cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

saiqaaa
Adept I

Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Sept 2016 when we test up this pc I thought the blackscreen was normal until it become more frequent and pain in my *** I cant play games,vids or browse any website that have gifs on their homepage. I try to find the problem and I saw it on the Event viewer and "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding..." I already reset this pc many times and still the error occurs

MSI B150M Bazooka
XFX AMD Radeon RX480
Intel i5 - 6402p
ADATA XPG Z1 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 2133MHz RAM

Windows 10 Home
PSU:HPG-600BR-F12S

Toshiba 1TB 3.5″ 7200 RPM Hard Drive DT01ACA100

LG 24x DVD CD RW DL M-Disc Optical Drive

60 Replies

That's interesting cause on my Ryzen system with the new MSI Tomahawk board I'm stable for over a week without any driver crashing.  Maybe too soon to say but it maybe due to increasing the SOC voltage to 1.1v which I couldn't do on the ASRock.  It could be that the Radeon drivers are much more sensitive to the system not being 100% stable and while other things work fine the Radeon drivers do not.  In my case I thought it was a faulty GPU but some of the errors kinda point to bad memory which I was ready to replace the memory since it passes in memtest86+ for 8 hours.

It could be that everyone here doesn't have a 100% stable system and these Polaris and Vega card drivers need a very very stable system. 

0 Likes

After some time this started to happen again without warning.  Doesn't matter if I use Chrome or Firefox either.  Driver crashes and resets but of course the game is completely crashed and I lose all progress.  Like you TDR off just freezes my PC.  Event ID 4101 and I've tried every trick in the book to fix this.  I have a MSI RX 470 in another PC so I'll try and swap it with the Sapphire RX 480 I have and see if this continues.

0 Likes
dukenukemx
Adept II

I may have found something that might be the root cause for everyone, but I need people to help out.  I have four sticks of CM8GX4M2B3000C15 that are 4GB each.  I just found out that two are Micron and the other two are Hynix.  After reading how much trouble Ryzen users were experiencing stability issues until they replaced the Hynix memory for Samsung or Micron.  I took out the Hynix modules and so far I've not had any driver crashes since.  I've tested this memory to hell and back and no errors were ever found.  I've ran the Hynix memory at 2133Mhz just to be sure and it still crashes.  I'm thinking that Hynix might have a bad batch of memory out in the wild that might randomly hiccup and cause the AMD drivers to crash. 

I'd like people here to run RAMMon and look under DRAM Manufacture to see if you're using Hynix memory.  This might explain why Intel, AMD FX, and AMD Ryzen CPU users are effected by this problem.  I don't expect everyone to be having this issue and using Hynix memory but maybe the majority are. 

0 Likes

Have been having same issue for years. I have two CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 (Corsair), not that this disproves anything, I'm inclined to suspect driver incompatibility because I'm sure this was not happening on W10 1607 (or 1511) but beyond that I've no useful input.

0 Likes

After some time trying to modify manifest files. I think the issue might be related to wildcard symbols being used inappropriately because of the changes from 32 to 64 OS. This has just got all too irritating. I have no idea how few users have this issue but I have seen it referenced in many other places. I have turned to the dark side (GTX 16) which appears to work without any issues. Am hanging onto the 7900 in case anyone else ever resolves the issue but I don't have much hope.

0 Likes
davejb
Adept II

Guys. Update. I've recently posted a few times about this bit it looks plain and simple like it was my power supply. It looks like the TDR change was a workaround of the root cause. My power supply was about 9 years old, was a quality Antec 750 watt supply. I never considered it before because I had great stability with my former video card. Got a new Corsair HX850i watt supply and it's been super stable. I've even reenabled TDR. Fwiw, I've not even crossed the 400 watt level but the 850 watt was on sale and cheaper than the lower powered supplies.

0 Likes

I had messaged privately to see if the issue had remained resolved and seems that it is not fully. Which sucks.

I've actually tried an nvidia card (2060 super) and that didn't solve it either.

I haven't yet tried disabling TDR only increased the wait but I'm going to try disabling it now.

It's the most frustrating issue because some nights I don't actually experience any crashes and other nights I get them quickly when entering a game and I just give up for the night trying to play anything.

It happens to me in COD Warzone and in RS:Siege. In COD the game actually throws a DEV ERROR 6068 which states "Directx encountered an unrecoverable error." None of their suggested fixes solved anything for me and I'm still trying to figure it out.

0 Likes

Just to say that since my last comment on here (over a year ago) I have not experienced any further issues. My solution however was ro replace the AMD card with an Nvidia GTX16 (I remember that removing the AMD associated drivers/software was not intuitive).

I am still convinced the underlying issue is inappropriate use of asterisk wildcards in the manifest files. My belief is that if a different piece of software (in my case an older version of Audacity) is run which specifically references something 32bit (parameter file ? driver ? API call ?) then the AMD manifest uses a wildcard which doesn't enforce a change to the appropriately matching 64bit coding. This is why the results are inconsistent because it will depend on other processes and the order in which they are run.

I did try to use a manifest editor for a while but gave up and then decided to buy a different graphics card. So unfortunately I have no evidence whatsoever to support my supposition.

0 Likes

I'm not sure what manifest files are TBH but I was also thinking that an nvidia card would do the trick and was sorely disappointed when the issue persisted. I would get the same error except with 'nvlddmkm' instead of 'amdkmdap'.

0 Likes

Under Windows 10 a manifest file is a parameter or resource file (usually, possibly always XML) which is part of a software installation and contains instructions for Windows about resources to be used.

I'm sorry to hear the Nvidia card didn't work, I do remember before I got mine to work I had to purge my OS of AMD software and drivers which is why I referred to the non-intuitive removal. I can't remember exactly but I know I disconnected from the internet and then proceded to search for and delete a lot of stuff. The standard uninstall and removal tools I found (there may be better ones now) at the time did not remove everything they needed to. I seem to remember looking through the Registry for any AMD references and clearing out quite a few folders of stuff and subsequently deleting the Registry Keys. Unfortunately I cannot offer any guarantees so if you do decide on this path be sure to take good OS/Registry backups/save points first.

0 Likes

This manifest theory is as good as any. What I can't understand is that on the nights that it crashes, it may crash 3 to 6 times {often in the first five minutes of gaming (F1 2020)} then after having had to restart all those many times it then does not crash again for the rest of the night. Sometimes 8 hours. I can't think of any BIOS or hardware issues that would behave like this. I wish I could better emphasize this. This has bee the case for YEARS. It'll crash like mad all right at the beginning of gaming and then not crash again the rest of the long gaming session.  Also, I've found that if my computer is getting less stable over time (let's say over a two week period) in which each time I start to game it crashes a bunch of times, then I find the fix to at least get it back to semi stable is to uninstall the driver, clean it up completely using Display Driver Uninstaller, then install the newest driver. This seems to get my computer back to fairly stable for a couple months.

0 Likes

I’ve never experienced stability for more than a night or two. And it just

seems random. Most of the time when it crashes its after at least 30

minutes and once it has crashed once it seems more often to crash again and

again that night.

I was thinking there might be an issue with windows but I’ve tried a few

different installs (let’s just say through certain sources) and that didn’t

resolve the issue either.

Usually if I get a couple crashes in a night I give up playing out of

frustration for at least a day or two..

0 Likes

It's complete shite that AMD can't get this resolved for us. The driver now has a bug reporting tool but the only time I think to use it is after it crashes when gaming, and I want to game not mess with the bug reporting tool. And I only have so many nights a week that I have time for it.

Your issue is consistent with cooling issues, but of course doesn't mean it IS cooling. Have you tried upping the fan speed ramp? And check your temps while gaming? You might also take off the side cover on the case and blow a fan in there to rule out cooling issues.

0 Likes

I’ve done some heavy stress testing and the temps remain quite low even

running gpu and cpu at 100% for over an hour. No crashes. Nothing. I’ve

done some fan configuration but it didn’t help. I’ve vacuumed out the dust

and cleaned everything up as well. I keep thinking it might be cooling but

the temps don’t get that high and sometimes I have a whole night of no

crashes and I’m not doing anything different.

I haven’t really used the amd debugging tool but I ran occt and had crashes

while in monitoring mode and the tool just continues to say ‘no errors’

which was disappointing.

0 Likes

Well, sounds like it's not heat. I can afford to replace my whole gaming system but it's not needed. I have a 6 year old system (Intel CPU, 16 gigs of RAM, Vega 56) and my frame rates in my games are well over 60 fps. I simply don't need a new system and hate to spend a bunch of money just to see if it fixes the crashing. I'd of course keep the Vega 56 with the new build, at least until the new AMD cards come out in the next few months so in that sense it would be a good test. Or maybe NVIDIA cards now support my Free Sync enabled monitor? Ack, I have been an AMD supporter since the early 00's, only occasionally building system with Intel CPU's and have almost never owned an NVIDIA card.

0 Likes

I hear you. I’m in almost the same boat. Could spend a bunch of money

replacing things but it’s not needed at this time. Everything is running

really well (when it runs).

Nvidia has their own monitor software and the monitors are like twice the

price as the free sync ones.

I actually went out and picked up a 2060 super and replaced my rx5600xt to

see if that would solve the issue and I actually still had crashes so I

returned it. I know I’m still on the amd forum but there’s a lot of good

conversation here and I’m hoping helps get to the bottom of this. I am now

taking out half my ram and going to try it in different slots to see if

that may be the issue.

0 Likes

SON OF A !!!!! YEARS LATER, I figured it out. It's fixed. NO MORE CRASHING.

So, I've mentioned in this thread and others that I had none of these issues until I replaced my older (RX580?) card with a RX Vega 56. I'm not sure of the timing exactly but somewhere around that time (or maybe exactly the same time) I also replaced my monitor with a VIOTEK GN32Q monitor because it supported Freesync. It turns out that it's somehow related to the lack of a monitor driver (with a proper list of supported resolutions and refresh rates, and possibly FreeSync range) for this generic monitor. Bear with me as I'm not at home on my gaming system to have to guess at the names of some of the thing below.

I stumbled onto this thread here. Like, him, the AMD driver showed my monitor's supported Freesync range at 90 to 144 Hz. FWIW, the game I really struggled with the crashing in is F1 2020 (Codemasters) and I was running Anti-lag, Enhanced Sync and FreeSync. My in car driving frame rates are, IIRC, in the 80's. I think the crashing was caused when the game would cross the 90 FPS range and then maybe the driver would try to switch to FreeSync.

I used the CRU utility to change the FreeSync range from "90 to 146Hz" to "40 to 146Hz". I also edited the monitor's Detailed resolutions to have only two settings supported, the 2k res at 60Hz and at 144Hz. This took a LOT of experimenting and reboots but in the end it's FIXED for me. I've even turned back on the TDR setting with no ill effects.

Changing this stuff isn't perfect. When sitting at the desktop (windows 10) I sometimes have to use the display settings to switch back and forth between the refresh rate, between 60 and 144 Hz. For the most part, once I'm done gaming I change it back to 60Hz.

I'm not sure how useful it would be for me to walk anyone through every step since you may not have the same monitors. This is a lesson for me to never buy a generic monitor again. This monitor, I love everything about it and it cost me only $450 while supporting FreeSync and the other certified FreeSync monitors at the time were starting at $900, IIRC. I am referring to monitors with a minimum size of 32" BTW.

I hope this helps get some of you on the right track. I can tell you that many nights, for the first 30 minutes my F1 game would hard lock (I had TDR turned off) sometimes 5 or more times then for whatever reason would usually settle in for the next few hours. Now, I've had at least 5 gaming sessions with not one crash of any kind.

Poor AMD, this was never even their fault and I can now see why while this problem wasn't that rare, there were many people having no issues like this. I'll criticize AMD in one way, they should have a good bug reporting tool that could have tracked that many of us have generic, uncertified (in terms of FreeSync) monitors.

Lastly, I'll help when I can but I'm super busy and it may be days until I can respond here. Suffice it to say, you need to understand how to use CRU, you need to know your monitor's supported refresh rates, and you need to have big cajones because you may end up having display issues if you mess up the CRU settings.

Oh, one more huge frustration I had with F1 2020. Until I figured out the problem, the game would sometimes be blurry and not smooth at all. I'd look in the games video settings and saw F1 had switched to a customer resolution that was just below the native 2k resolution (3840 x 2160 or something?). I couldn't fix this no matter what. It turns out that the per game AMD driver settings must not be on anything but Full Panel. Maintain aspect ratio was the setting that was causing this. It seemed like the right setting but in hindsight was not.

0 Likes
icrysysi
Journeyman III

the final solution:

you need 2 single wire x 8 pins from power supply to graphic card, if you connect 1 wire x16pins, doesnt work.

Solución "El controlador de pantalla dejó de funcionar y - Microsoft Community 

Im Engipi.

0 Likes
khalidmkhan
Journeyman III

I've been having stability issues with my build;

AMD Ryzen 5 3600x

MSi B450M Mortar Max (updated to latest bios)

Thermaltake SMART RGB500W

Corsair LPX 3000Mhz 16GB x 2 (Dimm slot 2 & 4)

XFX RX590 8GB Fatboy (originally MSi RX580 8GB OC)

GAMEMAX Kamikaze Pro mATX case

Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe M.2 2280

Windows 10 Pro 1906 build

Damn, this has been the most frustrating thing I've ever done. I've spent so much time on this for the last few weeks, that I'm willing to chuck it all it!

Ok, the system starts well after a build. And I've rebuilt this thing like I don't even know anymore.

But, after a little while, the system will crash. The screen will turn blank, but the lights and fans on the system are still running. In fact, if I wait a little the fans start to spin at a higher constant rate. This is the time I get a little scared and hard reset the machine.

I changed the Graphic Card, after I installed the little speaker on the motherboard and it gave me a long beeb and then two little beebs. Online beeb manual said Graphic card issue. I had originally thought it might the RAM, the problem would affect the system while it was fully loaded and working, and then I would not be able to boot up or sometimes you could and it would freeze when loaded or not get there at all. **there is no consistancy with when it freezes.

Reason for writing; I tried that TDLr thing davejb‌ was talking about. Lets see if this works. I don't know anymore

Also, I have A-XMP on, so my ram speed is where it should be. I have no intention to run it on 2133!

Lets see.

0 Likes

I had issues with Corsair LPX 3000Mhz as well, and concluded the ram was bad.  I exchanged it with Corsair for a replacement and now my system runs fine.  Mind you my setup has 4 sticks of 8GB of memory, so I have to run it at 2666Mhz with my Ryzen 7 1700.  I ran a number of memory tests and none of them failed, but when I moved the ram to a Intel 6600K system then the same problems happened to that machine.  The only test that remotely showed the memory was bad was the Kill Ryzen Script, which you run in Linux.  You can boot off of a USB stick to run the script.  https://www.reddit.com/r/ryzen/comments/emstzn/3400g_and_kill_ryzen_script/ 

0 Likes