cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

aleggsxu
Journeyman III

Constant crashing on RX 5700, even after driver update

I'm having constant crashes after installing drivers for my RX 5700. Typically, what happens is that my monitor will flash static for a brief moment, and then the display will shut down and my computer will reboot. I've isolated this as a GPU issue, either hardware or driver, but I can't figure out how to solve it. 19.7.1 and 19.7.2 have resulted in the same problem. It happens everywhere - just sitting in desktop can cause crashes.

I'm really bummed- it's almost been two weeks since I bought this graphics card, and I'm tempted to return it and go buy a Super or something instead, which is a damn shame considering how good the performance on this was when my computer successfully ran one benchmark without crashing.

Here are some of the things I've done to try to solve this problem:

1. Changed motherboard
  2. Changed PSU
  3. Wiped drive and reinstalled Windows 10
  4. Used DDU to uninstall and reinstall drivers
  5. Examined voltage/wattage with Kill a Watt meter- it appears, even under load, that the 5700 just doesn't seem to pull power from the PSU at all. Never went above 120w.
  6. Used an old RX 580, no problems whatsoever.

System Specs:

• Ryzen 5 3600
  • Asrock Fatal1ty B450 ITX
  • Corsair LPX CL15 3000MHz
  • EVGA GM650W PSU
  • Sapphire RX5700
  • Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
7 Replies
patent122
Adept II

These cards have so many issues it's hard to say when it's driver related and when GPU is just faulty. For me Black Ops 4 will cause driver crash which will result in static windows and finally black screen... Everytime when playing the game...
I also tried everything to fix this but nothing worked...

morrison
Adept I

I have the same problem here.

Specs:

- Ryzen 5 3600 (Also)

Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI (Also Mini ITX)

- memory G.Skill Ripjaws 3200 MHz CL16

- MSI RX5700

- Corsair SF450 

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

System reboot when i want instal AMD Adrenalin 19.7.2 drivers always, and reboot in random moments (also with flash static) without any wattage load.

I try:

- check power supply (on the full load on this platform and GPU) and works good

- Reinstall Windows 10

- Check this platform on another GPU (Nvidia GTS 450 and works good)

sj-farrell
Adept I

I'm having the same issue. The most frustrating thing i: on the odd occasion, it does work as intended and you can see the potential of the card (really good). My old 1060 GTX never missed a beat over two years. I'm returning this garbage and buying a 2060 GTX instead.

0 Likes
saywhut
Challenger

Yeah dude, it sounds like you did all the troubleshooting already, the only thing really to 100% confirm you have a faulty card is test it in another system see if you have the same issue then.

Apart from that, DOA happens and/or hardware fails at any given time.  I definitely feel your pain and hope you get it resolved soon.

morrison
Adept I

What case do you have? Because i have node 202 and i think the problem can be in PCIE extender. In the end new Radeons have PCIE 4.0 support. In my case in ATX motherboard this GPU works but on mini ITX on node 202 have same problem as you. 

0 Likes

I use a vertical GPU mount with a PCIE extender, so first thing I did when I started having problems was remove that out of the equation and it didn't make a difference. 

There is talk that if you are using a 570 motherboard with PCIE 4.0 that you should not use a PCIE extender with the slot configured to PCIE 4.0 as the extender cables are not rated for PCIE 4.0 but shouldn't make a difference on PCIE 3.0.

This is 100% driver related IMO.

morrison
Adept I

Ok i found an answer. It was PCIE 4.0 problem. It was on BIOS default set on auto (auto choise PCIE standart) i change that for PCIE 3.0 and it works on my mini itx.

Maybe GPU and motherboard want work on standard PCIE 4.0 but PCIE extender (in case fractal node 202) cannot allow them to that. Or maybe this motherboard cannot move on PCIE 4.0 even BIOS allow to. 

Anyway it works on PCIE 3.0

0 Likes