cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

SG-17
Journeyman III

Display crashes when playing games (RX 480)

CPU: AMD FX-8370 (stock clock)

GPU: AMD RX 480 8GB (stock clock)

RAM: 8GB DDR3 (stock clock)

PSU: Corsair CX550M

Monitor: 1080p 144hz FreeSync Lenovo

Boot Drive: WD Blue 250GB SSD

Issue: Whenever I play any "modern" game for longer than ~15 minutes my display will crash, for lack of a better term. The screen will go to a single color (black, tan, white, etc), no error information will be displayed and the PC will stay on.

Nothing is logged in Event Viewer at the time of the crash. This only happens on "new" games, for example Fallout 76, Civilization VI, Jurassic World Evolution to name a new. It does not happen in games like Civilization V, Star Wars: Battlefront II (2005), Fallout 3, and Fallout New Vegas.

I have tried to do a clean driver install by using the AMD Cleaning Utility. I have tried to re-seat my GPU. I've tried downclocking my GPU. Nothing works.

The odd thing is if I run Furmark I can be at 100% GPU utilization for hours and it be fine, the temperature never exceeds 73C. I have also tried the benchmarking tools in Civilization VI to try and simulate max usage of CPU and GPU and it never crashed during the benchmarks unless I left them running past ~15 minutes. I ran the free benchmark in 3D Mark as well and it did not crash during it. According to CPU Temp my CPU never goes above 50C.

I am at my whits end here with this issue. I built this PC in March 2017 and I only noticed the issue last spring when I finally got around to playing "newer" games.

I would just build a whole new system if GPUs weren't crazy expensive right now.

0 Likes
0 Replies