cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

gvertes
Journeyman III

Re: Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

I had messaged privately to see if the issue had remained resolved and seems that it is not fully. Which sucks.

I've actually tried an nvidia card (2060 super) and that didn't solve it either.

I haven't yet tried disabling TDR only increased the wait but I'm going to try disabling it now.

It's the most frustrating issue because some nights I don't actually experience any crashes and other nights I get them quickly when entering a game and I just give up for the night trying to play anything.

It happens to me in COD Warzone and in RS:Siege. In COD the game actually throws a DEV ERROR 6068 which states "Directx encountered an unrecoverable error." None of their suggested fixes solved anything for me and I'm still trying to figure it out.

0 Likes
rostelle
Journeyman III

Just to say that since my last comment on here (over a year ago) I have not experienced any further issues. My solution however was ro replace the AMD card with an Nvidia GTX16 (I remember that removing the AMD associated drivers/software was not intuitive).

I am still convinced the underlying issue is inappropriate use of asterisk wildcards in the manifest files. My belief is that if a different piece of software (in my case an older version of Audacity) is run which specifically references something 32bit (parameter file ? driver ? API call ?) then the AMD manifest uses a wildcard which doesn't enforce a change to the appropriately matching 64bit coding. This is why the results are inconsistent because it will depend on other processes and the order in which they are run.

I did try to use a manifest editor for a while but gave up and then decided to buy a different graphics card. So unfortunately I have no evidence whatsoever to support my supposition.

0 Likes
gvertes
Journeyman III

I'm not sure what manifest files are TBH but I was also thinking that an nvidia card would do the trick and was sorely disappointed when the issue persisted. I would get the same error except with 'nvlddmkm' instead of 'amdkmdap'.

0 Likes
rostelle
Journeyman III

Under Windows 10 a manifest file is a parameter or resource file (usually, possibly always XML) which is part of a software installation and contains instructions for Windows about resources to be used.

I'm sorry to hear the Nvidia card didn't work, I do remember before I got mine to work I had to purge my OS of AMD software and drivers which is why I referred to the non-intuitive removal. I can't remember exactly but I know I disconnected from the internet and then proceded to search for and delete a lot of stuff. The standard uninstall and removal tools I found (there may be better ones now) at the time did not remove everything they needed to. I seem to remember looking through the Registry for any AMD references and clearing out quite a few folders of stuff and subsequently deleting the Registry Keys. Unfortunately I cannot offer any guarantees so if you do decide on this path be sure to take good OS/Registry backups/save points first.

0 Likes
davejb
Adept II

This manifest theory is as good as any. What I can't understand is that on the nights that it crashes, it may crash 3 to 6 times {often in the first five minutes of gaming (F1 2020)} then after having had to restart all those many times it then does not crash again for the rest of the night. Sometimes 8 hours. I can't think of any BIOS or hardware issues that would behave like this. I wish I could better emphasize this. This has bee the case for YEARS. It'll crash like mad all right at the beginning of gaming and then not crash again the rest of the long gaming session.  Also, I've found that if my computer is getting less stable over time (let's say over a two week period) in which each time I start to game it crashes a bunch of times, then I find the fix to at least get it back to semi stable is to uninstall the driver, clean it up completely using Display Driver Uninstaller, then install the newest driver. This seems to get my computer back to fairly stable for a couple months.

0 Likes
gvertes
Journeyman III

I’ve never experienced stability for more than a night or two. And it just

seems random. Most of the time when it crashes its after at least 30

minutes and once it has crashed once it seems more often to crash again and

again that night.

I was thinking there might be an issue with windows but I’ve tried a few

different installs (let’s just say through certain sources) and that didn’t

resolve the issue either.

Usually if I get a couple crashes in a night I give up playing out of

frustration for at least a day or two..

0 Likes
davejb
Adept II

It's complete shite that AMD can't get this resolved for us. The driver now has a bug reporting tool but the only time I think to use it is after it crashes when gaming, and I want to game not mess with the bug reporting tool. And I only have so many nights a week that I have time for it.

Your issue is consistent with cooling issues, but of course doesn't mean it IS cooling. Have you tried upping the fan speed ramp? And check your temps while gaming? You might also take off the side cover on the case and blow a fan in there to rule out cooling issues.

0 Likes
gvertes
Journeyman III

I’ve done some heavy stress testing and the temps remain quite low even

running gpu and cpu at 100% for over an hour. No crashes. Nothing. I’ve

done some fan configuration but it didn’t help. I’ve vacuumed out the dust

and cleaned everything up as well. I keep thinking it might be cooling but

the temps don’t get that high and sometimes I have a whole night of no

crashes and I’m not doing anything different.

I haven’t really used the amd debugging tool but I ran occt and had crashes

while in monitoring mode and the tool just continues to say ‘no errors’

which was disappointing.

0 Likes
davejb
Adept II

Well, sounds like it's not heat. I can afford to replace my whole gaming system but it's not needed. I have a 6 year old system (Intel CPU, 16 gigs of RAM, Vega 56) and my frame rates in my games are well over 60 fps. I simply don't need a new system and hate to spend a bunch of money just to see if it fixes the crashing. I'd of course keep the Vega 56 with the new build, at least until the new AMD cards come out in the next few months so in that sense it would be a good test. Or maybe NVIDIA cards now support my Free Sync enabled monitor? Ack, I have been an AMD supporter since the early 00's, only occasionally building system with Intel CPU's and have almost never owned an NVIDIA card.

0 Likes
gvertes
Journeyman III

I hear you. I’m in almost the same boat. Could spend a bunch of money

replacing things but it’s not needed at this time. Everything is running

really well (when it runs).

Nvidia has their own monitor software and the monitors are like twice the

price as the free sync ones.

I actually went out and picked up a 2060 super and replaced my rx5600xt to

see if that would solve the issue and I actually still had crashes so I

returned it. I know I’m still on the amd forum but there’s a lot of good

conversation here and I’m hoping helps get to the bottom of this. I am now

taking out half my ram and going to try it in different slots to see if

that may be the issue.

0 Likes