• Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • ASROCK b450 Gaming-ITX/ac - bios P3.20
  • CPU/APU
    • AMD Ryzen 7 2700
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • SilverStone Technology 450W SFX
  • RAM
    • Patriot Viper Elite Series DDR4 32GB (2x16GB) 2666MHz

So just like everyone else I have be having problems with the freaking wattman error that restarts my drivers killing either my realtime work (game art) or forcing me to complete restart my PC and lose all my work.

I had previously purchased an RX 580 seeing that some people with a 450W and checking on PC part picker was saying that it would run just fine. I began having the wattman error, and then troubleshooted every possible manner that was out there that I could do. because no I do not have access to another system to test the card on so I had to deal with what I had. I did updated windows, I did updated bios, I checked for any errors with my RAM. I used DDU in safe mode to have a clean install of AMD drivers. I even reformatted my hard drives and reinstalled windows. AND IT STILL HAPPENED!! I do not mess with OC I just run the cards as default as they came.

so I wend through MSI and AMD and both gave me the same answer well maybe its the card lets RMA, I dont have time or money to RMA this is my work machine.

if I am out for 3 weeks without my PC i can not work hence not make money to provide for my family.

So I ended up returning it for a refund from where I purchased it and decided to go with the model lower RX 570 since that is rated for a 450W PSU and just like the RX 580 it is doing the same damn thing and getting the wattman error. and its at random at time I think i finally cracked the code and solved the issue and right when I think that it happens at random, could be 5 minutes could be 2 hours. all I know is it impeding on my work and I need to get it fixed.

Does anyone have any Idea how to fix this issue?

this 2 cards were my first time going with AMD because I used to be an nvidia guy, and its leaving a very sour taste in my mouth and really tempted when I have the funds to go back. because right now my PC is basically a giant freaking paper weight until I can use it to do my work.

0 Likes
3 Replies
breimeister
Adept II

I have the Radeon 5700 XT Gold edition and I just did a clean install of my Windows 10 PRO system.  Every time I start my system I get this notifcation that Wattman setting have been restored because of an unexpected system failure.  I don't call a shut down of my system a  system failure.

0 Likes
frodofreeman
Adept I

Win 10 64-bit (1903 June 2019 update)

Radeon HD 7950 OC (1000Mhz) Gigabyte

Intel i7 3770k 3.5GHz

ASUS P8Z77-VPro motherboard

850w OCZ PSU

8GB RAM

Hi, I'm hoping the OP reads this as I had the same problem but it seems to be fixed once I reverted driver back to 16.6.1 (the last driver before radeon wattman introduced with 16.6.2 in 2016).  You can still download the driver from AMD via google search.  I tried various driver versions none of which solved it (19.5.2, 17.7.1, 18 etc.).  So I thought how do I eradicate wattman completely?  Only way is with the 2016 driver!  I didn't bother with DDU, just the AMD cleanup/uninstall option, then rebooted and then installed the 16.6.1 driver.  I don't know if it would work though on your card as mine is a HD 7950 OC several years old.  But could be worth trying?  At least I am finally rid of that horrible "default wattman settings have been restored" message .  Only trouble is I'm now missing all the updates since this old driver was released so goodness knows what other problems I might now get with newer games.  But older games will hopefully be ok.

I don't think wattman even works with the GCN 1 cards so I don't know why I was even getting that message.  Can AMD answer this? Thanks

0 Likes