cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

el-badger
Adept I

Connect new MBP-16" AMD Radeon Pro 5600M to 30" Apple Cinema Display HD using Dual-Link DVI Adapter

Hi,

I'm trying to get my new 16" MacBook Pro with AMD Radeon Pro 5600M -- to recognized my old 30" Apple Cinema Display HD -- using the Dual-Link DVI Adapter.

The Dual-Link DVI Adapter worked just fine on my old 2015 MBP-2015 running El Capitan. But the new 16" MBP isn't recognizing the display is there.

I'm hoping it's just something simple I need to enable or change, rather than the issue being that the AMD Radeon Pro 5600M doesn't work with a Dual-Link DVI Adapter. This would be bad.

In my old setup -- the Cinema Display > Dual-Link DVI Adapter > USB and Thunderbolt -- bingo. Once I closed the laptop, it connected to and used the display.

In my new setup -- Cinema Display > Dual-Link DVI Adapter > Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro -- and TB2 to TB3 adapter. According to multiple articles I've read this should work.

Any insights greatly appreciated, thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

I'm throwing in the towel. Amazon was fine about accepting returns on the 3 adapters I tried, because the manufacturers had recommended they would work and they didn't. 

For anyone else reading this in the future:

I still believe it's possible to connect a 2019 MacBook Pro 16" (Big Sur) to an old Apple HD Cinema Display 30" (Model A1083) -- I can't guarantee it because I didn't get this far -- I reached the point where it made more sense to upgrade. You'll need:

1. Henge Stone Pro dock 
  2. Apple Dual-Link DVI Adapter
  3. Follow this YouTube tutorial
  4. Be prepared to shell out around $350 to $400

I seemed to get close with the StarTech.com USB 3.1 Type-C to Dual Link DVI-I Adapter -- my old Cinema Display flickered to life, but kept going on and off. It was also recognized in the new MacBook Pro System Information > Displays, which didn't happen with any other adapter or connection setup.

At this point I'm giving up and buying a new 5k LG display. Horribly expensive but -- I budget for replacing my design laptop every 6-8 years, and display every 10 years. I got 15-years out of the Cinema Display so I'm mostly ok with it apart from the lack of matte screen.

Thanks for the help here.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

AMD has official Mac Pro driver but for BOOTCAMP OS: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/apple-boot-camp

Screenshot 2021-01-27 135834.png

If you are not using Bootcamp OS then your Mac OS must support the 5600M GPU with it own native driver. MacOS Catalina 10.15.5 or newer supports the 5600M GPU card with native drivers. You can download MacOS from APPLE from here: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2044?locale=en_US

Screenshot 2021-01-27 140226.png

In case the above information is not valid in your case ( you already have the latest MacOS or Bootcamp driver installed) found this Apple Thread concerning the same monitor and how to get it to work: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252063309

Screenshot 2021-01-27 140226.png

0 Likes

Thanks so much for your help. I'm not very technical so I don't know what "BootCamp" is I'm afraid. Imagine you're talking to a 5-year old, that's about the level of my knowledge.

So it sounds like you're saying I just need to install the supplemental update? The new MBP came with Big Sur, does this matter?

0 Likes

What is meant by Bootcamp is that you have and are using Windows 10 Operating System installed on your Mac Computer in which case you need to use Windows 10 Mac drivers (Bootcamp) which are Windows 10 AMD Drivers but for Mac computers.

According to Apple Support it seems like MacOS Catalina 10.15.5 or newer MacOS that has native drivers for your 5600m GPU card.

But at GITHUB that Big Sur also supports the 56xx series GPU Card: https://dortania.github.io/GPU-Buyers-Guide/modern-gpus/amd-gpu.html#navi-10-series  

Screenshot 2021-01-27 144121.png

It doesn't mention 5600M specifically but it should be compatible since it is compatible with the 5600 GPU card itself. But not really sure.

Found this Apple Support that explains which MacOS supports the Radeon Pro 5600M for Mac Book Pro 16" PC: https://mrmacintosh.com/new-amd-5600m-16-mbpro-10-15-5-supplemental-update-forked-build/

Screenshot 2021-01-27 144825.png

The link has all the download patches to install to make it compatible with the 5600m GPU card.

NOTE: If you still need help I suggest you open a Apple Support and ask them directly. They will guide on the correct path to making your 5600M work.

Also if your Mac Book Pro came with Big Sur MacOS and it uses the 5600M GPU card then it should have already the native drivers for your GPU installed. 

0 Likes

Thanks for all of the info, very helpful. So in a nutshell are you saying try installing this:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2044?locale=en_US

And if that doesn’t work, then try apple support?

Also I posted this same issue in apple community support. Somebody there kindly suggested where my connectivity might need help, so it could be hardware not software related. Working through that too — https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252372186?answerId=254476970022&page=1

0 Likes

Yes it sound like it is something that you need to configure in MacOS to allow the 5600m to send out video through its USB-C port.

I don't believe you need to update your MacOS unless there is an update specifically for Big Sur otherwise it should still work with the version you have.

Could also be something not compatible with your Adapter to the monitor.

In the image I posted from Github it mentions the command you need to input to get video output from the MacOS:

Note: Most Navi cards currently require the boot argument agdpmod=pikera to get proper display out, also keep in mind DisplayPort can be a hit or miss as Whatever Green needs to be adapted. See here for more info: RX5700XT: No dual monitor with WEG (opens new window)

I am sorry but I am really not that familiar with Mac PCs or MacOS  just what I learned from helping other Mac Users here at AMD Forum.

I don't know how to configure MacOS but I would check to make sure you have the Boot argument "agdpmod=pikera" configured in your Mac PC or ask Apple Support if you need a special Boot argument or MacOS command to get video out from your Mac Laptop.

Unless another AMD Mac User replies and instructs you how to configure the Mac Laptop.

0 Likes

After trying several different adapters and setups –- I've been recommended to try this one and advised it should work -- it arrives in 2 days, we'll see. Thanks for all the comments and help here, very useful.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VF1PP8T/

USB 3.1 Type-C to Dual Link DVI-I Adapter - Digital Only - 2560 x 1600 - Active USB-C to DVI Video Adapter Converter

**bleep** that is an expensive adapter.

I hope it works for the price you paid. It is best to purchase Active adapters since they are the most compatible rather than the passive types.

I know that Apple sells adapters and they are all expensive compared to Non-Apple adapter.

I do remember one or two other Mac Users in the past here at AMD Forums having issues trying to get the same type of Apple Monitor to work with newer Mac PC/Laptops.

NOTE: Open the package carefully and save all the packing materials and literature in case it doesn't work so that you can return back without issue afterwards.

Amazon is really lenient in its rules for returning Merchandise back to them but you never know.

Good luck, I hope it works finally.

0 Likes

Yup, it's definitely the most expensive adapter I've tried this week! However I figured it's so much less than the new display I'll have to buy otherwise. Amazon Prime is great for trying out adapters – free next day shipping, and free no-hassle returns.

As a graphic designer – there is still nothing as good as the Apple 30" Cinema Display, with its huge matte 30" screen. I also like the predictability of the colors, which I've learned over the decade or so I've owned it! I'm used to seeing how something looks on my screen, and knowing (as regards color, hue, etc) how it will print in real life on the products I design and sell in my ecommerce store. So I'll pay a hundred bones to try and keep my setup intact, rather than have to "learn" how a new monitor displays things compared to real life. If that makes sense.

Just for your information concerning Amazon, in case you are not aware of this fact, Amazon keeps track of how many returns you make back to them.

If Amazon feels you have returned to many merchandise back to them or reached a certain amount they might and will blackball your account from buying at Amazon again.

I understand your position being a Graphics Artist. I studied Commercial Art while in college.

There is an IT Professional that is quite active here at AMD Forums which I believe who also is involved in Graphics designs @pokester .

If nothing else he might be able to help you in the future if you ever decide to modernize your Apple Monitor.

0 Likes

I'm throwing in the towel. Amazon was fine about accepting returns on the 3 adapters I tried, because the manufacturers had recommended they would work and they didn't. 

For anyone else reading this in the future:

I still believe it's possible to connect a 2019 MacBook Pro 16" (Big Sur) to an old Apple HD Cinema Display 30" (Model A1083) -- I can't guarantee it because I didn't get this far -- I reached the point where it made more sense to upgrade. You'll need:

1. Henge Stone Pro dock 
  2. Apple Dual-Link DVI Adapter
  3. Follow this YouTube tutorial
  4. Be prepared to shell out around $350 to $400

I seemed to get close with the StarTech.com USB 3.1 Type-C to Dual Link DVI-I Adapter -- my old Cinema Display flickered to life, but kept going on and off. It was also recognized in the new MacBook Pro System Information > Displays, which didn't happen with any other adapter or connection setup.

At this point I'm giving up and buying a new 5k LG display. Horribly expensive but -- I budget for replacing my design laptop every 6-8 years, and display every 10 years. I got 15-years out of the Cinema Display so I'm mostly ok with it apart from the lack of matte screen.

Thanks for the help here.

Sorry to hear that expensive adapter was partially effective.

The Apple HD Cinema has quite the reputation as being an excellent Monitor. I know when it came out it was very expensive model. You are about the third Mac Users trying to get the Cinema to work that opened a thread here at AMD Forums.

LG are good monitors. I purchased one about a year ago that cost around $450 dollars. Now about 4 months past the Warranty expiration the screen is slowly going bad. I figure if it cost around $200.00 to repair I would get it repaired.

Hopefully your 5K LG monitor will last longer or try to get an extended LG Warranty on it.

You might want to open a thread at one of the Forums with the software/program that you use for Graphic Reproductions and see what other Users recommend as far as Monitors for Graphics work.

Anyway, if nothing else, you gained some valuable troubleshooting experience for the future.

Good Luck and take care.

Thanks for the tip about an extended warranty, excellent idea. Yes the Cinema Display is still, for being 15-years old, incredible.