cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

validus1297
Newcomer

Computer Crashes Only When Playing Games

I purchased a pre-built gaming PC from Best Buy on on August 15, 2019 (approximately 4 months ago).

-------- My Build --------

Operating System:

Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

CPU:

AMD Ryzen 3 2300x

14nm technology

RAM:

8GB Single-Channel DDR4 @ 1199MHz (16-16-16-39)

Motherboard:

MSI ASRock A320M-HDV R4.0 (AM4)

Graphics:

2048MB ATI AMD Radeon RX 560 Series (XFX Pine Group)

Storage:

476GB SanDisk SDSSDH3512G (SATA (SSD))

------------------------------

-------- My issue --------

My computer crashes when I play video games on it, not immediately, but after anywhere between 10 and 40 minutes into playing the game, the whole screen turns a certain solid color (I've seen tan, I've seen bluish purple, maybe a couple more), sometimes I'll hear no noise, sometimes I will hear a buzzing sound followed by silence. The computer stays powered on, but basically stops sending any signal of display to the monitor.

I monitor my computer pretty closely with Ryzen Master and also the Radeon Overlay Software. All the temperatures, speeds, voltage, etc. seems to be very normal. When I play games, however, I do notice the clock speed of my GPU seems to be very spiky, jumping from 100% to 0% very sporadically and quickly. I have attached screenshots of said hardware monitoring programs during game-play to show what I'm talking about. If I'm not running any games, I will see a much more flat 0 clock-speed for my GPU and only tiny spikes here and there up to 50%.

---- What I've Tried ----

1. Updating the UEFI BIOS to version 2.3 using the Instant Flash Tool and instructions from the ASRock Support Page for my specific motherboard/CPU (all later versions were not recommended for my CPU)
  2. Doing a clean install of Windows 10 OS with data erasure (writing all 0's to the drive) using Windows 10 recovery feature. Scanned for rootkits afterward to ensure there was no malware hiding anywhere.
  3. Doing another clean install of Windows 10 OS from a freshly created boot USB drive created on a very secure PC.
  4. Uninstalling and reinstalling the latest graphics drivers using the following process:
    1. Downloading the latest drivers for my graphics card from the AMD website.
    2. Disconnecting the computer from internet, booting into Safe Mode.
    3. Uninstalling all display drivers using DDU, installing the the previously downloaded drivers from step (a).
  5. Playing and testing different non-graphic intensive games on lowest graphic setting possible. (WoW Classic, League of Legends, etc.)
  6. To ensure overheating is not the issue, I Switched out the stock CPU Cooler for the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black Edition and Downloaded multiple temperature monitoring programs (Core TempHWMonitorRyzen Master) to ensure the computer is not overheating.

-------- Question --------

After everything I've tried, the problem still persists. Could it be possible that I just  have a bad graphics card? Is there anything I haven't tried before just replacing the graphics card?

0 Likes
2 Replies
guily6669
Elite

you can try checking if FPS cap or Radeon Chill are ON, disable them so that the GPU can stay at high power and put power limit to the max on the GPU, this will probably not fix anything but it's just to see if the GPU usage gets more stable...

About temps what was the max temps for the CPU, motherboard thermal sensors and GPU??

For example my motherboard I have a Asus Sabertooth P67 and on the case of mine for high OC mine requires a small motherboard fan which I have and efficient case airflow or the VRM and other stuff gets pretty hot. I'm pushing my old I7 2600K which is max turbo to 3.8ghz to 4.9ghz and actually usually the hottest component with either the PC idle or gaming is always some parts of the motherboard which are hotter than my CPU it self lol but my GPU off course is by far the worse when gaming, I have a Asus Strix RX480 flashed to Strix RX580...

Anyway I don't have that problem, but for many years I had problems with my Asus Strix RX480 which was crashing all the time and giving red screens of death, BSOD, green screens, everything, it took AMD more than a year to finally make my RX480 kinda stable with their drivers, but that was a long time ago... But it actually improved by miles after RX580 release and I flashed Strix RX580 OC bios on my Strix RX480, it can get better clocks than ever and got massively more stable .

PS: If you have other Power Supply to test that's what I'd do first, if it doesn't work I'd talk with a friend to take that GPU and test on his rig, you sadly have to go piece-by-piece until you find what's causing it unless someone here had the exact same problems and knows how to fix it if in fact is the same and if you don't want to bother your self you still have warranty and can just simply send it back to the store, I my self always build the PC's my own way with my chosen hardware so I have to dig when problems appear, but since you bought pre-built you can just go to the store and demand a new replacement same PC or whatever if you don't really want to bother...

0 Likes
mady_1551
Journeyman III

This exact same thing has been happening to me over the past couple months and I have tried everything I could think of to fix this issue but nothing seems to work I use an RX 570 and I've been experiencing these solid colour screens and buzzing noises. IMG_1235.pngIMG_1233.pngIMG_1234.png

These are the stages I go through with crashing and my computer will stay on after wards just not shooting any power to my display. 

0 Likes