cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

samboush
Journeyman III

Re: Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Hi. I have same problem. WIN 10 Radeon Fury.  Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered. All the time.

Not only in games but everywhere where is used some 3d acceleration.

My investigation end with this. Any Win 10 64bit driver from AMD for Radeon Fury after 17.4.4 is not working. Same issue. But 17.4.4 works ok in any cases without crashes.

It's same version of drivers what Windows 10 install automaticly after complete removed any AMD drivers and Software.

I don't know how it's possible that AMD leaves Radeon Fury without support for One and half year.

davejb
Adept II

Sam, please see my post above that starts with TL/DR. I can now game for hours and days with no crashes.

samboush
Journeyman III

Hi,thanks you for answer.
Do you mean remove whole TL/DR section?

0 Likes
davejb
Adept II

No, I think you just need to set TDR level to zero. I think this over rides the other TDR settings.

Yes, the instructions on that webpage are not clear at first. So, at this location in the registry: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers" add a new DWord 32 bit  called "TdrLevel" value and set it to 0 then reboot.

TDR.JPG

dukenukemx
Adept II

I tried the delay but that didn't work so I tried the TdrLevel at 0 and that surprisingly worked. No more random driver resets, except for Deus Ex Mankind Divided in DX12 but that games DX12 implementation also crashed my old Radeon HD 7850. So far I've been using FireFox for days and nothing crashing, as well as Deus Ex but in DX11. Only problem is when it does crash the system has to be rebooted which is not a good thing.

So whens AMD going to fix this?

0 Likes
davejb
Adept II

Mother of God. After all my attempts to help people someone actually tried what I suggested?! Sweet! This HAS worked for me, though I still get hard crashes sometimes. Basically the display just freezes while the audio keeps playing. CTRL ALT DEL then causes a black screen. Have to hold the power button in to cycle the power. I've found that with Windows 10, I signfigantly reduce the frequency of this type of crash by REBOOTING after I've powered up the PC. That is, enter room, PC is off, power on PC and log in, wait a few seconds and hit Restart. I believe this has to do with Windows 10 not doing full shutdowns (even though I've set it it to do that). 

Man, someone finally listened to me and the only fix for this that I've seen work, after years now. Cool!

dukenukemx
Adept II

Actually I removed TdrLevel after reading that maybe it's my dual monitor setup.  People are saying that dual monitors that aren't set to the same frequency might cause the driver to crash, and found that my main 1080p monitor was set to 59hz and not 60hz, while my other 1680x1050 monitor was set to 60hz.  So far no driver crashes though it maybe due to dumb luck.  I'll post again after a week of using my PC. 

I also hibernate my PC now instead of sleep though that hasn't stopped the display driver from crashing in the past.  AMD did release a new driver today that sounds like it might address this issue so I'll install that later as well. 

davejb
Adept II

Good luck with removing that. Removing it didn't work for me; this has been the only reliable work around for me. Don't forget how to do this because you'll be back

Also, Hibernate will not suffice. Look up how Windows 10 shuts down, or hibernate or sleep vs. what restart does. Essentially, restart is the only one of those that behaves like Shut Down of all operating systems until Windows 10. 

Good luck and it's nice to finally see a dialogue going in a thread I've posted in. Seems like my posts and the threads I've posted in are black holes.

jbyrne
Adept I

Thanks davejb. 48h without getting the error so far. I was getting mad trying to figure out what was wrong with my card.

Regards.

dukenukemx
Adept II

I'll try that TdrLevel again but I don't think it'll work.  I've gone for 3-4 days and now it hits me with a BSOD and reboot.  The system has been doing this for a while now, since I've built the machine I think.  This happens again I have a RX 470 sitting in another machine I'll swap and see if the problem follows it.  If it happens again then my motherboard must be junk and it needs to be replaced.  I'll also pull out some ram for good measures. 

Here's the latest dmp of my BSOD.  You'll see it says "FAULTING_IP: atikmdag+13381".  It went from resetting the display driver to straight up crashing. 

https://pastebin.com/eK0S4aUj