cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

mnemonic
Journeyman III

Directx 12 ultimate support for Vega 56/64

So that's the question , will Vega support directx 12 ULTIMATE ?

i'm asking because we got a lot of promises with the VEGA of which not many have transpired.

I feel cheated big time by AMD, and that for bying their expensive silver water-cooled VEGA 64 XT...

Yea , that's also why i'm not inclined to buy AMD anymore with their empty promises.

They dropped the card the moment they went on sale....where is your "fine wine" AMD ???

0 Likes
1 Solution

Seems like the only AMD GPU cards that supports DirectX 12 Ultimate are the 6000 series GPU cards or RDNA 2 GPU cards: https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/directx12

Screenshot 2021-12-27 195404.png

From Anatech Tech article: https://www.anandtech.com/show/15637/microsoft-intros-directx-12-ultimate-next-gen-feature-set

So it seems like the Vega GPU cards doesn't have the technology to use DirectX 12 Ultimate API.  Even though a game will support DirectX 12 Ultimate but it is backwards compatible with the regular DirectX 12 API. It just won't use the Ultimate GPU features.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
amdman
Challenger

You are right you should have gotten it if they did indeed promote this. Due to this I tend to buy more midrange products and stay away from cutting edge for this reason, doesn't make sense if you were sold longevity you should get it, now most companies think a long time is one year. I know the world has been advertising driven for years but it is getting so bad most corporations blatantly mislead and don't have really any integrity anymore. As you say, voting with your dollars is the power you have.

0 Likes

Seems like the only AMD GPU cards that supports DirectX 12 Ultimate are the 6000 series GPU cards or RDNA 2 GPU cards: https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/directx12

From Anatech Tech article: https://www.anandtech.com/show/15637/microsoft-intros-directx-12-ultimate-next-gen-feature-set

So it seems like the Vega GPU cards doesn't have the technology to use DirectX 12 Ultimate API.  Even though a game will support DirectX 12 Ultimate but it is backwards compatible with the regular DirectX 12 API. It just won't use the Ultimate GPU features.

0 Likes

Very confusing with DX 12 and DX 12 Ultimate, they must be scared to call it 13. I remember when I first saw that I thought that has to be on purpose to confuse consumers.

0 Likes

I guess the reason why Microsoft didn't rename it DirectX 13 instead of using DirectX 12 Ultimate is because the Ultimate is still based on the DirectX 12 API.

The Ultimate still uses all the features of DirectX 12 regular API.

The only difference is that DirectX 12 Ultimate supports the four main GPU technologies mentioned in the AMD Image.

DirectX 12 Ultimate is like the Premium version of DirectX 12 API.

Isn't DX 12 based on 11, which was based on 10, etc. Sure there are new things in each, with adding ray tracing you'd think it would get a version increase. I think you are right, but what's next, DX 12 Ultimate Uber Way Better Edition

they claim vega  has no directx ultimate because cant do ray tracing  no hardware but rx5700 has no raytrace hardware but the benchmark “neon noir” proved vega could raytrace

stevin64
Adept II

feel the same  bought an sapphire nitro+ vega 64 have had blue screen crashes black screens every driver update a whole list of problems listed  on their driver page  when they release . meaning they release drivers knowing they are bad with huge amount of issues vega cant get  resize bar or smart access memory in drivers but third party NIMEZ drivers do so what is that telling  us . that AMD does not care about it customers  another example is ryzen 5000 CPU'S not compatible with 300-400 motherboards  but when they  got to sale off stock because new gen CPU coming  its magic oh those boards will support them with bios update