cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

dukenukemx
Adept II

Re: Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

The issue with the old motherboard was that memory stability was inconsistent.  Four sticks of 4GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Ghz was running for 8 hours at 2800Mhz with Memtest86+ and HCI Memtest.  But with 2 sticks in the A1+B1 only got 2666Mhz with Memtest86+.  Anything higher and errors would occur.  With all 4 sticks 2666Mhz wasn't stable, so I ended up running at 2133.  Not sure if 2400Mhz was stable but I was worried if the memory was the cause not how high I can run the memory. 

With the MSI B350 Tomahawk I can set the SOC to 1.1v and I'm running the same memory at 2800Mhz with no issue yet.  I haven't run any heavy duty games yet but I plan to play Metro Exodus soon and see what happens.  Historically I've had more issues with FireFox than games with the drivers crashing and I have FireFox loaded up with multiple tabs with no problems so far.  The driver crash would occur once or twice daily.  I didn't reinstall Windows 10 cause I'm super lazy, and just removed the old drivers and reinstalled them.  Gotta remove the drivers before swapping the motherboard, and yea I had to activate Windows 10 again.  I don't use the onboard Realtek audio but have the Creative Recon3D which is very problematic as that sound card has a known issue with resuming from sleep and losing sound and Creative doesn't update the drivers anymore cause it's "legacy", whatever that means.  So I hibernate my PC but I may end up using the onboard Realtek if this continues.  I also have a Asus sound card I can use as well.  I didn't set the TdrDelay cause it never worked for me.  I've tried in the past setting it to 16 seconds I think, and it just froze longer before the driver resets. 

cheekychan
Adept II

It's nice to know you've figured it out. I am a bit surprised it was your mobo not having proper support for your RAM since Ryzen has made leaps and bounds to support as many RAM configurations as possible since the early days when it was attrociously incompatible and these updates were often forced onto the mobo manufacturers as BIOS updates. So I wonder if your old mobo was just defective or they simply never added compatibility.

I myself won't touch any Creative hardware anymore. Many of their sound cards designed foe Windows 10 are now no longer supported after certain updates, I find they have some of the worst drivers I've ever come across that range from confliction problems to out right system instability even with a fresh Windows install, a lot of their updates can be very buggy as well. I usually just opt for a motherboard with a very good internal sound card, like ASUS' Supreme FX audio chipsets, some of the better sounding chipsets I've used and usually shielded separately from the motherboard to lower interference and background noise. If you really want the best quality sound though I recommend setting up an HDMI audio receiver and outputting from your GPU unless you need analog surround for some reason then onboard should be alright, if you need clean headphone or headset audio a USB DAC is your best choice, USB headsets work as a USB DAC as well.

You should definitely turn TdrDelay at least to 10, not having it may cause your GPU drivers to not recover in the event something truly does cause them to hang or crash.

Metro Exodus should be a good benchmark for the system, it's pretty heavy across CPU, RAM and GPU usage so it should put your PC through it's paces, as for Firefox, there's good reason for that. Firefox has some very aggressive garbage collection, so it's constantly filling and removing data from the RAM when it doesn't need it to keep RAM usage low.

dukenukemx
Adept II

I'm considering increasing the TdrDelay just in case.  My situation may not be the same issue everyone is dealing with, and the issue may still be there cause I need lots of time to see if the driver crashes.  Sometimes it takes a week and sometimes it happens multiple times a day.  As for sound cards I have a plethora of choices like the Asus DGX, Auzen Xplosion 7.1, and of course the onboard.  But I do like the way the Creative cards sound.  Also I have 5.1 speakers not headphones, so it has to be analog out. 

As for the ASRock Ryzen boards they're known for instability issues, specifically the B350 chipset ones.  Nobody knows why but they're known to cause issues.  My belief is the lack of the ability to adjust the SOC which maybe causing these issues.  I have no experience with Ryzen and this is my first Ryzen system so I assume if memtest86+ can run for hours without any errors then everything must be fine.  Lots of people have reported they can't adjust the SOC so it's maybe a design flaw or maybe ASRock doesn't want people increasing the SOC voltage.  This doesn't explain this issue people have with Intel CPU's or other Ryzen motherboards, but it maybe a clue that some people may have bad memory or bad memory settings?  Ryzen with its infinity fabric maybe even harder to test for issues with traditional memory test tools like memtest86+ and HCI? 

Here's some videos of people explaining their frustration with ASRock B350 motherboards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qc33ekBnP0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWj3ITxEMqM <- This guy ended up buying another motherboard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzRG_LjUl8Q

voidwards
Journeyman III

Same issues here really, in particular with Mass Effect Andromeda which I think is a punishing test for the card (and also to my knowledge quite buggy). Game will freeze and then screen just dies and the monitor asks for input. Card is on but not responding somehow. Tried the TdrDelay and it looked like it was coming back to life but then locked up and had to reboot. 

It's quite infuriating, I had this issue on an older setup and two weeks ago changed my Motherboard, PSU, RAM and CPU in order to ensure there wasn't any issues with power/hardware as the old stuff was getting quite old. The only thing that got "better" was that the system didn't reboot itself when this happened but rather just froze, so I think it fixed one issue but not the other. 

Running a Sapphire RX580 with 8GB RAM on a ROG STRIX B450-F Motherboard with a Ryzen 2600 Processor. 650W PSU. 

davejb
Adept II

FFS people. TURN THE TDR FEATURE OFF. OFF. NOT DELAY. OFF. Look at my post. Look at the URL. I explain how to turn it off. I tried setting the delay to 60 seconds a while back. That just delayed it by... 60 seconds. 

Also, I've asked many times for the error from the event viewer. We're all running around in the dark here without each of your exact error messages. 

I'm done trying to help. I'm unsubscribing to this thread.

cheekychan
Adept II

That's actually the first I've heard of the ASRock boards having so many issues so that's good to know. I'm just a bit surprised since AMD wanted the BIOS of Ryzen boards to be pretty much Iidentical. I guess it's up to the manufacturers to lock out or not support certain features and/or cheap out on power delivery like they've always been. I personally don't use ASRock or Biostar for builds, I've never had an issue with ASRock (Just avoided them because they were usually cheaper which can translate to cheaper components used in manufacturing.) but I have had lots of issues with Biostar boards, usually cooling issues on south bridge or blowing caps on older motherboards.

Yeah, after some hours with Memtest it's usually safe to say it's working, you can run AIDA but I've seen perfectly good systems crash under AIDA where as they wouldn't crash even under the most demanding workloads/games pinging the CPU at 100% usage. AIDA is just another beast all together since it stresses every portion of a CPU.

Yeah, I was in the same boat audio wise. I personally like a clean flat sound with slightly bumped mids and lows, I was running a 5.1 analog setup with my old Yamaha but I upgraded to a newer Yamaha unit without analog 6 channel and use HDMI solely now, the biggest difference is almost no interference or hissing in the background and my Supreme FX ASUS chipset already had very low background noise for an analog card but that's the problem with analog sound in general, no matter what it'll probably pickup interference. I also run Equalizer APO and have my system completely customized that way as some audio enhancements were not supported via HDMI out, I used EAPO to setup stereo surround on stereo signals and created my own faux "Bass Management" by setting a low pass filter on the sub channel and a high pass filter around 150Hz on the other channels to funnel all low frequencies to my sub woofer. My speakers can handle the low frequencies but this ensured LFE sounded proper in movies and games. I find EAPO to be much better than any kind of gimmick software that comes bundled with sound cards since you can configure every single detail how you want it and with the PEACE GUI you can save multiple configs and even per device configs.

medard
Adept I

Turning TDR off does nothing for me. It just makes my pc hang completely instead of recovering.

I've been struggling with similar issue for six months since I upgraded from R9 390 to Vega64.

The difference is I am getting this eventid 4101 "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered." error only after rebooting my pc. If I shut pc off and then turn back on everything is ok. But If I reboot my pc, sometimes randomly my screen goes black for a few secs and I am getting eventid 4101.

I tried everything I found on google, TDR, fast boot, tried endless versions of amd drivers, bios versions, disabled power saving features in windows and bios, reinstalled Windows (with deleting all partitions and reformat as well), disabled all peripherial devices that i don't use, onboard sound and unused sata ports and such. The last thing I bought new PSU Seasonic Prime Ultra 850W Platinum, which at first I thought it fixed my problem, but only partially, with this new psu sometimes after every other or third reboot everything is ok, which confused me.

Since I dont do overclocking, I never tried and shouldn't messing with voltage settings in BIOS. I was wrong.

I increased PCH core voltage from 1.050 to 1.15 in bios and so far everything works ok. I am testing for two days, rebooted my pc many many times, no eventid 4101 errors so far. This is very weird, because according to technical data, videocard communicates directly with the controller in CPU, not the motherboard PCH.

Anyway all I can say, perhaps Vega64 puts alot of stress on the good old Z97 chipset so it needs more power or something like that.

My Specs:

Windows 10 Home 1809
Benq XL2730Z display
Gigabyte Radeon RX VEGA 64 GAMING OC 8G
GA-Z97X-SLI (rev. 1.1)
i7 4790k
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz Crucial Ballistix Tactical
Samsung SSD 960EVO 500GB system disk, and two hard disks for storage

Seasonic Prime Ultra 850W Platinum PSU

dukenukemx
Adept II

That's interesting cause on my Ryzen system with the new MSI Tomahawk board I'm stable for over a week without any driver crashing.  Maybe too soon to say but it maybe due to increasing the SOC voltage to 1.1v which I couldn't do on the ASRock.  It could be that the Radeon drivers are much more sensitive to the system not being 100% stable and while other things work fine the Radeon drivers do not.  In my case I thought it was a faulty GPU but some of the errors kinda point to bad memory which I was ready to replace the memory since it passes in memtest86+ for 8 hours.

It could be that everyone here doesn't have a 100% stable system and these Polaris and Vega card drivers need a very very stable system. 

0 Likes
dukenukemx
Adept II

So far its been over 2 weeks and nothing crashed or driver reset.  I have stuff running forever like Firefox, games, and etc without rebooting the machine.  Whatever the problem was, it revolved around that motherboard.  Again, no problems running memory and CPU tests.  All passed without problems on the ASRock motherboard, but this driver crashing still occurred. 

0 Likes
cheekychan
Adept II

That's good to hear. I wouldn't be surprised if an unstable system may cause problems, especially in DX12 or Vulkan titles since they swap  memory around more often and more efficiently. Then again, it's been announced recently that the October Update for Win10 is causing graphics problems now after they thought they fixed all the issues.

0 Likes