cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

rharrison
Journeyman III

Disappearing RX 560X

I just bought an Asus FX505DY, had just a few days. It has an RX 560X installed but every few minutes if the computer sits idle the GPU will up and disappear from every window I can think to find it on, including the Device Manager, Task Manager, the Radeon Setting panel, and even DxDiag.

The drivers are fully up to date. Power management and being plugged in or unplugged don't seem to matter. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

194 Replies

unable to update BIOS from 308 to 309, I have called the ASUS technician to come and update it.. I have all the updated drivers. My graphics is detected on first start of laptop and if i start playing a game it is detected and used , once i stop playing a game and do other activities then the graphics card disappears from Device manager , Radeon settings and it doesnt show in Task manager also...

0 Likes

did you try the above mentioned methods?

0 Likes

yes bro tried the above steps still same issue. 

0 Likes

The problem with the asus drivers is you'll have no way to access the radeon settings, nothing on right click or on start menu. You won't be able to tweak the settings for the gpu and individual games. That's why it's better to update to the latest drivers from amd, just more of a hassle to make it work on the fx505dy.

0 Likes

You should uninstall all graphics driver before install Asus driver. You should use DDU Safemode to make sure all driver clean. Today, i use DDU uninstall, then i install ASUS driver. I still can open Radeon Setting and play Metro Exodus. Maybe the problem is i don't know how long i can use it.

0 Likes

I recently installed gta v in my laptop and it ran very smoothly at high settings when the laptop was plugged in but when unplugged its fps dropped every few seconds. Do you have this problem? If so, do you know how to fix it?

0 Likes

You should go to Radeon Setting > Switchable > Change setting of GTA V to High Performance. And also setting Power Plan when you unplugged to High Performance. But i think you should plug in when you play game, i think unplug when playing game maybe not good for the batterry.

0 Likes

any games played on any laptop should be played when plugged in, it is advised from all laptop manufacturers.  I had the same issue with my Lenovo, if unplugged and playing then FPS drops , see some lag in games... when plugged in everything runs fine most of the time... 

0 Likes

i just found out that the issue occurs only when the laptop's battery level drops to 50%. play any game in your laptop when battery is less than 50% and then check if the problem occurs.

0 Likes
santhosh
Adept I

could this be a hardware issue? what makes you think that this could be corrected by software update?

0 Likes

This problem is mentioned in Known Issue of Release Note of driver from version 19.5.1 to now. So this issue maybe because of driver version.

0 Likes
paulson79
Adept I

Greetings Everyone!

I came to this topic suffering similar problem as you all. In my case though, the problem itself was slightly different. RX560 was visible in radeon settings app, however, whenever I was launching a game only integrated R8 Vega was available and no matter what I was trying to do, there was no chance to force computer to switch integrated GPU to RX560. You can easily imagine, that in more demanding games, quality of game-play was ultimately bad, making gaming laptop completely useless, not just in gaming but sometimes even in web browsing or video streaming (Yuhhh!!!).

I contacted Asus support (they should shut it down immediately, people working there have no slightest idea about managing computers and when it is coming to resolving technical issues or hardware/driver malfunction they are as useful as babies in the mist) but of course I received nothing useful from them. So I started looking on my own, getting ready to return the laptop and pick something with nvidia (ehhh, I was really pissed, actually I still am a bit...). Eventually I have come across with this topic and that was Eureka... just not immediately. So I will describe the path I needed to walk with all the issues I had during the process, to make it as useful and clear to everyone, who is suffering because of AMD&Asus negligence/stupidity, as possible. I hope it will finaly make your laptops work properly. It worked for me.

Before starting make sure that you have bios version 309. You can check what is your current version by pressing F2 on bios startup, before windows loading screen.

Step 1. DDU Safe Mode uninstall (essential step, no need to explain, nothing wrong or weird happened here)

Step 2. Installation of latest chipset driver from Asus support page (ver. 2520141501). Make sure that you will run install.bat as administrator, otherwise driver will not be installed and entire process will be useless. So don't double left click it, but right click and run as admin. During this step my screen got dark as usually, however it didn't auto restart itself after driver was installed. Pressing FN+F6 to turn off the screen, then press it again fixed the issue and let me to continue the process. I was expecting that the system will ask me to restart, however it did not, so I moved on.

Step 3. Installation of Adrenalin 19.7.1 from AMD website. As it was recommended by galentot before, I used express installation. Everything went smooth but system did not ask for restart again. I knew it is necessary though so I restarted my laptop.

Step 4. First launch after update. Computer hanged on windows login screen. Attention! Leave your computer in peace for a while, do not force restart it, it is not really hanging but applying drivers (at least I believe it is). In my case it took around 5 minutes, maybe a bit more before laptop was responsive again and I was able to login to windows and check if everything is ok. So I launched Grim Dawn... and it was fail. Still only integrated R8 Vega available. I cursed morons, who developed this nightmarish loop and sold it as gaming laptop and I was already opening the box, to shove the laptop inside and take it back to the store... However voice of final reason whispered to my ear, to check if everything is ok on Device Manager page. And it was not. Yellow "!" over RX560. Driver was not successfully installed.  So I right clicked it, chose "update driver" then I chose directory with drivers downloaded from AMD. After update, RX disappeared from the list. So restart of the laptop and... And it finally works! I don't know what went wrong that driver for RX560 was not properly installed. Perhaps I caused the issue, because I did not restart the computer after Step 2. I'm too lazy to redo the process and check if that's the case. Anyways my problem is gone and everything is working as it should.

It was a weird and annoying path, but eventually my laptop is working normally. No more inactive RX560, no issues with flickering screen etc.

I sincerely hope, that my detailed and colorful explanation will help those of you, who still suffer this issue to finally get rid of it and enjoy smooth working of your computer. Because in the end, this is very good laptop (of course once it is without issues).

Best Regards for all AMD supporters! (even though AMD not necessarily deserves our support, creating loops and glitches like this one)

0 Likes
santhosh
Adept I

The issue disappeared from both known issues and fixed issues in 19.7.2

0 Likes

Oh yeah, 19.7.2 we don't have this issue. Great

0 Likes

But it's not under fixed issues

0 Likes

santhosh wrote:

But it's not under fixed issues

AMD has not been as public as nVidia for posting a list of known issues. Both use databases and work from them

Microsoft has lots of issues but their telemetry database is not published either.

0 Likes

It was a known issue till 19.7.1 but now it just disappeared off the list

0 Likes

19.7.2 is now available, so try that driver

0 Likes

it works for me but don't know whether it works for others

0 Likes

I will update this driver today but my BIOS version is still 308 , so need to update to 309 and update driver or can I update new driver on 308 BIOS version itself, Can someone confirm?

0 Likes

yes i just did

0 Likes

you can update without updating the bios

0 Likes
santhosh
Adept I

don't update to 19.7.2 it is not working

0 Likes

BIOS version is 309 or 308 bro? for me I play PUBG PC Lite and Graphics card detects and works fine . the moment I switch to a game which doesnt require graphics card , The RX 560X disappears from Device Manager...

0 Likes

i dont think they fixed  the error

0 Likes
tanphat2705
Journeyman III

This is the fifth day since I installed ASUS driver. And I think until AMD fix this problem, ASUS driver is the best solution for us. With update from 19.5.1 to 19.7.2, VGA driver always disapper after 10-15 minutes. I tried the older version, it didn't disappear, but I got trouble with the flicker screen, lag, drop FPS when playing game.

So I decide to uninstall any VGA driver on my laptop with DDU Safe Mode and install Asus driver, and it's really work. No disappear, no flicker, no lag, no drop FPS. I tested with GTA V, Metro Exodus, Shadow of Tomb Raider, very smooth.

Some people can't open Radeon Setting with Asus driver, I think it because their laptop stilln't clean. I recommend use DDU to uninstall to make sure VGA driver back to default.

If you don't know how to use DDU, watch video. DDU Device Driver Uninstaller Fix Unrecognised GPU Clean Install AMD Radeon Drivers How To Use 6 - Y... 

Hope this solution can fix for everyone. And maybe hope AMD fix it soon for us. 

0 Likes

So Which Driver are you currently on after all this?

0 Likes

ASUS driver bro. Download AMD Radeon Setting APP on Download Center of ASUS.

0 Likes

I'm using 19.7.1, no problems here. Haven't updated to 19.7.2 since I've yet have the time to do so. 

0 Likes

I actually cant see 19.7.1 on amd drivers website...its only showing 19.5.2 and 19.7.2(optional) as latest

0 Likes

I tried using 19.7.1, but it wasn't work. Driver disappear after 10mins. Maybe, some people can fix, some people not. santhosh‌ tried using 19.7.2 and it still not solve the problem for him. I can't understand AMD.

0 Likes

mine was working fine till i installed 19.7.2 . Even after downgrading to 19.7.1 the problem still persisted. so i just installed asus driver and it works fine but cannot access amd radeon software though.

0 Likes

Can you send me the link to the asus driver?

0 Likes

You uninstall with DDU or just Uninstall it in APP Setting?

0 Likes

i contacted amd support and they told me they are still working on it

0 Likes

I cant use AMD Radeon settings as it keeps throwing me an error that driver version and AMD settings dont match ...

The ASUS folks told they will replace motherboard and check , so I said ok. will be getting the laptop motherboard replaced tomorrow...

0 Likes

So is this whole thing amd's fault or Asus's Fault??

0 Likes

You should uninstall any VGA driver on your laptop by using DDU safemode, and after install AMD Radeon Setting APP on Download Center of ASUS. I did it, and my VGA driver didn't disappear anymore. I can use Radeon Setting. Just make sure Graphics driver version is default like you just buy the laptop, just like that you can use Radeon Setting download from ASUS

0 Likes

I have Uninstalled VGA drivers using DDU Safemode, but

Download center of Asus? what is that?

0 Likes

I am using 19.7.1 and no problem at all. I followed the same path galentot suggested, I described how the installation process went for me with all the issues I experienced. Again, you don't have to limit yourself to an old dated asus drivers (but make sure that you install first chipset driver available on asus site), you can use amd 19.7.1 without any problem at all. Works perfectly fine for me. Tomorrow I will test 19.7.2 but I am 99% sure at this point, that I will not experience any issue after upgrading, same like with version 19.7.1. What is more, I noticed, that amd 19.7.1 driver works more stable and smoother than old asus one. Games look slightly better and occasional lags/spikes are no longer noticable. My recommendation, same as galentot is, do definitely upgrade the driver to the version available on amd site.