cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

saiqaaa
Adept I

Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Sept 2016 when we test up this pc I thought the blackscreen was normal until it become more frequent and pain in my *** I cant play games,vids or browse any website that have gifs on their homepage. I try to find the problem and I saw it on the Event viewer and "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding..." I already reset this pc many times and still the error occurs

MSI B150M Bazooka
XFX AMD Radeon RX480
Intel i5 - 6402p
ADATA XPG Z1 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 2133MHz RAM

Windows 10 Home
PSU:HPG-600BR-F12S

Toshiba 1TB 3.5″ 7200 RPM Hard Drive DT01ACA100

LG 24x DVD CD RW DL M-Disc Optical Drive

60 Replies
saiqaaa
Adept I

Re: Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

pastedImage_0.pngamdmatt

My first keyboard was destroyed of that crash

0 Likes
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Have you tried the steps listed here > Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers ?

Assuming you have tried everything from a software side, it could be a hardware fault, either with the graphics card or the PSU or possibly another component like the motherboard.

Can you try the GPU on a different system?

saiqaaa
Adept I

When I change it into ms basic display adapter it runs smoothly
and then  this  Rx 480 automatically installed and crash again ang again
I already tried the clean install nothing happens

0 Likes
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sounds like potential faulty hardware.

horgun
Journeyman III

In my brother's computer the screen would blink and sometimes the computer would freeze. In the event logs there would be some Display warnings saying the display driver had stopped.

What solved the issue was put the energy power plan in high performance or go to the advanced settings in Balanced power plan and set the PCI Express -> Connection State Energy Management setting (I don't know if it's name is actually like that, but I think it will be the only option inside PCI Express) to off.

0 Likes
davejb
Adept II

EDIT: TL/DR: FIXED FOR GOOD: Power Supply.

Well, curious. I wonder if some of those changes might have softened possible transient power spikes? I think I've read the Vega (and maybe 580) have bigger transient spikes than in the past? Anyway despite all the time that has passed since this post and all the things that seemed to help sometimes even for weeks, recently I had another HORRIBLY maddening run of random crashes in game.

PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE SOLVED: power supply. God bless it.

So, I had quality Antec 750 watt power supply that I think I bought in about 2011. Right up until I replaced my R9 280 (first with a 580 then Vega RX56) I had incredible stability so it never occurred to me the PS could be the problem. I'm pretty sure the Vega RX 56 doesn't draw MORE power than an R9 280 but I have read that possibly it does spike quite high sometimes.
Anyway, I bought a brand new Corsair HX850i and have now gamed for at least 12 hours with no crashes. Interestingly, the power drawn through this PS shows that it's not pulling even half of 850 watts so it's total overkill apparently. I mean, the power supply fan hasn't even needed to come on yet.

I need to post this in the forum, but I had this problem for almost a year (see here my terrible crashing for months fixed - RX 580 and Vega RX56 )and I was ... losing my mind. In short, I had NO stability issues for almost 3 years with an Intel box and an R9280. I upgraded to an RX580 and started to get the amdkmdap error constantly. Then the Vega RX56 came on sale and I hoped that the 580 was defective and the Vega would fix the issue. Nope. These crashes were just constant, no matter what I was doing.

Now, I have a few posts on this forum about this and thought I had it figured out a couple times, thinking something else was causing it, but no. I've fixed it now. NO MORE CRASHING. It took me a very long time to track down the specific problem by starting to take notes to any changes made by me, Windows Updates or driver updates. I had tried the TDR_Delay fix and that seemed better for a while but wasn't good enough. Also, either this key or another key (I'm not at home to see my notes) kept changing even DURING my gaming sessions. I'd set it, it would be fine as long as it remained then the O/S would change it back and it would crash.

Okay, the fix for me was to set (or add the key) TdrLevel to "0". This means that a graphics driver crash means you'll need to fully reboot the PC, but I had no choice. I had so many nights where I couldn't even play for 3 or 4 minutes without a crash. Here's a URL that describes the key. TDR Registry Keys | Microsoft Docs

One interesting note. On my work PC which is running Windows 10 1803, there are no TDR keys at all. So, I'm wondering if the cause of going from a system that had an AMD card (the R9 280) and was stable for years and then the frequent crashing (after upgrading to the 580) is because AMD added the TDR key themselves with the newer cards.

juraj_m_
Adept II

Hello,

I'm having a problem where my PC often cannot wake up from sleep or hibernation and in the event log I can see 7 rows of "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered." right after start - and then reboot.

Is it OK that my GPU driver needs to be recovered 7 times during waking up from sleep???

I have RX 480 4GB and I'm pretty sure this was not happening few months ago, so I suspect this is related to new drivers. I have now 18.10.1.

EDIT:

I've found out what was causing the problem - the EVR, Enhanced Video Renderer. I'm not sure why, but after watching any movie or episode using MPC, something would break without any sign and next sleep / hibernation would fail. Switching to a different renderrer helped - now I'm using madVR and everything works again.

dukenukemx
Adept II

I have the same problem with "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered."  Happens every so often.  I've tried removing drivers, I've tried updating the motherboard BIOS, I've tried many things and it just still happens.  I'm just built my Ryzen 7 1700 with a Asrock AB350 Pro4 motherboard with a RX480 4GB running Windows 10. 

I'm gonna try @davejb idea but I'll be using TdrDelay first set to 8 to see if that stops the issue.  As far as I know there's no delay cause I'll be using my PC as normal and then suddenly the screen goes off and comes back. 

dukenukemx
Adept II

After a week of using Chrome I've had no driver crashes, but as soon as I use Firefox with multiple tabs open it will crash the graphics driver.  It seems there's an issue between the AMD driver and Firefox.  I will avoid using Firefox until a fix is made.