cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

rharrison
Journeyman III

Disappearing RX 560X

I just bought an Asus FX505DY, had just a few days. It has an RX 560X installed but every few minutes if the computer sits idle the GPU will up and disappear from every window I can think to find it on, including the Device Manager, Task Manager, the Radeon Setting panel, and even DxDiag.

The drivers are fully up to date. Power management and being plugged in or unplugged don't seem to matter. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

194 Replies

If the laptop is still under Warranty I would suggest contact Asus Support to see if your laptop needs to be RMAed.

Sounds, in my opinion, to be a hardware issue.

There is a relatively new Laptop BIOS and Chip Set for your laptop: ASUS TUF Gaming FX505DY Driver & Tools | Laptops | ASUS USA 

If you haven't updated your BIOS to the latest it might help plus the Chip Set probably may include the Intergrated Graphics driver for your AMD Ryzen 3 3550H APU.

holywanderer
Journeyman III

I have the same laptop model and recently started facing this issue, earlier it worked fine.

AMD has acknowledged this issue in latest radeon software edition 19.5.1

Release notes: Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.5.1 Release Notes | AMD 

I was using version 19.4.1 before and updated the day 19.5.1 was released. My bad I didnt read the release notes. But even after clean installing to 19.4.1 this problem persists.

As your issue is over a month old this doesnt seem to be a problem with latest drivers. But somehow installing 19.5.1 has triggered this issue for me which was absent before.

I hope AMD fixes it soon.

0 Likes

I never did determine what the cause was or if it has been solved. When I reached out to Asus for help, they weren't helpful in the slightest and told me I should just use what ever drivers were available from them rather than update directly from AMD or offer anything in the way of reasons it might be occurring. 

Since I'd only had it over a weekend, I ended up returning the laptop as something of a protest. 

best bet for laptops is what the machine vendor offers. many of them use customized devices for mobile use etc

0 Likes
valnguyen
Journeyman III

Same problem for ASUS TUF FX705DY. RX560X disappeared after using like 10-15 mins. Hence, I wasn't able to play heavy games. I had to reset window for driver reappearing again. As long as this problem persists, I'm stuck with the old driver version downloaded from Asus website and cannot update to the latest driver version. AMD or ASUS. Please fix this ASAP

0 Likes

valnguyen wrote:

Same problem for ASUS TUF FX705DY. RX560X disappeared after using like 10-15 mins. Hence, I wasn't able to play heavy games. I had to reset window for driver reappearing again. As long as this problem persists, I'm stuck with the old driver version downloaded from Asus website and cannot update to the latest driver version. AMD or ASUS. Please fix this ASAP

Asus has an update tool so use that to handle drivers and BIOS updates

0 Likes
gimyx
Journeyman III

i am also facing the same issue after the update because of which i cant play games . Tried installing the previous update but same issue 

Also i would like to mention that i faced a blue screen error naming

SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED 

What failed - atikmpag.sys

after the update . I request amd and asus to please fix it asap

0 Likes

gimyx wrote:

i am also facing the same issue after the update because of which i cant play games . Tried installing the previous update but same issue 

Also i would like to mention that i faced a blue screen error naming

SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED 

What failed - atikmpag.sys

after the update . I request amd and asus to please fix it asap

Use DDU and try the new driver fresh

0 Likes

tried everything but same issue everytime

0 Likes

Known Issue Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.5.2 Release Notes

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
sirdan82
Journeyman III

Just bought a ASUS TUF FX705DY W/RX560X today and I'm having the disappearing GPU issue also. It will show up on a fresh reboot but then it's gone within 5 minutes. They need to fix this asap it's ridiculous

lhinch
Journeyman III

Just got this laptop on Monday and have had to reset it twice once due to the rx560x disappearing and then the screen complete freezing unless I put the lid down and back up after trying to download aura, currently using the driver from Asus website but when I've done benchmarks on ff14 it shows up as Vega 8 but in the task manager on the performance tab it say the rx560x is been used, is that right? 

0 Likes
gimyx
Journeyman III

Now this is getting very frustrating i did not expected this from amd please fix it 

0 Likes
galentot
Adept I

Finally fixed this issue on my fx505dy. First, update your bios to version 309 then download both the latest CHIPSET drivers on the asus (version V25.20.14128.4002) and amd (version 19.10) page. Then download the latest rx 560x drivers on the amd page (version 19.6.1). Then I used DDU in safe mode to uninstall the amd drivers currently in my system. After reboot, I started installing the drivers I downloaded in this order: amd chipset from asus => amd chipset from amd => rx 560x driver from amd. Then I tweak it a bit with msi afterburner so that the global settings in the radeon setting would have global wattman tab present (additional tweaks gets me 15% more performance from the rx 560x, saw it from a you tube post). Haven't gotten any issues since I did all this, but I do hope both asus and amd makes a more stable driver in the near future. Hope this helps and goodluck! *results may vary*

Where could I find AMD Chipset ver 19.10?

0 Likes

In amd driver download page,choose chipset => socket FP5 => amd ryzen and Athlon => download

0 Likes
tanphat2705
Journeyman III

I'm also facing with same issue. Today, I can fix it. Before, I install driver chipset from Asus for my FX505DY (Version V25.20.14128.4002). And then I check the information of AMD graphics card driver version. Important, you can see Known Issue of the version. With version 19.5.1, we have "ASUS TUF Gaming FX505 may experience discrete GPU connection issues with devices disappearing from device manager when the system is idle". Then, I check version 19.4.3, and this version don't have that issue. So I installed 19.4.3 and it really worked. Hope this answer can help anybody get this issue.

0 Likes
santhosh
Adept I

i too had the problem and then i installed the new amd driver 19.7.1 which solved the problem even though the problem is mentioned under known issues

0 Likes

Are you sure ? 

0 Likes

I don't know, maybe sometime it happen, sometime it doesn't happen. If version 19.7.1 can fix it forever, please confirm me again, thank you. I really hope it can fix the problem forever. Because with the older version, my RX560X doesn't disappear, but i get trouble with flicker screen. So angry. 

0 Likes

I am not sure. For me, updating the driver to 19.7.1 fixed the gpu. I think that you should wait for amd to fix the issue. I don't know why it is taking so long to fix this issue.

0 Likes

Yeah, there are many many laptop in this world, but only our laptop get this problem. Hope AMD fix it for us.

0 Likes

What is your laptop BIOS version 308 or 309 , I too installed 19.7.1 version but the GPU disappears after 10-15 mins  . so irritated with this . gaming laptop has to be run without graphics card. I tried the steps mentioned from all others above too but did not work ..

0 Likes

I tried to install 19.7.1 two days ago, and it still disappear, but Release Note of this version has mentioned the problem. I uninstall 7.1 and install the version which older than 19.5.1. This problem happened from 19.5.1. I hope AMD fix it soon.

0 Likes

I contacted amd and they told me to install 19.4.1

0 Likes

Did it work??

0 Likes

Update bios to 309, the latest CHIPSET for mobile, then gpu driver for

rx560x

0 Likes

This is problem of manufacturer, this problem because of the driver of VGA. My laptop use 309 Bios version, lastest chipset driver, but lastest driver for VGA cannot fix this. This problem is mentioned in Release Note of version in AMD website. The problem only happen with FX505.

0 Likes

Bro can u tell me Acer nitro also have rx560 x GPU why it's not have this issue 

0 Likes
galentot
Adept I

The trick is to uninstall the graphics drivers first using DDU in safe mode, then install the graphics drivers available in the asus tuf fx505dy support page before doing an express install of the latest driver. Make sure to delete all previously installed drivers in the amd folder in your main drive (usually C:\Amd folder) and you've already installed the latest bios (309) and chipset (amd driver page) before installing the latest graphics drivers (19.7.1). Haven't had any problems ever since, and the laptop is usually left idle the whole day. This problem is a headache when I experienced it at first but it's totally fixable. Just wish amd and asus did more software debugging before releasing this model ‍♂️

Does this mean that amd are trying to fix the issue

0 Likes

They are, but I think at the moment they are more focused on their latest releases, the ryzen 3000s and radeon 5700s. Us tuf users just need to do what needs to be done to fix our own issues and hope everything works out in the end ‍♂️

0 Likes

Agreed.

0 Likes

Today, i uninstall all graphics driver by DDU Safe Mode, and i download AMD Setting APP on website of ASUS, and let it install for system itself, i don't use any driver of AMD website. And it really work, no dissapear, no flicker.

0 Likes

Which driver did you download form Asus?

0 Likes

On Download Center of ASUS, you find FX505DY, and choose Win 10 64bit, then find tab Utilities, click Show All, you can find AMD Radeon Setting APP - Ver 18.41. Download it and let it install the driver for system itself, don't use any driver of AMD. Remember, uninstall any graphics driver by DDU safe mode, install bios 309 and lastest driver chipset.

0 Likes

Thank you!

0 Likes

Where can I find the latest driver chipset?

0 Likes

Also on Download Center of Asus, tab Chipset, version 25.20.14150.1. From tab Utilities, roll down and you will see tab Chipset.

0 Likes