cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

doubleDagger
Adept I

Display Goes Black for a Few Seconds (RX 6600)

My display goes black for a few seconds when browsing. It never happened while gaming which I find weird. When the issue shows, it can be resolved by restarting the monitor for a few times or unplugging and plugging the cable back. 

It's not the cable since I replaced my hdmi to a brand new dp and the issue still shows. I don't know how to replicate the issue, and it is random. It resolves itself if I wait for more than a few seconds, and an AMD bug report tool will pop up. It doesn't pop up when I do the unplug plug or monitor restart solution.

Using the Adrenalin 22.10.1

0 Likes
1 Solution

It's been a few weeks since I turned hardware acceleration on Edge off. The issue never reappeared. I think that solved the issue. It's the only setting that I changed, I've not changed anything in windows or amd settings, so I am confident that the hardware acceleration is the problem. Thank you for the help.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
MADZyren
Paragon

So is the GPU or the machine new or old, how long has this been happening, which brand is the computer or components, when did you install driver and which driver. Which OS you have, which software you use, do you have more than one monitor, is it or are the freesync, what non-defaulta settings do you use, have you overclocked, underclocked or -volted any part of computer. How old and powerfull is your PSU?

If your monitor supports 10 bit colors, make sure it uses them and not just 8 bit, but if it doesn't support 10 bit, problem could perhaps be MPO. 

MPO only supports 8 bit color depth setting 10 bit color depth disengages it. This has because of what you can find here and is related to your problem: https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/amd-you-can-do-better-and-more-stable-drivers/m-p/5510... 

Also perhaps disabling hardware acceleration in browser and elsewhere might help. It feels like most people with issues use Chrome instead of Edge or Firefox, but I could be wrong.

Build is: i5 12400, 16gb 3200 t-force vulcan, 512 gb nvme cardea, 650w bronze fsp, b660 mk-d4 asus

Windows 10 Pro, 22H2, one monitor (AOC 24g2, freesync), hasn't done any over/underclock/volt aside from xmp I

Only changes I did from AMD settings are noise suppression (on), freesync premium (on), virtual super resolution (on), hotkeys (off).

The gpu is brand new, bought it last month. The rest of the system is built on April, this year. Never had this issue when I was using the integrated graphics. 

I can't remember when did the issue starts showing. It's just more noticeable recently since it's longer and more often. I noticed that the issue occurs when watching videos from social media.

Tried disabling the hardware acceleration; will update if the issue repeats.

Color depth on AMD settings shows 8 bpc. I lack the registry key that is mentioned on the link you sent, so MPO is enabled, I guess. I will try this solution if the issue occurs even after disabling the hardware acceleration.

Thank you for the help. 

0 Likes

Before anything else in this message, when you say monitor goes black for few seconds, do you mean it stays that way untill you restart monitor or computer?

- - - 

"Color depth on AMD settings shows 8 bpc"

Try setting it to 10 in Radeon software. If it doesn't support it, it will automatically drop back to 8.

If you have 12400 (unless it is f-version), you could try using integrated graphics (=connect monitor to video output in motherboard instead of GPU) for testing. You might have to either enable integrated graphics from BIOS or remove GPU for this to work. Testing this might shed some light into what might be wrong.

While your PSU is technically (or according to wattage) powerfull enough, this could perhaps be a PSU issue too. 6600 is not very power hungry, but your PSU might be defective, old (capacitors woren out) or simply just not up to the task.

One thing I would try is, run something like in the background and see if it still happens. I have heard about cases where when machine is in light use, power saving or something similar drops voltages and causes issues. There are solutions for this too.

0 Likes

It's been a few weeks since I turned hardware acceleration on Edge off. The issue never reappeared. I think that solved the issue. It's the only setting that I changed, I've not changed anything in windows or amd settings, so I am confident that the hardware acceleration is the problem. Thank you for the help.

0 Likes