cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

tokyoham
Journeyman III

Constant 5700XT crashing - any solutions?

So I've been having tons of problems with my Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT since I got it in March; I keep hoping that it'll be fixed with newer drivers but it still crashes all of the time, including on the new (20.7.1) drivers I just safe-mode DDU'd and installed today.

Basically, the card times out while playing games; anywhere from several minutes to 2-3 hours into a gaming session, the screen will go blank and that's it. Usually I have to reboot to regain control of the system. Crash logs always say that either amdkmdag.sys timed out (when using regular drivers) or watchdog.sys reported: VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED (when I use the "pro" drivers). The games this happens on regularly are Fortnite (both using DX11 and DX12), Forza Horizon 4, and occasionally Farcry 5 (Steam version). I’m running at stock speeds on everything, I have three Noctua 140mm fans and one 120mm fan for cooling, so my temps are fine (no more than 60-80°C, MAX, under load). PSU is a Corsair rm750x (with two separate cables feeding my 5700XT) ...

Troubleshooting steps taken (in no particular order):

1. Disabled all “extra” card features (FreeSync, RadeonChill, in-game overlay, etc)

2. Updated chipset drivers, BIOS, etc

3. Switched between XMP1, XMP2, and XMP off

4. Manually decreased RAM clock speeds from 3200MHz @ 1.35V to 2600MHz @1.35V
  5. Increased fan speeds (it’s not a cooling issue, but just in case)

6. Safe Mode DDU’d previous drivers (have tried every WHQL and beta driver released, since March 2020)

7. Used “reset driver” option when installing new drivers

8. Reinstalled Windows, then installed only video card drivers, chipset drivers, and games

9. Switched from performance vBIOS to silent, and back. (I don't use the software-controlled vBIOS setting because I haven't installed the Sapphire software again, since wiping my drive and re-installing Windows - I'm trying to keep it as bare-boned as possible, to rule out software conflicts.)

10. Installed Radeon drivers ONLY (no dashboard/interface)

11. Switched from DP to HDMI

12. Disabled all power-saving functions for PCIe slot
  13. Turned off Win10's 'game mode'
  14. Safe-mode DDU'd previous drivers, installed new drivers with "Standard" preset selected, rather than "Gaming"
  15. Numerous other 'fixes' and suggestions, which I can't recall ATM

No matter what I try, games crash anywhere from 10 minutes to three hours after starting; the screen goes blank and I have to reset the computer. Temps are never that high when this happens, and my system can run for days on end in macOS (Catalina 10.15.5; I built this machine primarily to be a Hackintosh - I only use Windows for gaming). In fact, I usually just play Fortnite in macOS because it never crashes there - the performance is crap, compared to Windows, but when I play in Windows it ALWAYS crashes at some point, mid-match. Like, EVERY SINGLE TIME. In macOS, it never crashes. Which leads me to believe it's a driver issue, obviously.

Below are my complete system specs (again, stock speeds on everything) and after that, a couple of crash logs. If anyone has any suggestions, I’d appreciate the help.

• Asus Prime Z390-A

• Intel Core i7-9700k

• 32GB Corsair DDR4-3200 RAM

• 2x 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus

• 1TB Sabrent Rocket NVMe

• Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB

• Fenvi T919

• Corsair rm750x

• Noctua NH-D15s

• 3x Noctua 140mm Chromax fans

• 1x Noctua 120mm Chromax fan

• Fractal Design Meshify C

• Windows 10 Pro
  • macOS Catalina 10.5.5

This crash log was from the 20.5.1 drivers with HAGS enabled:

On Sun 05-Jul-20 14:26:21 your computer crashed or a problem was reported

crash dump file: C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG\WATCHDOG-20200705-1426.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: (0xFFFFF80166A85110)

Bugcheck code: 0x141 (0xFFFF9607DBCA5460, 0xFFFFF80166A85110, 0x0, 0x22BC)

Error: VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED

file path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0356653.inf_amd64_15027f689918cc64\B356672\amdkmdag.sys

product: ATI Radeon Family

company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver

Bug check description: This indicates that one of the display engines failed to respond in timely fashion.

A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: amdkmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).

Google query: amdkmdag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED

This crash log was using the latest “pro” Radeon drivers:

On Sun 05-Jul-20 11:27:14 your computer crashed or a problem was reported

crash dump file: C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG\WATCHDOG-20200705-1127.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: watchdog.sys (watchdog+0x5E1A)

Bugcheck code: 0x141 (0xFFFF8E0D862EB010, 0xFFFFF8003ABD0580, 0x0, 0x165C)

Error: VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED

file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\watchdog.sys

product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

company: Microsoft Corporation

description: Watchdog Driver

Bug check description: This indicates that one of the display engines failed to respond in timely fashion.

The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

12 Replies