cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

tokyoham
Journeyman III

Constant 5700XT crashing - any solutions?

So I've been having tons of problems with my Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT since I got it in March; I keep hoping that it'll be fixed with newer drivers but it still crashes all of the time, including on the new (20.7.1) drivers I just safe-mode DDU'd and installed today.

Basically, the card times out while playing games; anywhere from several minutes to 2-3 hours into a gaming session, the screen will go blank and that's it. Usually I have to reboot to regain control of the system. Crash logs always say that either amdkmdag.sys timed out (when using regular drivers) or watchdog.sys reported: VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED (when I use the "pro" drivers). The games this happens on regularly are Fortnite (both using DX11 and DX12), Forza Horizon 4, and occasionally Farcry 5 (Steam version). I’m running at stock speeds on everything, I have three Noctua 140mm fans and one 120mm fan for cooling, so my temps are fine (no more than 60-80°C, MAX, under load). PSU is a Corsair rm750x (with two separate cables feeding my 5700XT) ...

Troubleshooting steps taken (in no particular order):

1. Disabled all “extra” card features (FreeSync, RadeonChill, in-game overlay, etc)

2. Updated chipset drivers, BIOS, etc

3. Switched between XMP1, XMP2, and XMP off

4. Manually decreased RAM clock speeds from 3200MHz @ 1.35V to 2600MHz @1.35V
  5. Increased fan speeds (it’s not a cooling issue, but just in case)

6. Safe Mode DDU’d previous drivers (have tried every WHQL and beta driver released, since March 2020)

7. Used “reset driver” option when installing new drivers

8. Reinstalled Windows, then installed only video card drivers, chipset drivers, and games

9. Switched from performance vBIOS to silent, and back. (I don't use the software-controlled vBIOS setting because I haven't installed the Sapphire software again, since wiping my drive and re-installing Windows - I'm trying to keep it as bare-boned as possible, to rule out software conflicts.)

10. Installed Radeon drivers ONLY (no dashboard/interface)

11. Switched from DP to HDMI

12. Disabled all power-saving functions for PCIe slot
  13. Turned off Win10's 'game mode'
  14. Safe-mode DDU'd previous drivers, installed new drivers with "Standard" preset selected, rather than "Gaming"
  15. Numerous other 'fixes' and suggestions, which I can't recall ATM

No matter what I try, games crash anywhere from 10 minutes to three hours after starting; the screen goes blank and I have to reset the computer. Temps are never that high when this happens, and my system can run for days on end in macOS (Catalina 10.15.5; I built this machine primarily to be a Hackintosh - I only use Windows for gaming). In fact, I usually just play Fortnite in macOS because it never crashes there - the performance is crap, compared to Windows, but when I play in Windows it ALWAYS crashes at some point, mid-match. Like, EVERY SINGLE TIME. In macOS, it never crashes. Which leads me to believe it's a driver issue, obviously.

Below are my complete system specs (again, stock speeds on everything) and after that, a couple of crash logs. If anyone has any suggestions, I’d appreciate the help.

• Asus Prime Z390-A

• Intel Core i7-9700k

• 32GB Corsair DDR4-3200 RAM

• 2x 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus

• 1TB Sabrent Rocket NVMe

• Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB

• Fenvi T919

• Corsair rm750x

• Noctua NH-D15s

• 3x Noctua 140mm Chromax fans

• 1x Noctua 120mm Chromax fan

• Fractal Design Meshify C

• Windows 10 Pro
  • macOS Catalina 10.5.5

This crash log was from the 20.5.1 drivers with HAGS enabled:

On Sun 05-Jul-20 14:26:21 your computer crashed or a problem was reported

crash dump file: C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG\WATCHDOG-20200705-1426.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: (0xFFFFF80166A85110)

Bugcheck code: 0x141 (0xFFFF9607DBCA5460, 0xFFFFF80166A85110, 0x0, 0x22BC)

Error: VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED

file path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0356653.inf_amd64_15027f689918cc64\B356672\amdkmdag.sys

product: ATI Radeon Family

company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver

Bug check description: This indicates that one of the display engines failed to respond in timely fashion.

A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: amdkmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).

Google query: amdkmdag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED

This crash log was using the latest “pro” Radeon drivers:

On Sun 05-Jul-20 11:27:14 your computer crashed or a problem was reported

crash dump file: C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG\WATCHDOG-20200705-1127.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: watchdog.sys (watchdog+0x5E1A)

Bugcheck code: 0x141 (0xFFFF8E0D862EB010, 0xFFFFF8003ABD0580, 0x0, 0x165C)

Error: VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED

file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\watchdog.sys

product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

company: Microsoft Corporation

description: Watchdog Driver

Bug check description: This indicates that one of the display engines failed to respond in timely fashion.

The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

12 Replies
didelphis
Journeyman III

Same thing has been happening to me. Super disappointed with this card. Age of Wonders: Planetfall crashes within 15 seconds, Fallout 76 crashes constantly, other games crash, go to black screen of death, or randomly shut down the computer. It seems to be affecting tons of people based on a quick search. I'll do better research before I buy the new card.

0 Likes
lph
Adept I

You could try undervolting and underclocking in adrenaline like I did https://community.amd.com/thread/254260 
It didnt stop my black screens completely but I have a lot fewer now and can play games like AC:Odyssey without it crashing everytime.

0 Likes
zdestiny
Journeyman III

tokyoham - Any updates since last month?

I've been trying to find a solution for my problem for weeks now, and I just created this account to respond to this thread, because of how similar our setups are. I built my PC about a month ago, with the same issues. Nothing's helped me so far, so I don't have any new ideas to try - I've found pretty much the same 'fixes' everywhere I search. My setup is almost identical to yours, so I'm hoping some cross-testing can narrow it down. This was intended to be a Hackintosh + Windows/Gaming setup, so here's what I'm running:

• Asus Prime Z390-A

• Intel Core i7-9700k

• 64GB Corsair DDR4-3200 RAM (Having all four sticks for 64GB was causing more crashes, so I'm currently running 32GB. There are still crashes, although fewer than 64GB)

• 2x 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus

• Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB

• Fenvi T919

• Corsair CX750

• NZXT Kraken x52 AIO Cooler
  • Fractal Design Meshify C

• Windows 10 Pro
  • macOS Catalina 10.5.5

I'm having crashes similar to yours - anywhere from minutes into hours into playing a game. I've tried all the standard steps found on various forums, except for the "two separate cables feeding my 5700XT." Since that didn't fix it for you, I dont see the point in trying that. I'm currently on 20.4.2 Driver but it's far from stable. Basically I'm using my new PC expecting a crash at any second. 

However, the one big difference is that my macOS is crashing, almost the same as Windows - screen freezes up, requiring a manual restart. That's what let me to believe this is a hardware issue and not driver, since it's crashing on both OSes. What are you using for your macOS install? I'm using OpenCore 0.5.9.

0 Likes

Hey dude.. Sorry to hear you're having the same problem. 

I've gotten it down to just Fortnite crashing in Windows (Forza Horizon 4 hasn't crashed in some time now) and today I even got through a Fortnite session with my daughter without crashing at all. 

I'm using the beta 20.8.1 drivers, and before that I was using whatever beta it was, as well. I'm running my RAM underclocked to 2900MHz (XMP2) and as always, I DDU the old drivers in Safe Mode before installing the new ones. The only feature I have enabled is FreeSync (making sure I installed the driver for my LG monitor, as without it, the FreeSync range as reported by the Radeon software was incorrect). I've manually tweaked my registry in Windows to disable TDR (or maybe just to increase the threshold to 8 seconds - I'll check next time I' boot into Windows) following this guide. So whether it's underclocking the RAM or disabling TDR, it seems to have helped.

In MacOS, I'm running 10.15.6 on OpenCore 0.6.0; I've also been testing Big Sur and it's stable as well. I had ONE hang in Fortnite in Catalina (seriously, pure garbage software! It's the only app the I consistently have issues with, on every single OS I've tried) but my rig is otherwise rock-solid stable - as good or better than my old maxed-out iMac was. I'd be happy to share my EFI with you (I've got two that work perfectly, as far as I can tell - both are OpenCore 0.6.0 - one is using an iMac19,1 SMBIOS and my daily driver is using an iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS). I had to switch to iMac19,1 to get Big Sur to install - I think it looks for a T2 chip? - but after installing, I switched back to the iMacPro1,1 configuration because I like having dGPU hardware acceleration for Handbrake (even though, to be fair, I never actually use it. Still, seeing HEVC process at like 480fps is awesome!! lol)

0 Likes

Hey tokyoham‌ thanks for responding. I'm still using the most recent stable/WHQL drivers - 20.4.2. I did upgrade to the previous beta (the one before 20.8.1) but then did a DDU removal in Safe Mode and reverted to the last 'stable' version based on the feedback from various forums saying that was the most stable one.

It seems like what worked for you was a combination of things - the driver, the TDR setting and RAM underclocking, and there wasn't really an obvious fix that did the trick. Seems like the issue might still there but mitigated or masked by not aggravating it lol. It's just a frustrating process overall, waiting for months to finally build a PC and not be able to use it fully.

I've read up on the TDR wait time, but haven't tried it. What makes me wary of any OS-specific fixes (driver version, TDR setting) is that my PC keeps crashing in both Windows and macOS, which makes me think it's a hardware issue. The crashes are not limited to gaming - it seems to be random. Any time I have crashes in macOS, the mouse pointer gets 'corrupted' and changes from the standard pointer icon to a pixelated/blurry mess and while I can still move it, the screen becomes unresponsive along with the audio getting stuck. I had XMP off completely for a while, and still noticed crashes, so I decided to turn XMP on at 3200 since that didn't affect the crashes. I've now changed the GPU bios to the 'safe' setting to lower the clock speed and power consumption, but it's still crashing. I've got a 650W power supply, but have considered getting an 850W Gold. Do you think that would help; have you played around with that at all? I also haven't tried running two separate 8-pin cables to the GPU - right now it's being daisy-chained on the same cable. Did you notice any changes when you did that? The weird thing is that I've run all the tests in OCCT, including GPU and Power Supply, and it's found no issues.

Sure, having your EFI would be a good sanity check for me - can you DM me the files somehow? I'm still on OpenCore 0.5.9. Maybe generating the SSDTs in my Windows somehow copied over the existing issues to macOS, although I'm not sure if that's how it works.

Once again, thanks a lot for your help - it helps to know I'm not the only one in this situation.

0 Likes

20.8.1 recently surfaced

windows 10 version 2004 should be used as it is slightly more stable

0 Likes
pmr100
Journeyman III

I have the same problem, tired old and new drivers.  I am thinking about filing class action lawsuit against Sapphire and AMD, because this is stupid.  They should refund full purchase amount so we can get Nvidia cards.

0 Likes

I'm having the same exact issues with a Gigabyte Aourus. Would I file a lawsuit against Gigabyte or AMD?

0 Likes

Until recently BIOS bugs for X570 were as much as problem as drivers

post rig specs

0 Likes

SOLVED FOR ME, FINALLY!!!

Guys, I bought a MSI Radeon 5700 XT when I updated my PC about 4 months ago. From the very first time I was playing games (even some older ones like Starcraft 2) I was getting total crashes on the first minutes or seconds. The PC would just go black and I had to turn if off and on again to go back to Windows.

Tried many things, including driver updates, older drivers, c: format, some minor hardware changes like changing ram modules and nothing ever worked. I even sent the VGA back to warranty and they sent me a new one, the problem persisted.

SOLUTION: Turns out it was the PSU all along! It was the only part in my PC I hadn't changed because it was supposed to be a badass XFX 750W modular. The thing is it was 5 years old and probably now faulty. I figure when the VGA required more energy it couldn't feed it.

Got me now a 650W modular gold Corsair PSU and all is working like a charm.

Hope it helps you guys as it's now all joy and bliss over here. The VGA was allright all along and it sings!

Cheers from Rio de Janeiro

0 Likes
Waldoberto
Journeyman III

Hi, I have succeeded by deleting the amdxn64.dll file. I couldn't play videos without the system crashing. The Klite player showed me a message that that file was causing problems. I deleted it and the matter was solved. I hope it works for you!

0 Likes
TheSightz
Journeyman III

I had this issue at first when I first recieved my card but realized that its just power hungry af. so i bought a 850w ps (from my 800) and made sure THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART, to use 2 DIFFERENT pci 6+2 pin cables to the 8 / 6 pin slots. Lemme know if this helps !

0 Likes