cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

silvercyrex
Journeyman III

Computer Stuttering after monitor goes to sleep 6800XT

I have an ASUS TUF 6800TX in my system and i'm having problem i can definitely reproduce i just don't know what to do about it

i have a 9900K at stock speed in a TUF Z390 plus gaming running windows 11.

the issue is related to the 6800XT becuase this doesnt happen with my 2080. I've swapped it a couple of times just to be sure.

when i leave my system running and i come back to it a while later the system stutters, and i'm talking in every way, mouse, video playback, audio.

one thing to mention, my computer doesn't go to sleep it is always on but the screens go to sleep

the two things I've noticed are,

1. the AMD driver or some AMD software is crashing while the screens are off. because when the screen turn back on i have anywhere between 4 to 20 AMD icons in the taskbar

2. if the screens don't turn off, (don't ask me how i came to try this) the system is fine with no issue. i was turning my screens off with the power button for 3 days.

another strange thing is, when the stuttering is happening i can use almost everything (badly) but if i try to restart/shutdown my system from the start menu, the sleep/shutdown/restart menu comes up but i cant click any of it. if i use the keyboard at that point i can pick one and it turns off or restarts (very slowly) 

also shutdown/restart from the command prompt/terminal is fine

the system, drivers, bios/UEFI are all up to date 

i'm hoping someone here has a clue on what i can try. i haven't been able to find anything that's exactly this problem.

0 Likes
2 Replies
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

Since windows 7 I turn off all sleep and power saving modes.

Ever since windows 7 to now running windows 10 pro 64 Version 21H2 if I turn that function on my PC will lock up or constantly stutter visually.

Only a hardboot would solve the issue for me so I just keep those windows options turned off.

I'm running the Power Color Demon RX 6900 XT.

I hear you

I've had machines that just don't like any of the power saving modes. but this machine is fine with sleep or hibernation.

its when the monitors go to sleep that I have the issue.  and I don't want my monitors to stay on forever.

0 Likes