cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

cheekychan
Adept II

Re: Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Could you give me some info on when this started happening for you? I'm inclined to believe it's definitely not your motherboard, I don't think your GPU is faulty either. I believe this to be an AMD and Windows 10 problem. Also, the reason you're getting BSOD's now is because Windows can't restart the driver since you either set the delay for too long or disabled it.

Before when the driver was crashing your games did you notice any ill effects when using your system after the driver crashed and recovered? Sluggishness, did videos play properly, did games drop in FPS, etc?

dukenukemx
Adept II

I've had the RX 480 since 2016 using my FX 8350.  In 2018 I upgraded to a Ryzen 7 1700 and that's when the problems started happening.  It happened rarely so that's why it was hard to catch.  It got worse a few months ago where FireFox would crash it.  Now the system just pauses for a few seconds and eventually the monitor goes off and I have to force a reboot.  Not sure why it doesn't just reset the drivers like before, and I've removed TdrLevel.  As for performance nothing seems to have changed.

My game plan is to keep lowering my memory clock each crash until I hit 2133Mhz, which is where I'm currently at now.  I have 4 sticks of Corsair Vengeance LPX and I know Ryzen isn't exactly friendly when it comes to having 4 sticks of memory, but all memory tests have passed for hours.  If this happens again I'm pulling out 2 sticks and see if that stops it as one set is version 3.21 and the other is 5.20.  Specifically the 5.20 as that doesn't clock as high as the 3.21's.  If that fails then I also have a RX 470 in a HTPC that I can just swap and see if the problem moves.  If the problem persists then it must be the motherboard, which wouldn't shock me as the ASRock AB350 Pro4 and similar boards have a lot of complaints from people about stability.  It's either that board or my Ryzen CPU which I doubt is the issue.  My boot drive isn't the issue either as last month I upgraded to a 1TB SSD, where before I had a 2TB HDD.  So recently swapped drives and reinstalled Windows 10 to 1809 as well.  My gut feeling says ASRock but I'll exhaust all other options first.  I can't imagine this being a driver or Windows 10 bug for such a long time.  I could try Linux Mint 19 for 2 weeks and see if the problem persists as I'm proficient at Linux.  I'm sure I have a spare drive laying around that I can temporarily use for 2 weeks and see if the problem persists. 

asaslt
Journeyman III

Same thing for me. Can't fix it for 2 weeks. Tried everything, looked like TdrDelay fixed it this morning but crashed again later.

cheekychan
Adept II

It's my experience that Ryzen on most motherboards have fixed a lot of the memory compattibility issues, even four slots of RAM. I'd be surprised to find out it's a mobo or CPU problem. I've seen so many people witth this exact same issue with vastly different systems, usually the only similar thing is AMD GPU and Windows 10 , especially the 1809 update. I myself am having an issue with 1809 and have done everything my power and knowledge short of a Windows 10 reinstall to fix it. My PC will not play videos and will almost certainly crash when playing a game if it's been woken up from sleep mode. A reboot is the only solution, restarting the driver doesn't work but installing the Microsoft Basic Graphics Adapter driver fixes tthe issue. But reinstalling the AMD one in the same boot brings the same problems back. It's very very strange. I even pain stakingly removed every driver and non-essential service I no longer needed on my system, even went as far as manually removing nearly every component of AMD's graphics drivers, even things DDU missed and still nothing. But the fact the basic driver fixes the issue leads me to believe it's driver related in my case.

Also, did you return TdrLevel to it's previous state? If you out right disabled or deleted the entry this will cause your graphics driver to never attempt to recover.

davejb
Adept II

Well, obviously I can't know what's causing this same problem for others, but I wish I could explain how after over a year of hell, I went from crashes all the time to now, weeks without even one crash and the only thing that did it was disabling the TDR feature. 

cheekychan
Adept II

That sounds like your GPU isn't recovering after a driver restart. Have you tried extending the time for TdrDelay? Can you also try hitting CTRL+SHIFT+WIN+B? Make sure you're not doing anything on the PC and close all programs before attempting. This will force Windows 10 to restart the video driver and all services attached to it. I'm curious if your PC will recover from it or crash as it does pretty much the same thing as TdrDelay, the only difference is that when TdrDelay kicks in is when something has caused your video driver to freeze, so if doesn't crash that could be the difference, whatever is causing your driver to freeze is also causing the crash.

dukenukemx
Adept II

I just deleted the TdrLevel entry in the registry, I didn't put it to 1 or whatever.  That might explain why the GPU doesn't try to recover.  I guess I'll have to put it back with a value of 1?  Also at this point I've removed the 2 sticks of Corsair Vengeance LPX v5.20 memory for now and seeing if this is the issue.  Since I have 4 sticks of 4GB memory I can live with with just 8GB for now.  Another thing to point out with the v5.20 memory is that it would do a very quick first pass in memtest86+.  Usually it takes 20-40 minutes for a single pass but this memory likes to do a 3 or 5 minute first pass, which might indicate an issue.  Then again it could be a witch hunt but it's worth trying until I try swapping GPU's.  I haven't played any games in a week so maybe today I'll fire up a game and see if this accelerates a BSOD or a driver crash since I now know the TdrLevel might not be set for driver recovery. 

cheekychan
Adept II

You can add the registry entry back in and set it at 10, it's in seconds. When the entry is missing Win10 will out right not even try to recover the driver, you can set something like 10 seconds so if the driver actually locks up it'll wait 10 seconds before restarting it which prevents it from restarting when a game is just loading or something and it locks the HDD up.

Plus some DX12 games like the Forza series can cause the driver to lock up when loading into a track and can cause the driver to prematurally recover and crash the game.

That's a bit strange, Memtest86+ usually takes a while to complete, I've heard of some mobo BIOS causing issues with RAM configurations on Ryzen systems so maybe it's got something to do with that.

dukenukemx
Adept II

I ran my system for 2 weeks without issue with just 2 sticks of memory clocked at 2666Mhz as that's as high as it's able to go in Memtest86+.  I read online that people like to increase the SOC voltage to increase memory compatibility and the ASRock AB350 Pro4 doesn't seem to allow me to adjust that.  It's stuck at 0.95V.  There is a VID setting in the bios but no value I give it will increase the voltage.  Ryzen Master did increase the voltage but after sleeping hibernating or restarting it didn't remember it.  So I broke down and bought the MSI B350 Tomahawk which I now set the SOC to 1.1v with 4 sticks of 4GB ram and so far so good.  Time will tell if this is the reason I'm running into issues.

cheekychan
Adept II

Keep us posted, I'd like to know if that fixed your issue as well. Memory instability can cause issues that mimic other hardware problems so it would be nice if this ends up fixing the problem. Was your old mobo stable at 2600MHz without crashing the driver? Did you reinstall Windows 10 with this new mobo? If so I wonder if this new mobo has better driver support as well. I recently fixed my issue by force nuking a ton of old drivers from my system that weren't being used and I have a feeling the included HDMI Realtek audio driver may have been conflicting with my 270's AMD HDMI drivers. Did you ever set TdrDelay?