cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

hardcoregames_
Big Boss

DirectX 12 Multiadapter

my page on Windows 10 is constantly being updated but I am interested in graphics

so with the DirectX 12 Multiadapter I was wondering, can I use a swarm of video cards to render games

for example, with a better motherboard and CPU, how about 4x HD 7990 cards in a row, can i scale up the graphics to super ultra

0 Likes
7 Replies
Thanny
Miniboss

Re: DirectX 12 Multiadapter

From what I've read so far, it will essentially be up to the developer to properly take advantage of that functionality.  So it will probably be a good year before your question can be properly answered.

0 Likes

If that soon. Games still aren't using more than a couple of threads properly despite quad core having been out for nearly 10 years in the home market.

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

I have used the task manager to watch my CPU as well as MSI Afterburner, my CPU is not saturated, not even close to it. So this makes me wonder if I should get a bigger PSU and snag a swarm of dual GPU cards. Especially if I want to indulge in 3820x2160 panels.

prices for the HD 7990 are becoming more affordable, which is on the radar for extreme gaming if DX12 can leverage them

0 Likes

Why would you do that when the R9 495x2 (if AMD continues the naming scheme) next year will feature HBM2 and be manufactured on FinFET?

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

Funding for a swarm of R9 495x2 cards would exceed my available funds. The much more affordable HD 7990 are air cooled which is also desirable as it means less expense for a different chassis etc

I am concerned however about dual GPU card durability but the overall performance gains with a swarm of 2-3 dual GPU cards would deliver over 15 TFLOPS

0 Likes

Why would you need more than one? Bitcoin mining is dead, and you're not running a HPC.

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

I play games a lot, and the way games are going I could use all the muscle available

Halo is how many years old, and it still loads my video cards pretty hard

0 Likes