cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

nyichiban
Adept I

crossfire not working

New build but crossfire not working and only 1 card shows up in device manager. 

Build Info:

Ryzen 5 2400G

Windows 10 Pro 1809

Gigabyte RX580 x 2

16GB DDR4 3000 g.skill

ASUS STRIX B450

Mushkin 250GB SSD

Seasonic 650W PSU

Installed both cards and installed windows. It installed and showed the VEGA on the CPU and only 1 RX 580 when there were 2 installed. Any ideas? In BIOS the PCI slot is set to auto but has option for GEN 1, 2, 3. 

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
12 Replies

Because you only have 1 PCIe 3.0 x8 slot and 1 PCIe 2.0 x4 (or slower) slot. That is incompatible with a Crossfire setup.

Thanks for this but actually it's the slots that it is in. Crossfire would work if I put it in pcie16_1 and pcie16_3 but the third slot is blocked because of the case being too small to fit it. Fixed it by ordering the ryzen 1st Gen so they could go into 16_1 and 16_2.

0 Likes

That didn't really "fix" it because you'll be limited to x8/x4, not every DirectX 11 game supports Crossfire, and not every DirectX 12 and Vulkan game supports multiple GPUs. Also, not every game will have perfect scaling, with performance increases varying between 0 and 100%. I hope you have done your research into this.

Agreed! Plus.... 

Less than 3 percent of gamers use crossfire or sli. The game support is abysmal. The driver support very questionable in the last year plus. It is abandoned in DX 12. Very few DX 12 games support multi GPU and many have already said they don't intend to as it is more trouble than it is worth.  The smart thing to do is buy a single card solution to meet your needs. 

There are certain games if not more than a handful that actually benefits from sli or crossfire. Some games won't work I know but for some of the older games I still play it works quite well so why not get the added performance right? In case you are wondering it's division, rise of the tomb raider and shadow of Mordor. So does crossfire help for me? Yup and that's all that matters. 

0 Likes

there are games. not many in the overall scheme of things. most are old and most will run at plenty of speed on a single RX 580. you are welcome to spend your money however you like. just realize you bought into a dead idea. maybe it comes back around again in DX12 but with most AAA titles already in development for the next couple years not mentioning support for multi gpu or sli, if and when it happens you would be ready for another card anyway. if you have a couple games it meets your needs that is awesome, but also why you are among that 3% of gamers too.

This is the crossfire compatibility list. This doesn't mean that every driver supports them either. Many find they have to use one driver for a certain game to work and another with another game. That is the caveat of crossfire to begin with.   Crossfire Game Compatibility List | AMD Crossfire Wikia | FANDOM powered by Wikia 

0 Likes

So is being 3% of gamers bad? My needs are different from others. I so happened to get an extra rx580 that was used and bought a new one so why not crossfire them as I had done when I had my 290x? pokester‌ I don't feel at all like you are trying to help instead you are in some way judging the fact that I'm in the 3% of gamers that do crossfire and also that I bought into a dead idea. It's not a dead idea if the games I play actually benefits from crossfire no? Honestly I was looking for help and not looking for an attack on my choices. Hopefully some moderator would see it as such as well. 

0 Likes

There isn't anything any of us can do to help or hinder. These are user to user forums only. None of us control or have influence over the drivers. I'm only stating facts. I already said if it meets your needs that is great. Even it's its prime it was a niche product that had limited support and we are years removed from that being the case. For most they have moved on and that include the most important part GAME DEVELOPERS. Sorry if the truth hurts, nobody is trying to stop you from pursuing a better experience. Just offering a reality check that one might not exist. I absolutely hope you get it working to your satisfaction. You might have a better understanding of the current sentiment had you read the plentiful threads in these forums regarding the state of crossfire in the past couple of years. Not to mention nearly every 3d tech site gives the exact same opinion and advice when it comes to multiple GPU's and has for many years. Nobody attacked your choices.

0 Likes

pokester‌ you did attack my choice. Rather than say hey great you got it working you tacked on to black_zion's half answer half insult instead of providing anything helpful. Look at my original question and look at your replies. Nothing at all about them were to solve my issue which was crossfire not working. Instead you mention that:

-Crossfire is a dead tech that I bought into.

-I'm part of the 3% of gamers that use crossfire and SLI

-Only old games work with crossfire and SLI

That's all great and all but any part of what you wrote actually helped in answering my question? No. It was more like saying great you got crossfire but you know it's a dead tech and no new games support it? My point is I had an extra card and wanted crossfire since the older games I play supports it. Plain and simple. Did not need you to tack on knowledge I already know but you assumed I didn't and questioned "why are you among that 3% of gamers too." 

I'm not sure why you don't see that your replies were attacks and it did not in anyway help with the question I had. If you can't see that then I don't know, maybe you are just too into your own knowledge?

0 Likes

No they were not attacks they were information that you don't want and you are the one who came looking for help. Nobody here knows what your do or don't already know. All the assumptions are yours not mine or anyone else helping you. As I said already there is no help to be had. Crossfire only gets worse from here. It either meets your needs as-is or it does not. If you have issue with that, it is nobodies problem but your own. It has always been a niche market and you are by far the first person that didn't appreciate the advice. Can't please everyone. 

0 Likes

Well it does fix it because now 2 cards will show up and I can enable crossfire. Yes I understand about the performance gains in crossfire. I happened to have 2 580s so wanted to crossfire them as I only have 1 system not 2. So why not? Otherwise it would have been 1 system with 1 card and an extra 580 just sitting there which would have been more of a waste. 

0 Likes

In many games you still will have one card just sitting there doing nothing, or you can even have performance lower than a single card, either due to negative scaling or the fact that the top card will throttle due to overheating from restricted airflow as the second card will be so close. We were just trying to warn you before you invested more money that it's not worth it, so enhance your calm by about 50 points. You could have found out about the slot issue by just looking at your motherboard specs, but instead you came to a user to user forum, and you will get user opinions when you do that.