cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

rharrison
Journeyman III

Disappearing RX 560X

I just bought an Asus FX505DY, had just a few days. It has an RX 560X installed but every few minutes if the computer sits idle the GPU will up and disappear from every window I can think to find it on, including the Device Manager, Task Manager, the Radeon Setting panel, and even DxDiag.

The drivers are fully up to date. Power management and being plugged in or unplugged don't seem to matter. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

194 Replies
the_sage13
Adept I

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted helpful comments here. I used this information to avoid the disappearing drivers problem on the ASUS TUF FX505DY laptop I bought in the last few days. 

A quick follow up question: does anyone know what is considered the acceptable GPU temperature range for the R560x (ideally on this laptop in particular)? I am getting between 77 and 83 degrees while gaming on relatively high end games (Dark Souls 3 and Witcher 3). Also, is it unusual that GPU load is showing up as a constant 100%?

0 Likes

I get temperature somewhere between 65 - 75.  hasn't gone above 75 yet. In radeon Settings if we choose high performance it always is a constant 100% Utilization. I changed to power saving but it was still above 80%. Try updating the new 19.8.2 driver for graphics card.. Update came in this week.. I play almost 5-6 hours  and havent seen temperature go above 75 yet. I play, PUBG PC , Fortnite, CS : GO...

0 Likes

Thanks for sharing your experience. I made a reddit post asking if I should consider seeking an exchange, or possibly undervolting the laptop given these temperatures. I need to see temps in a few more games first I guess to get a better picture of how it runs.

I am running BIOS 311, so I wonder if I don't have a similar issue to the one described by Santosh.... I tried raw_85's fix but unfortunately the service was already stopped, and on manual.

0 Likes

Bro, I got a laptop replacement too becoz my new laptop wasnt updating to BIOS 311 . Once i got new laptop, i updated BIOS, then Chipset driver, then graphics card driver. Previous version was 19.7.2/3 now its 19.8 . so update to latest graphics card driver. if your laptop is under warranty ask for a ASUS service center visit to ur place to assist in fixing driver issues too. they will come for free if laptop is under warranty... my GPU usage is always 100% becoz I have set it high performance for all games. I just give a break of 5 mins if i play for 4 hours continuously and temperature drops . also keep the fan settings at balanced and not turbo....

I have seen a lot of BIOS updates for both desktop and laptop machines. I strongly recommend installing them for maximum stability.

That's exactly what I did (the driver installation process you mentioned), except I am running (what I believe is) the even newer graphics driver - 19.10.22.

It's weird, now I checked the readings on MSI afterburner last night and they came quite reasonable. I played Souls 3 for like 3 hours and the temperature was constantly between 71 and 75 degrees. Perhaps there is some issue with the GPU-Z (and speedfan?) data on cooling...? At a bit of a loss why the previous temperature readings (which I got from those other 2 apps) were so much different. I have to observe the readings a little more and work out what is happening.

0 Likes

Speedfan is not as well maintained as MSI Afterburner for managing video cards

0 Likes

Yeh I thought I had installed the AMD chipset drivers but they were the ones from ASUS so I installed the ones on the AMD site (as galentot suggested) and also reinstalled the GPU drivers recommended 19.8.2. I guess the other one (19.10.22) is a beta version or something. So far everything looks good and DS3 was running at average 70 or 71 degrees.  I guess there must have just been some issue with GPU-Z and Speedfan readings....

0 Likes

Ryzen Master is best for reading CPU settings and temperature

0 Likes
galentot
Adept I

Update on this:

Experiencing system instability when using latest drivers (chipset, gpu) from ASUS ie. higher power consumption, laggy system performance (Chrome, YouTube). Issues non existent in latest AMD drivers. Be warned.

0 Likes
gimyx
Journeyman III

is this issue sorted with the 19.9.1 update???

0 Likes

I didn't see a 19.9.1 GPU driver update, but in any case the conventional wisdom is that actually BIOS update 311 fixed this problem.

I just bought this laptop and can confirm that, for me at least, using the drivers on the asus site (ASUS TUF Gaming FX505DY Driver & Tools | Laptops | ASUS Global ) worked. I have gamed on it for many hours at a time and the drivers never disappeared yet. Install chipset (includes GPU driver 19.10.22) and BIOS v311 drivers. If it doesn't work then maybe think about trying the drivers on AMDs site. There's a school of thought that says ASUS puts the drivers up that they know work properly on this laptop and they are also unlikely to support setups not using those drivers.

0 Likes

The BIOS 311 fixed the issue. the only issue some guys are seeing now is the temperature being higher for some and for some it is not so high. I get temperatures between 65-75 but some are seeing above 75 C.... update the BIOS , then chipset drivers and graphics card driver. havent seen any issues since 4 weeks now..

0 Likes

Still getting high temps does anyone know how to fix this?

0 Likes

check your mobile machine for dust which can foul fans and make then less efficient

0 Likes

i am pretty sure its a software problem because different drivers give different temps. i think this may be because of my windows version. its still in 1803.

0 Likes

Hmm possibly, because im already on build 1903 without the OEM stuff except for important drivers from asus, also i have turned off secure boot because there are some AMD drivers that does not install properly.

0 Likes

Still the same after updating. Can you tell me which driver and bios version you are using? Because the name Radeon t only came up when the bios version was 309.

0 Likes

Bios Version 311, AMD adrenalin 19.5.2. RadeonT also showing but nothing unusual.

0 Likes

My idle temp is 50°C

0 Likes

I idled mine for a few mins after playing Monster Hunter: World this is the result with my battery settings.

It is just about 43°C, I believe that your vents are now clogged. the rate of it getting clogged depends on where you live it tends to clog more easily in a tropical country.

Sorry late reply my previous message and probably this message is being moderated.

low temps.jpg

0 Likes

Thank you for the reply! But I know it's not clogged because I just cleaned it last month. I've seen some videos of people playing GTA v at high settings and they get temps similar to mine. So I think this problem is widespread. What temps do you get when playing GTA v at very high settings in turbo mode? 

0 Likes

just below 70°C from time to time but i notice performance drop sometimes. Also i didnt install asus armoury crate that is the one probably causing the high temps in turbo mode preventing the cpu and gpu to thermal throttle, that program felt like it was bloatware. my windows install is completely vanilla, so yeah no OEM windows bugs.

0 Likes

My room temperature is about 36°C.

0 Likes

Try setting your processor power management to passive instead of active, also try setting your minimum processor state to 0% not sure how this helps but i read it in article somewhere that it really helps and temps go down, system monitoring programs just don't record it fast enough for the lowest frequency to go zero.

Although doing this you will start to notice performance to go down.

Images below are my stress test, didn't even go past 70 C long enough, it just goes down.

CPU BURN TEST.jpg

GPU BURN TEST.jpg

0 Likes

I see that your core frequency is 1000mhz but mine is always at 1150 so I think that it might be the cause of my problem.

0 Likes

Oh i see, that is probably it, i just rechecked it on furmark, GPU core frequency changes when you set it in windows power options in AMD Graphics power settings from maximize performance to optimize battery it changes the frequency.

0 Likes
the_sage13
Adept I

Since people are still talking about temperature and I had previous mentioned high temperatures (above 80) on my card after the BIOS update I wanted to mention: it turns out the 80 degrees or more temps that I was quoting were actually attributed to my Radeon Vega graphics, not to the 560x. The R560x is always reporting temps between 70 and 75 during gaming, which seems fine. The higher temps on the Radeon Vega 8 are obviously a weird reporting anomaly, since it never shows more than 10% usage during gaming.

0 Likes

What driver are you using?

0 Likes

I'm using 19.10.22, the one that comes with the chipset drivers on the ASUS site.

0 Likes

you know we should create a reddit page to deal with problems regarding our laptops

miv_avian
Adept I

ANNOUNCEMENT TO ALL THAT ARE SUBSCRIBED TO THIS DISCUSSION: Asus has released a new bios update (BIOS 312) if you can't find it, it is in "BIOS & FIRMWARE" instead of in "DRIVER & TOOLS".

Thanks a lot for posting this, I would not have known otherwise.

Please share any experience you have with the new BIOS update if possible....

does your battery get warm when you use your laptop in battery mode? if so, how hot does it get?

0 Likes

Does your laptop slightly vibrate above the keyboard when the fan is running?

0 Likes