cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

gojin
Adept I

Computer won't allow over 1920x1080 resolution

Hello, I have an AOC G2460V FreeSync 16:10 1920x1200 75Hz monitor, upon initially receiving this monitor, (after switching to DisplayPort cable) I could use it to it's full extent, 16:10, refresh rate resolution. However, after doing a  custom clean install of the new 18.4.xxx something Radeon RX 500 series driver. I can no longer set my computer resolution to 1920x1200. However, 16:10 supported resolutions lower than 1080p do function if it helps, I'm currently typing this with my monitor set to 75hz and 1680x1050 resolution (next best thing) I have FreeSync toggled on, Virtual Super Resolution is toggled on, GPU scaling is enabled. (full panel) And my system specs are as follows:

CPU: AMD FX 6300 3.5Ghz 6 core black edition
GPU: Rx 560 2gb 1176Mhz
RAM: 8gb 803Mhz Single channel RAM
Coolers: Stock fans (3)
HDD: Seagate 1tb 7200RPM
PSU: no clue.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

0 Likes
1 Solution

It happens sometimes that screen resolutions that should be there for whatever reason are no longer there. Nobody wants to reinstall Windows to get back, thanks to ToastyX you don't have to.

He made nice little utility that you can add the resolution you want back in and then choose it from the list like you are supposed to be able to. Give it a try: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)

I should add I only reference this for you as you said it did work before and now doesn't as noted above the official specs for you monitor don't look like they do support this at least not officially.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
16 Replies

which version of Windows do you have installed?

If you have Windows 10, go to "Settings- Display" and see if under resolutions it show 1920x1080 for your monitor.

0 Likes

I have Windows 10 installed, yes it displays 1920x1080.

Edit: During games, setting a resolution that is 16:10 (any resolution) will add a Vertical Letterbox.

0 Likes

Check you monitors specs. it shows it is a 16:9 monitor: here is a copy from AOC about the specs of your Monitor:

Viewable Screen Size24"
Panel TypeTN
Aspect Ratio16:9
Brightness250 cd/m² (typ)
Refresh Rate
Contrast Ratio (dcr)50,000,000:1
Response Time1ms
Max Resolution1920x1080@75Hz
Color Depth16.7M
Pixel Pitch (mm) (H x V)0.27675 (H) mm x 0.27675 (v) mm
View Angle (degrees) (H x V)Horizontal: 170 Degrees (CR>10) Vertical: 160 Degrees (CR>10)
Display Area (mm) (H x V)531.36 mm x 298.89 mm
Scanning Frequency (H / V)Horizontal: 30k~83KHz Vertical: 50~76 Hz

Here you can download the AOC Driver for your G2460VQ6 monitor: AOC

I'm missing something here, how come I used to be able to play 16:10 resolutions flawlessy if it's max resolution is 16:9? I also believe you may have my monitor model wrong. It's not very clear, but in the topright of my monitor. It says: G2460V.... v. Nothing else comes after that, I don't know if that even exists. But that's what it displays. Alright, never mind I'm stupid. In the Radeon attachment, the monitor is labeled as G2460VG5. In the 2nd attachment, neither of the models I've said this monitor is are on this driver list.

0 Likes

As far as I can tell your monitor is a 16:9 aspect ratio with a maximum of 1920:1080 resolution. Depending on how individual monitors work. giving it a different aspect ratio may either stretch the picture to fit the screen, or leave the black bars around the picture.

Why you may have not seen this previously and been able to select other resolutions that weren't supported by your monitor, is settings under the Radeon settings Display tab labelled Virtual Super Resolution and GPU Scaling. If you set your monitor in windows to 1920:1080 in 16:9 as is natively supported, then turn on Virtual Super Resolution in the radeon settings, it will allow you to select desktop and game resolutions above what is supported by your monitor (and probably different aspect ratios like 16:10), and then downscale them back to the 1920:1080 of the monitor. This allows for slightly crisper rendering in games and can be used to improve the image without losing as much performance to anti-aliasing. I'm assuming the GPU scaling makes sure different ratios fit your screen, but I've not tried this one personally.

I see, then I'm still a little confused.  In the below attachment, that is my resolution selection menu. 1920x1200 used to exist there. However, after upgrading to the latest Graphics driver as stated previously it's gone. However, if you were right about VSR allowing me to go to different aspect ratios, wouldn't a (supposedly) native 16:10 monitor allow me to choose different ratios, and not just 16:9, 16:10? The only 16:10 resolutions I'm seeing in this menu is 3200x1800, 1680x1050 (currently native) 1440x900, and 1270x968.

0 Likes

If it was there before it seems odd that it's not now, but all info I can find on your monitor shows that it is 16:9. What kind of options do you get with the GPU scaling? I've not played around with that before

Edit: looking here it looks like it does allow non-native resolution ratios How-To Enable and Configure GPU Scaling Feature

0 Likes

Even without GPU Scaling and VSR, when I first got this computer. The highest resolution available for me to pick was 1200p. Even with turning VSR and Scaling on, 1200p remained there. But as stated before, it disappeared after upgrading. And in case it's helpful at this point, I found my exact monitor. And you were right, it is 16:9. But NOT 60Hz. No, it's 75. My mum (the purchaser) claims she had originally seen 16:10 in the monitor specifications.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/aoc-gaming-24-led-fhd-freesync-monitor-black/5890403.p?skuId=5890403

Edit: While reading your edit, you say it does not allow non native ratios? Well, I'm able to choose 16:10 ratios. (not anymore past 1080p) so wouldn't that mean my Monitor is technically 16:10 native? Despite the monitors specs?

0 Likes

There is only one true native resolution, aspect ratio at hz. Your monitor may support any variation that is lesser than that, but that doesn't make it native.

0 Likes

There should be a label showing the model number of your Monitor. Normally it is in the rear of the monitor. It should show both the Model number and the Serial number.

0 Likes

I dug out my Flashlight, and had a look. I was able to find the following: "G2460VQ6" and below that: "240LM00016."

0 Likes

I have the correct monitor specs on my previous post. You might want to download in install the AOC Monitor driver if you haven't already.

0 Likes

It happens sometimes that screen resolutions that should be there for whatever reason are no longer there. Nobody wants to reinstall Windows to get back, thanks to ToastyX you don't have to.

He made nice little utility that you can add the resolution you want back in and then choose it from the list like you are supposed to be able to. Give it a try: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)

I should add I only reference this for you as you said it did work before and now doesn't as noted above the official specs for you monitor don't look like they do support this at least not officially.

0 Likes

Sorry for the lack of response, but thank you for your help. I'm going to mark this thread as solved, I did a fallback to the legacy 18.2.xx driver for the Rx 500 series GPU's and all my 16:10 resolutions have reappeared, feels good to not have to use 1680x1050.

elstaci is correct. Your monitor is 1920x1080 -- a 16:9 monitor. It will never be a 16:10 monitor unless you force it to a custom 16:10 resolution, with "GPU Scaling" enabled and "Scaling Mode" set to "Preserve Aspect Ratio". e.g a custom resolution of 1728x1080 with the preceding settings would result in black bars on the left and right sides of your screen, thus presenting a 16:10 format on your 16:9 monitor. You mention you have "Scaling Mode" set to "Full Panel"; this is in fact stretching your output image horizontally!

Face reality: if you want to use your monitor "to its full extent", stick to 1920x1080. There are no 16:10 FreeSync monitors on the market. I know this as I've been checking every month since the first FreeSync monitors were released. I'm still using a 1680x1050 (16:10) monitor circa 2010.

0 Likes

An update to the above: I have discovered that the reasonably-priced Acer B247W (1920x1200, IPS, 4 ms GtG) supports FreeSync at 75 Hz, native resolution. This feature is not marketed but is apparent in the product manual. The ability is listed as "Adaptive-Sync" in the monitor's OSD. If Adaptive-Sync is enabled, Over Drive (blur reduction) will be disabled (this is the case for the vast majority of FreeSync monitors), resulting in blurry motion (no good for fast-paced gaming).

Instead, I settled on using Scanline-Sync mode in Rivatuner Statistics Server to minimise screen-tearing in fullscreen games while also keeping even frame pacing at 75 FPS/75 Hz (due to the way RTSS handles FPS limiting). Over Drive remains enabled.

I can't find a comparable set-up (16:10 IPS @ 75Hz with FreeSync) at a similar price point.

0 Likes