cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

kaiserarm
Adept I

Crashing when enabling mgpu on 6900xt sapphire special edition. Please help.

specs: 

3990x threadripper

256gb gskill trident x neo rgb 

two 6900xt sapphire special edition. 

The first time it boot after i built the rig it was fine. subsequent boot crashes the pc few seconds upon entering win 11. Also why raytracing is turned off when I enabled the mgpu on gpuz.

1 Solution

Skipping a PCIE slot for crossfire will depend on 2 things.

1. The size of the GPU's can obstruct a nearby expansion slot

2. If your MOBO will recognize the second card as the discrete card or you may need to seek advice from the MOBO manufacturer on how to setup crossfire with that arrangement. 

3. I've only done crossfire up to the RX 590 though beefy sizeable GPU they aren't anything like the big GPU's

MY build 

OS Windows 10 Pro 64 Version 21H2

MOBO MSI X370 M7 ACK

CPU Ryzen 7 2700x at 4.2GHz with MSI Pro Gaming G Series dual 135mm fan 200 watt TDP air cooler

GPU Power Color Demon RX 6900 XT

RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum (4x8) 32GB PC3200

SSD Samsung SATA 3 870 EVO V NANO 4TB

PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 80+ Gold 1200 watt

Tower Thermaltake Kandalf Super Tower 

Must say that's a good looking rig you should enter into rig of the month contest. Pretty sweet prizes.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

Ran a lot of dual AMD GPU crossfire setups in my day.

Sometimes you have to factory reset/clean install the drivers/software to get them to communicate.

Also does your MOBO Support Crossfire.

Check your BIOS settings some MOBO's require that you manually set the PCIE x 16 slots from the primary at x16 to the primary and discrete at x8 and x8.

Make sure to save changes and reboot when performing new BIOS configurations.

You may need to update your MOBO BIOS as well to support the multi GPU setup especially with such late model/newer cards.

Check windows update ensure you are on the latest version and have the latest .Net Framework.

A clear CMOS could help.

A command Prompt run as admin sfc /scannow will check your OS for any corruptions or missing files and repair them. Always restart PC after this function has completed.

A command prompt run as admin CHKDSK C:/f will do a fast check of your storage devices for any errors and attempt to repair them. Note this will ask you a yes/no question to proceed and will only happen upon PC restart if you select y for yes.

Also try swapping your GPU's slots sometimes this helps.

If your GPU's have more than 1 HDMI output try different ports.

Also make sure under custom tuning in Adrenaline that your Primary and Discrete GPU fan control options are not set to zero RPM ( would advise setting them manually to 60 to 75%) as you could be facing thermal issues. These big boy cards heat up fast. AMD Adrenaline/Global Wattman has the Zero Fan RPM setting as default which is something AMD seriously needs to get rid of.

0 Likes

My mobo is asus zenith ii extreme alpha. this is the top of line mobo for threadripper 3990x 64 core cpu and yes it supports sli and crossfire. 

yes i ddu my old 3090 rtx and installed radeon software for win 11 and win 10. both os crash trying to cf these. 

Bios is the latest with win11 tpm2.0  support

oh yes i havent updated windows yet, ok ill try swapping gpu seating. also I skipped one slot... dont want the top card to fry. see  the build picture theres is slot unused under the first card. 

buil would that affect the behavior?273025893_10159475128058614_6463536823282429263_n.jpg273030763_10159474791428614_169116170570715788_n.jpg

when it crashes the only way to recover and not see black screen is to reset cmos. yes ive reset cmos. 

Skipping a PCIE slot for crossfire will depend on 2 things.

1. The size of the GPU's can obstruct a nearby expansion slot

2. If your MOBO will recognize the second card as the discrete card or you may need to seek advice from the MOBO manufacturer on how to setup crossfire with that arrangement. 

3. I've only done crossfire up to the RX 590 though beefy sizeable GPU they aren't anything like the big GPU's

MY build 

OS Windows 10 Pro 64 Version 21H2

MOBO MSI X370 M7 ACK

CPU Ryzen 7 2700x at 4.2GHz with MSI Pro Gaming G Series dual 135mm fan 200 watt TDP air cooler

GPU Power Color Demon RX 6900 XT

RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum (4x8) 32GB PC3200

SSD Samsung SATA 3 870 EVO V NANO 4TB

PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 80+ Gold 1200 watt

Tower Thermaltake Kandalf Super Tower 

Must say that's a good looking rig you should enter into rig of the month contest. Pretty sweet prizes.

0 Likes