cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Kalzone
Adept I

Display driver amdwddmg stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

I get random crashes during gaming on RX 5600 XT. The game freezes, screen goes black and comes back on. Radeon Soft gives error message (contains no useful info so what is the point of it?). I have to restart my computer, otherwise I will get frequent errors and games crash immediately on start. There is a display error in Windows event viewer with the description "Display driver amdwddmg stopped responding and has successfully recovered." I reinstalled drivers with DDU, updated Windows and AMD drivers. According to HWMonitor temperatures, voltages etc. are fine. I haven't overclocked, every settings are "optimized default".

8 Replies

I have been having exactly the same problem with my RX 5700 XT GPU - it seems to occur more frequently when the GPU is under heavy load (AAA games, Twitch Mod View open in Chrome, and OBS Studio running with software (CPU) encoding. The processor and GPU should be man enough to handle this, but even so it happened the other day with only two instances of Chrome running.

Everything freezes for 5 to 10 seconds, the screens all go black then return, sometimes with the game having automatically closed, other times with it frozen, and more often than not just a white window where the game should be.

I've also noticed a really weird RAM spike immediately after failure in my GPU stats overlay, GPU RAM sitting around 5.5Gb and system RAM sitting at 31Gb of 32. I've checked power draw on all the components, checked the cooling components and fan speeds, monitored temps (all stay where they should be), and tested the PSU - none is exceeding the system capacity (max draw should be 450W) or recommendations, I've tried driver reinstalls and regressions, and I've stripped and rebuilt the machine.

It has become REALLY frustrating over the last few weeks - it's almost guaranteed to happen once a day when I'm doing something important. I've seen a few other posts about this exact problem on Reddit, with no solution to be found. I would appreciate it if someone from AMD could provide us with a solution.

System Spec:

• Intel i9 9900k
  • Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro
  • MSI Z390 Gaming Carbon AC
  • 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 
  • Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
  • Crucial P1 M.2 (2)
  • Be Quiet! Pure Power 11cm (500W)
  • Fractal Define 7

Monitors:

• Philips 499P9H (DisplayPort)
    • Built in Webcam (USB)
  • Philips 275E1S (DisplayPort)
  • Philips 275E1S (HDMI)

Streaming Gear:

• Rode NT2 USB mic
  • Logitech Brio 4K

Sorry to hear that and I share the frustration. Seems like there is a lot of random problems going on with AMD. I'm really starting to regret buying AMD, first I had problems with their CPU and now this. I still haven't been able to pinpoint the issue but I'm quite certain the problem is AMD software related. I recently ran FurMark for an hour without crashes or any problems. I've also ran other tests and analysis programs and none of them find anything faulty. I have made some progress in a way. After reinstalling some drivers, Radeon Software no longer boots on Windows startup for some reason. After this happened, I noticed that when Radeon Software isn't running, I experience fewer crashes.

Yeah, really quite unimpressed by the issue - I can't find a statement anywhere or even what AMD's error codes mean.

As soon as prices drop again I'm going to switch to NVidia. 

0 Likes

Yeah, I'm probably going to do the same. I would swap to Intel/Nvidia in a heartbeat but the refund date at the retailer expired and since there is technically nothing wrong with any of the parts, I can't RMA them either. I also find it ridiculous that after paying hundreds/thousands, the customer has to waste their time and money trying to resolve the problems. I just hope I can at least sell the parts to get something back when I can eventually buy new parts.

0 Likes

Here's an odd thought...

I had a crash today playing Sea of Thieves, and then it told me to update the drivers.

I am wondering if this crash occurs BECAUSE it is trying to auto-update drivers while I'm using the GPU...

0 Likes
c1q3
Journeyman III

hello guys. I had same issue with my PC. And I solved it.

I had black screen crashes. 2-15 mins in game and it will go black. rx 580 will be disabled after restart. The reason was a DDR4 memory problem. I dropped each one off, then exchange them in slots and its now all working.

0 Likes
uberchemist
Journeyman III

I came across this post due to a similar issue. Games that stressed my RX 5700 would give this same error. I tried many things to resolve it... ultimately the one change I made that has worked so far was turning off the XMP profile in the BIOS for overclocking my RAM to it's rated speed (from 3200 to 2133). I don't know why this works, but it does. I may try to replace my RAM for a higher speed and see if it's just the RAM that's the issue, but it is odd, as this configuration worked fine in the past. I can't quite pinpoint when these crashes started, but I don't remember them happening before upgrading to Windows 11. I feel like it could have been a driver update to the GPU that caused it (and the next thing I was going to try was installing an earlier driver version). I also used Ryzen Master to Auto OC the CPU, but disabling that didn't help with the crashes. Here are my specs for anyone interested who might have a similar issue:

• AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
  • ASUS Pro WS X570-ACE
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x32GB 3200 DDR4
  • ASUS AMD Radeon RX 5700 Overclocked EVO Edition
  • Corsair MP600 PRO XT 2TB (Windows 11 Pro x64 drive)
  • 2x Seagate Exos X14 12TB HDD (RAID1 storage)
  • be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 1000W
0 Likes
gabribueno
Journeyman III

19 jan 2023, still the problem.

Configs:

Ryzen 5 5600x

RX5500XT (Adrenalin Driver Release Date 12/8/2022)
Motherboard B550m Aorus Elite
16GB RAM
1TB HD
KINGSTON 256 SSD SATA
Windows 11

0 Likes