cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Tcll
Adept I

crimson R9390 driver won't install (x server is too new)

To boil it down, my X server version is 1.20.10, but the latest required by the official download (*.run file) is 1.10

Is there a newer driver that supports my R9390 Strix??
(or at least some other solution that can render this GPU as more than a glorified paper weight)

For extra info, my linux installation is Void Linux 20191109 (xbps-install -Suv).

0 Likes
1 Solution

If you are aware of this information then I apologize.

This VOIDLinux.org concerning AMD/ATI Graphic drivers: https://docs.voidlinux.org/config/graphical-session/graphics-drivers/amd.htmlScreenshot 2021-01-02 135909.png

Concerning X.org in VOID Linux: https://docs.voidlinux.org/config/graphical-session/xorg.html

Here is AMDGPU-PRO latest driver Release Notes: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-amdgpu-unified-linux-20-40

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies

If you are aware of this information then I apologize.

This VOIDLinux.org concerning AMD/ATI Graphic drivers: https://docs.voidlinux.org/config/graphical-session/graphics-drivers/amd.htmlScreenshot 2021-01-02 135909.png

Concerning X.org in VOID Linux: https://docs.voidlinux.org/config/graphical-session/xorg.html

Here is AMDGPU-PRO latest driver Release Notes: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-amdgpu-unified-linux-20-40

0 Likes

Sorry, I probably should've been more specific on what I'd previously tried, yes I have followed that and just about everything there was already installed, just my GPU doesn't seem to be detected.

but yeah, I'll give the latest driver a try if you recommend it for getting my R9390 going.

EDIT: oh I found where you got the info for the 20.40 driver
I downloaded from Linux x86_64 (the outdated 15.12 binary), not from SLES/SLED (SuSE)

I don't use any of the distros you have packages for, I need the generic Linux x86_64 binary

0 Likes

Update!
Apparently the nvidia GPU I also had installed was causing it to not work... I was expecting to have at least some control, but I can't even find anything with the nvidia GPU removed... though yes it does actually work and I can somewhat configure it with the Display settings of XFCE...

this isn't how I intend to work though as I only have a single HDMI port I can work from... giving me 1 out of 2 monitors I was previously using...

now I just need to figure out how to configure it to use both GPUs... the void docs aren't detailed enough to help me from here, I don't seem to have a GUI I can work with... for my strix...
but it's good to know both GPUs actually do work, that was quite a scare. :D

weird though how I have absolutely nothing shown to me about it, I was expecting something similar to Nvidia X Server Settings to appear...

I should probably also mention this is my first time using an AMD card...

... soooo I guess the R9390 drivers won't install then because they don't need to be installed... heh

ok, so, how would I go about configuring this thing??

every time I've tried to configure xorg.conf without going through nvidia always ended up in me running into a huge lack of info...
either it's a bunch of overwhelming ambiguous things about devices and options I'm given no insight on putting together, or it's a bunch of forums with info that almost fits what I need and doesn't actually work for me...

or in other words, information that only benefits the driver developers for reference, if not niche cases that don't pertain to me...

where's there a good reference someone like me can build a good xorg.conf with that will allow me to use both GPUs??
(ultimately I want to use both monitors on my strix when I have a DP to VGA adapter and use my nvidia for rendering)
^ then I can customize rendering profiles to what I want rendered locally vs my nvidia (or future) GPU...

EDIT: btw I can't use my nvidia GPU for both monitors either
I have an HDMI monitor and a VGA monitor, my nvidia has 1 HDMI port as well, and I have a HDMI to VGA adapter
plus I'd prefer not to use my nvidia despite it being more powerful as I have a use case for the weaker strix

the only last thing I need to do is configure my 1280x1024 VGA monitor to a 1600x1200 resolution to make it rougly fit my HDMI monitor.

EDIT2: aaand on an even weirder note, I plugged my nvidia back in, and now nvidia-settings won't allow me to configure X at all while my strix still works...
uh, a wise guy huh Linux, I see how it is
lol Void Linux really has a mind of it's own sometimes...

After pondering on it a bit, I think I'm gonna mark your recommendation as the solution since doing that (following the void docs) ultimately did get things working (after removing and reinstalling the nvidia GPU).

I'll instead post another more appropriate question about controlling the AMD GPU where proper :)

Thanks for the help there, as that was indeed the solution. ;)

I didn't realize you were using both a AMD and Nvidia GPU Card on the same system. That was a very important fact you left out.

I don't believe you can install both AMD and Nvidia drivers at the same time, at least, in Windows OS. 

I am sure there are workarounds to where you can do that specific configuration (AMD & Nvidia GPU cards in the same computer) but I suggest you google it to find out. I know very little about Linux OS.

Anyways, Glad to hear that both GPU cards are recognized and will work separately. I hope you find a workaround to using both at the same time.

Take care.

EDIT: You can always open a thread at the VOID LInux link I posted or go to one of the best LInux Forums around and post your question there.

The Linux site is call Phoronix.com from here: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/linux-graphics-x-org-drivers/amd-linux

thanks for the recommendations, I won't use Reddit myself, and Phoronix tends to repel me, though I might create an account there if urged. ;)

but yes you can absolutely use multiple AMD (any amount afaik) + Nvidia (up to 8) GPUs on linux, though it can be quite a pain depending on what GPUs are used.
AMD GPUs tend to have better support from what I hear (less deprecation), though Nvidia has better usability.

and yeah I'd actually left out nvidia because I wanted to avoid the topic being dropped with no help given, as I've seen and experienced numerous times from the linux community. :)
please don't take offense at my actions, it's just what I've come to expect. ;)
(tbh I was hoping to not have to mention it at all and just deal with the issues as they come to hopefully get something done, but Void threw me a curve ball and I wasn't expecting strictly terminal with very few tools)

that said though, I've already created a new thread earlier today, so if that can't be solved I'll try and see what else I can accomplish before phoronix.
thanks again for the recommendations ;D

Many Users here at AMD Forums have Nvidia GPU cards including myself.  There have been several threads in the past concerning using AMD and Nvidia GPU cards in the same computer. My first 2 High Quality GPU cards were AMD before going to Nvidia.

Which is why it is important to mention that in the future.  I am sure there are many Linux Users in the same boat as you are trying to use both AMD and Nvidia GPU cards at the same time either using it in a Windows or Linux OS environment.

Whenever I visited  Phoronix for help in trying to help other Linux Users they seemed to be fairly thorough and knowledgeable about AMD drivers for Linux.

But probably your best best is to go to VOID LINUX Forum and post your question there since it specific to your Linux version. 

Are you using this in a Server type environment by any chance?  Or is the program you are using normally for Developers or servers?

If it is there are two AMD Forum that might be more applicable like AMD SERVERS GURU Forum and AMD DEVELOPER"S FORUM.  Those are for the more technical minded Users or Developers/Programmers.

If interested I will post the links to both if you believe it applies to you.

By the way, I didn't take any offense at all. You seemed to be a Professional by your answers.

thanks for easing things up a bit

and no, what I'm doing is building a gaming workstation for development and simulation,
as well as a few other things potentially involving networking and security...
I'm not really a big server fan honestly :)
(though a TR4 64-core U-ATX workstaton motherboard with 10 PCIex16 slots and 4 NVMe slots on a lane-aggregated chipset, and 16 DIMM slots would certainly satisfy me)
^ let's not forget pairing that with MRAM SSDs for active storage that won't die like NAND

and also no, I'm not a professional XD
I've just had to pry out knowledge to figure out what I know (including reverse engineering)
though I was trying to tread carefully :)

xorg is one of those things I have very little knowledge about
though I'm learning how xorg itself works as I'm building an xlib python extension for a few programs I'm working on...
(I'm tapping into xorg itself, similar to what I've done with user32+gdi32, for creating my own app windows while keeping things portable)
xorg.conf however is still beyond me

if you'd like to know the extent of my knowledge:

Spoiler

I've basically transformed 4 portable anaconda interpreters to run strictly on 17-18 C-modules, and have written my own ctypes port called cbin (pulled from GitLab after a prior incident they made, but will put back up eventually when it's more complete)...
as well as have ported freetype, glfw, a few windows DLLs (user32, gdi32, etc.), and am currently working on xorg and GL
other things I've worked on involve a single-file port of watchdog into it's base components, my own performance comparison utility, a small metaclass that gives python truly private attributes for both classes and instances, and a password generator...

why do I make my own ports of well-established python modules?
everything else either isn't portable, or doesn't perform well, and their code is also quite disgusting.

... so yeah, I may seem a bit pro from that knowledge, but I promise I'm still just a noob. XD

0 Likes

Great,

If you should have any problems you might want to ask at AMD Developer's Forum which sounds like the applicable Forum which is up your alley.

You need to start here first to get access or "Whitelisted" to the various Developer's Forums: https://community.amd.com/t5/newcomers-start-here/bd-p/newcomer-forum

You can browse the various Forums to see if any is applicable to your project.

Good luck on your project. But this is as far I can go since this something out of my league.

Take care.

oh I didn't mean I'd be developing for AMD or anything like that, I was just trying to give insight :)
thanks though, and maybe in the future when/if I'm not so loaded with projects. XD

but anyways, as stated earlier, I've already asked about how to build an xorg.conf before you recommended me phoronix ;)
Void doesn't exactly have a forum, or I'd've created an account on it

that thread is here if you're curious
https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/need-a-reference-for-configuring-xorg-conf/m-p/435998#...
if I can't get anywhere here (including StackExchange), I might give phoronix a go. ;)
but we'll see

thanks again for all your help! ;D

0 Likes

I am sorry you misunderstood what AMD Developer's forum is about.  It isn't that you develop projects for AMD but for you to get help from other Users/Professionals like yourself who might be having problems with a certain software or hardware.

It is a User to User forum like the regular AMD Forums but for more technical issues like when a Developer/Programmer is having problems  with a software or hardware he is using.

That is why I recommended it to you. It is possible someone there might have knowledge about VOID Linux and X.org. At the link I posted previously, when you post your question, the Moderator will decide if it is applicable for the Developer's Forum and which Developer's Forum it should be posted in.

Yes, Stack Exchange is a very good Tech site to go to. They have some excellent articles about hardware and software that I have read in the past.

ooooh, alright, thank you :)
yeah I definitely misunderstood XD

I'll see if I can get a mod to move my 2nd thread to that section. ;)
0 Likes