground, try another monitor, or the same one but connect via another displayport or hdmi cable. Alternatively, if there is no other monitor, connect the TV via HDMI, and check all connections so that the connector is fully connected (all the way to the stop).

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
Geforsikus_2021
Challenger

If the monitor just turns off and turns on again (but the game or whatever you are doing there does not stop when the monitor turns off), then most likely the monitor is already losing ground, try another monitor, or the same one but connect via another displayport or hdmi cable. Alternatively, if there is no other monitor, connect the TV via HDMI, and check all connections so that the connector is fully connected (all the way to the stop).

0 Likes

Done. It hasn't happened for a few days so I am going to assume it was just a fluke. I would be more concerned if it did it on a regular basis but it hasn't. It only happened two times to my knowledge and only when playing Fortnite. The display is an Acer Predator XB3-27" Monitor Full HD 1920x1080 240Hz IPS 16:9 1ms. I use DisplayPort cable for it and I have a lower end Acer 24 inch 1080p 60hz monitor hooked up via HDMI. I'm going to order a refurbished Predator so I have matching monitors. I doubt it will happen again. 

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

I have a similar problem except its my 2nd monitor that blanks out randomly no matter if its playing a video or sitting idle.  My primary stays on like its supposed to and I'm inclined to blame the driver as when my laptop is connected to the same monitors they don't do it at all. 

The difference is my desktop is running a XFX Speedster MERC 319 RX 6900 XT black and my laptop is running a Nvidia RTX 3060 both of which feed into a kvm switch with new high quality 8k cable matters braided cables.  Even my government laptop feeds them without issue so I know its down the the amd gpu in my desktop.

I will say that my next card will most definitely be Nvidia as my overall experience with them over the years has been much better than I've had with ATI/AMD.

I wouldn't buy a product based on a minimal driver issue like this as it can and most likely will be fixed. I base my purchases on price to performance, and in my opinion disregarding raytracing, AMD is currently leading. If next time I choose to buy a GPU or product in general the leader in price to performance is another product, I will buy that product.

Driver issues haven't really messed up anything I do beyond this specific issue and maybe two others and this one in particular has only happened twice to me and only in Fortnite.

I have been lucky with my specific system only experiencing a few of the issues others have reported. The few issues I have had were easily dealt with by changing a couple settings here and there. 

When you drop over $1k on a GPU things like this matter.

I did drop more than $1000 on my 6800XT. I spent near $1400, on Amazon, in the height of the GPU market crisis.

I understand your point, but I understand that driver issues happen in Nvidia GPUs as well. I feel your frustration, that being said, I feel the handful of issues I have dealt with were easily remedied.

Many people with AMD hardware have posted about several bugs and issues they have run into, and I have been blessed not to have had to deal with most of them.

I have also seen in the Nvidia forums, posts about many people having issues with their products. I know people who still have to disconnect and reconnect display cables, because if you have VRR enabled with a Freesync monitor they get black screens when starting a lot of games. That is just one example. 

I do hope things go well for you in what ever you may choose to do. Good luck and have a good day.

Refute6978
Journeyman III

This is NONSENSE. The issue is STILL OCCURRING. I AM GOD **bleep** SICK OF IT. My entire power sleep workflow is RUINED! I thought AMD was supposed to be just as good but this is dog water.

0 Likes

I understand your frustration. Dealing with persistent technical issues, especially when they disrupt your workflow, can be incredibly frustrating. It sounds like you're experiencing a problem related to your power sleep workflow, possibly with your AMD system.

It's essential to troubleshoot the issue systematically to identify the root cause. Here are a few steps you might consider taking:

Check my Website, I also faced this technical issue, but I was able to resolve it by following these steps. 

1. **Check Task Scheduler Settings**: Ensure that the scheduled task is configured correctly, including the "Run whether user is logged on or not" option, as mentioned earlier.

2. **Update Drivers and Software**: Make sure that your AMD drivers and system software are up to date. Sometimes, outdated drivers can cause compatibility issues.

3. **Review Power Settings**: Check your power settings to ensure that they're configured correctly and not causing conflicts with your sleep workflow.

4. **Check for Background Processes**: Certain background processes or applications might interfere with your system's sleep behavior. Try closing unnecessary applications before initiating the sleep process.

5. **Look for BIOS Updates**: Occasionally, BIOS updates can address compatibility issues and improve system stability. Check if there are any available updates for your motherboard's BIOS.

6. **Consult Support Forums or Communities**: Sometimes, other users might have encountered similar issues and found solutions. Browsing AMD's support forums or other tech communities might provide insights or troubleshooting steps.

7. **Consider Professional Help**: If the issue persists and you're unable to resolve it on your own, reaching out to professional IT support or contacting AMD's customer support for assistance might be necessary.

Remember to approach the problem calmly and methodically, as frustration can sometimes cloud judgment and hinder troubleshooting efforts. If you need further assistance with specific steps or have additional questions, feel free to ask.

0 Likes