cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

schtrudel81
Adept I

Dedicated AMD Radeon r7 GPU doesnt work - integrated card in use whole time...

Jump to solution

Im using a HP Pavilion laptop. Got a problem with a dedicated GPU which is never in use. Performance in every game is so poor and frustrating. I do know there is also problem with lack of memory but still games should use in my oppinion processing power of dedicated GPU in my case AMD Radeon r7. Is there a way to make dedicated GPU work as primary or any way activable?! As i saw i'm not the only one with such problem - curious thogh if anyone found a solution.

Got everything updated and latest drivers + latest BIOS.

https://prnt.sc/wnspfo

https://prnt.sc/wnsqrb

https://prnt.sc/wnswwt

 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kingfish
MVP

Re: Dedicated AMD Radeon r7 GPU doesnt work - integrated card in use whole time...

Jump to solution
Yes...that's why I keep asking 'how are you applying the high performance card".

View solution in original post

0 Likes
18 Replies
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Re: Dedicated AMD Radeon r7 GPU doesnt work - integrated card in use whole time...

Jump to solution

That will always be poor and frustrating to game on. The best you can do is get the RAM to 8GB and switch to an SSD hard drive. See how that works. You can clean install Windows from a USB using the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft and only install what you need for the WiFi to work, grab the latest AMD drivers, leave the "bloatware" out. disable all back round apps but Windows Security, disable all services not in use in Windows "Services". That will pick you up almost twice the performance but that unit is just not a good one for gaming. 

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes
schtrudel81
Adept I

Re: Dedicated AMD Radeon r7 GPU doesnt work - integrated card in use whole time...

Jump to solution

@mackbolan777 wrote:

That will always be poor and frustrating to game on. The best you can do is get the RAM to 8GB and switch to an SSD hard drive. See how that works. You can clean install Windows from a USB using the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft and only install what you need for the WiFi to work, grab the latest AMD drivers, leave the "bloatware" out. disable all back round apps but Windows Security, disable all services not in use in Windows "Services". That will pick you up almost twice the performance but that unit is just not a good one for gaming. 


Hey thank 4 reply.. i'm well aware of laptops performance lack and its reasons (also plans for upgrade in motion) BUT IF i can't even watch youtube videos, if basic essential functions don't work without stuttering (writing this reply 4 exc) there is something very wrong. Well i'm 100% sure i will NEVER EVER touch nothing with AMD sticker on, if there is no solution AMD devs SHOULD provide! Pointing on others reminds me on politics - noone is ever responsible for anything and everything they can do is legaly steal or / and do nothing. 

Even if this is no top notch rig it still SHOULD provide decent experience with basics and at least in some older games..

Youtube should work at least wouldnt you agree?

https://prnt.sc/wq69gm

0 Likes
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Re: Dedicated AMD Radeon r7 GPU doesnt work - integrated card in use whole time...

Jump to solution

Leaving politics out of this, it doesn't belong in this forum, period. I suggest trying some basic things like turning off back round apps. Make sure your drivers are up to date, YouTube was a sore spot for one of the AMD drivers. Remember it's an HP with AMD parts, so be mad at HP. They have a bad habit of putting tons of "bloatware" on their laptops. so I would uninstall every HP app on that. They also put in the dumbest HDD, a wimpy 5400 RPM HDD vs. even a cheap SSD given the weak performance the unit will already have. Then they really kill ya with only 4GB RAM. So, HP is the bad deal, not AMD per se. Lenovo is the same way but cost more. Every laptop I bought the first thing I did was uninstall every manufacturer app they put on, every bundled game (even Solitaire), and turn off all back round apps but Windows Security. Pretty much all laptops in the $400-500 or less range suck out of the box. My Lenovo 320 is a prime example of needing to switch to an SSD and change to 8GB RAM with a fresh install of Windows to make it work half decent. It's all up to who makes the laptop and not so much the hardware. 

FYI, I've tried both Intel/AMD low end-mid-range laptops and they both perform equally as poor before doing a few upgrades. An Intel will be just as much a hassle if not more because they have really limited graphics power without a dedicated GPU found on more expensive, gaming laptops.

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes
schtrudel81
Adept I

Re: Dedicated AMD Radeon r7 GPU doesnt work - integrated card in use whole time...

Jump to solution

@mackbolan777 wrote:

Leaving politics out of this, it doesn't belong in this forum, period. I suggest trying some basic things like turning off back round apps. Make sure your drivers are up to date, YouTube was a sore spot for one of the AMD drivers. Remember it's an HP with AMD parts, so be mad at HP. They have a bad habit of putting tons of "bloatware" on their laptops. so I would uninstall every HP app on that. They also put in the dumbest HDD, a wimpy 5400 RPM HDD vs. even a cheap SSD given the weak performance the unit will already have. Then they really kill ya with only 4GB RAM. So, HP is the bad deal, not AMD per se. Lenovo is the same way but cost more. Every laptop I bought the first thing I did was uninstall every manufacturer app they put on, every bundled game (even Solitaire), and turn off all back round apps but Windows Security. Pretty much all laptops in the $400-500 or less range suck out of the box. My Lenovo 320 is a prime example of needing to switch to an SSD and change to 8GB RAM with a fresh install of Windows to make it work half decent. It's all up to who makes the laptop and not so much the hardware. 

FYI, I've tried both Intel/AMD low end-mid-range laptops and they both perform equally as poor before doing a few upgrades. An Intel will be just as much a hassle if not more because they have really limited graphics power without a dedicated GPU found on more expensive, gaming laptops.


Ok i accept your point of view, you have a point. If this is so i'll never touch anything named HP, Lenovo or similar crap then ;). Will try what you said. Greetings! 

schtrudel81
Adept I

Re: Dedicated AMD Radeon r7 GPU doesnt work - integrated card in use whole time...

Jump to solution

I really dont know if im so complicated and dumb BUT if i compare this HP laptop to a similar  DELL laptopthey both had similar problems. I did manage to make DELL Inspiron 5567 work tho. How do i know that and how do i know there is a problem on HP?! Bloatware or no bloatware there is AMD Adrenalin app now where there is section where you can choose GPU1 or GPU2. With latest drivers i managed to make Dell work with selecting GPU2 (dedicated graphic procesor r7 440) which remains selected whole time! Despite every effort i did not manage to make HP laptop work though! Meaning installing fresh drivers and everything, running adrenalin app and TRYING to select dedicated GPU - which can't be activated for some reason i would really want to know what it is and how to fix it.. i hope i gave more insight with this info.. please try to find some solution if you can. Would really appreciate! Thank you.

0 Likes
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Re: Dedicated AMD Radeon r7 GPU doesnt work - integrated card in use whole time...

Jump to solution

If you tried it on the Dell , same specs and it lets you select the dedicated vs. the ICPU or onboard graphics and the HP doesn't, then you need to ask HP. I bought a brand new HP model 14 with a Celeron whatever and soldered in EMMC 64GB HDD and they forgot to put in the SD card reader. The hole was there, the driver was there. I opened it up post warranty for the thing failing to boot, thinking they might fix that too, nope, still missing. Perhaps the dedicated GPU is missing. I'd reach out to HP.

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

Re: Dedicated AMD Radeon r7 GPU doesnt work - integrated card in use whole time...

Jump to solution

How are you choosing the high performance gpu? > Please read: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-110

The high performance mode can be set for 3D applications only. No web surfing or OGL applications with the discrete card.

Look in Device Manager...display/..any yellow error marks?

mackbolan777
Forerunner

Re: Dedicated AMD Radeon r7 GPU doesnt work - integrated card in use whole time...

Jump to solution

Or the card is missing, like my SD reader was, lol. The device manager even showed it as there, physically it was not. Only HP... 

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes
schtrudel81
Adept I

Re: Dedicated AMD Radeon r7 GPU doesnt work - integrated card in use whole time...

Jump to solution

 


@mackbolan777 wrote:

Or the card is missing, like my SD reader was, lol. The device manager even showed it as there, physically it was not. Only HP... 


Honestly i did think of that to but that seemed so unlikely. How would i know if its phisicaly missing? Only by dissasembling laptop? It's as you said showing me there is dedi gpu, installed drivers and everything only actual selection and use is well nonexisting. 

0 Likes