cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Awatts95
Adept I

Choppy Rx 6700 xt performance

Hi everyone, before I say my problem my set up is the following (Keep in mind this is a pre-built) cause I could not come to terms of paying ridiculous amounts for a card right now.

Ryzen 7 5800X 16GB memory with 1TB SSD 

graphics card is a AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT 

165hz monitor/free sync/connected to DP 

PSU is a ATX- PR800W

motherboard is a gigabyte B550 UD AC (made sure I’m on the latest version) 

so the problem I am running into is when I try to play apex legends, I get great fps (I cap it at 162 through RTSS) & I can run the game with ultra settings without any heating issues but for some reason my gameplay is very choppy! For example, when I reload my gun or I’m running towards a fight, it becomes choppy & I get a lot of micro stutters! I’ve tried all the typical trouble shoots like DDU drivers & reinstall, tried EVERY setting in Radeon software but non seem to stop the stutters fully. I also tried cleaning my cache memory, turning my mouse polling rate to 500, & playing at a lower resolution but those were fails as well. I tried vsync on, off, dynamic, all the typical trouble shoots! My PC runs great on other games so I tried changing settings in apex but those do not fix it either. I have been dealing with this for about 4 months now so ANY help would be greatly appreciated! 

thanks in advance! 

1 Solution

I was having the problem mostly with the game Apex Legends but I recently did a fresh uninstall with DDU with my graphics & chipset drivers! & under the “options tab” of DDU, make sure to check where it says “prevent download of drivers from window” (which you probably already know) & the thing that worked for me was to install the graphic drivers FIRST than do the chipset AFTER. I was installing it the other way around & it was causing my instability in Apex! Sorry if you already tried this, it’s just something that worked for me! 

as for the poor gameplay in Days Gone, I’ve read many threads that say the AMD 6000 series has stability issues with that specific game so maybe it will get fixed in future driver update? 

hope any of this helps, Good Luck! 

View solution in original post

18 Replies
vialli100
Forerunner

I have just been reading some bad reviews about that PSU..

Some even think it is probably not 80+ Gold..

There are quite a lot of fails with it..

If I were you, I would spend a bit more and get Seasonic, Corsair or another good make with modular cables..

Then you just plug what you need and run the card off 2 separate cables..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.

Yes, I have read the same about this psu & I think my next trouble shoot is going to be to buy a different brand psu & see what happens! Thank you for your response, I appreciate that. 

ThreeDee
Paragon

As stated .. Apevia's are not a top tier brand for PSU's or anything really .. and make sure you are running separate power cables to each power input on your 6700xt

PLUS:

Make sure you are running latest AM4 Chipset drivers from AMD.com

Make sure your RAM is installed in slots A2/B2 (2nd and 4th slots away from the CPU socket)

Make sure your RAM is running at least at it's rated speed (You gotta keep that 5800x fed) .. Task Manager>Performance>Memory to check RAM speed in Windows

Make sure you have good airflow in your case. You have to keep them VRM's and memory cool too

IF you are trying to use Freesync .. turn the feature off and see if Apex plays better.

ThreeDee PC specs

Thanks everyone for the responses, much appreciated! I checked everything you guys asked & everything is in place as far as the ram installation, up to date chipset, ram is running at correct speed & the air flow is great (I do not have any temperature issues). I am planning on purchasing a seasonic focus GX 750 80+ gold psu today & exchanging it to see if that helps solve my stuttering. I am new to pc so I’m not sure if my psu can cause stutters in a game like apex legends but it’s worth a shot! 

I picked up a Gigabyte eagle 6700XT as an upgrade from my Titan Xp.
I to am experiencing the same stuttering in games, as are many others. 
There are many threads on Reddit and other forums where users are having same issues.

I have an evga supernova gold psu.

I hope the psu is your issue but I fear this is software related.

Yes, I’ve actually read most of those threads & I too believe it’s software related. Unfortunately the new psu did not fix the problem. Hopefully it will get resolved soon but I will definitely keep you posted if I ever find a fix! 

What games do you have the issue on ?

Recently got a 6900XT and i have FPS drops in Days Gone , 7 days to die.
With 7 days to die im sure its the bad optimization.

Installed DOOM Eternal again since its one of the best optimized games out there.
FPS capped or not i dont get any stutter or choppy experience on that game.

No idea if this is a Radeon card issue or if we finally experience first hand how bad games are optimized these days.
My system is def. not the issue since its a fresh windows install and with the specs most of the games should run on highest settings without issues.

I was having the problem mostly with the game Apex Legends but I recently did a fresh uninstall with DDU with my graphics & chipset drivers! & under the “options tab” of DDU, make sure to check where it says “prevent download of drivers from window” (which you probably already know) & the thing that worked for me was to install the graphic drivers FIRST than do the chipset AFTER. I was installing it the other way around & it was causing my instability in Apex! Sorry if you already tried this, it’s just something that worked for me! 

as for the poor gameplay in Days Gone, I’ve read many threads that say the AMD 6000 series has stability issues with that specific game so maybe it will get fixed in future driver update? 

hope any of this helps, Good Luck! 

Been dealing with this also on Division 2 with a 6700 XT and a 6800 XT. To fix the issue I uninstalled the Radeon software and just ran windows update for the latest AMD driver in windows and problem went away. So it's definitely the Radeon software. Also reset the Radeon software and select standard. That may help. Good luck.

I always disconnect from net before rebooting after using ddu in safe mode. Straight driver install. No windows interference. I could return my card and get a 3070 but I’m after deciding to stick with it. 

@Awatts95This is some interesting information as all guides always seem to say install the chipset first, but I can change. I did the chipset first and then graphics and don't notice a problem in the games I play. Did you just happen upon this, or is this a known way we should be installing?

Thank you, glad OP got it fixed!

0 Likes

So I seen on a video today by a guy named “ancient gameplay” who posted how to correctly instal amd drivers & chipsets. He finds that installing chipset drivers first, it can sometimes cause screen tearing, misbehave freesync & overall instability. I just know it worked for me so so I’m hoping this can help others with my issue! 

Sure is good advice, I don't have the problem, except it will be good to know so I can avoid it, and now install gpu then chipset for AMD. He and several commenters said it definitely is a good idea. Let's hope it stays that way, and I guess I have to add changing the install order to fix problems as another thing to try.

Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMVfFp1OU6Q

Honestly I installed the Chipset driver first.

Ive tried the DDU steps before in Safe Mode while disconnected from the Internet, the Problem was still existant

However didnt uninstall the Chipset driver, maybe I should try that Addition. The Chipset driver caused me blue screens in the past and locked me out of Windows after installing, i had to use safe mode and manually uninstall it.

Regarding Radeon Software causing problems,  i cant say this cause at first I was only using the "driver only" install and the problem was already present.

The Graphics card it self seems fine and i wont return it. Doom eternal runs in 2k with RT just fine and even with VSR in 4k I get not a single stutter.

I have around 250 games I could try but I currently dont have the time for that, otherwise id report back.

So far Days Gone + 7 Days to die caused frustration then again 7 days is terribly optimized and Days Gone seems to have it's fair share of bike riding issues.

Someone here mentioned Division 2, I might install that today and check on that.

I wanna thank everyone here for the suggestions so far, really appreciate it.

@PreysizeI think you are correct, it may be uninstalling the Chipset drivers that fixes the problem, it never hurts to have another thing to try by installing the GPU drivers first. Maybe some things changed and by uninstalling the Chipset drivers it removes it so that the new drivers can work better.

I hope any of these works for you guys! My games have been buttery smooth since uninstalling chipsets & reinstalling them AFTER my graphics driver. For some reason when I was installing chipsets first, it would cause my freesync to stutter & this corrected it for me!

Good luck! 

Sadly the problem is still occuring but it seems to be just Days Gone.

Here is a video : Days Gone micro stutter - YouTube 

One around 33 seconds and another at 48 seconds.
Its a bit harder to see cause of the 60frames video but its def noticable.

Can you clarify how you do the chipset uninstall? Is that done through DDU? I am running into the same issue you mentioned here for my 6750 XT. 

Here is my setup:

MSI PRO B660-A DDR4 Motherboard ATX

Intel Core i5-12400 Desktop Processor 18M Cache

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 X 16GB) DDR4 3600

ARESGAME 750W Power Supply Semi Modular

I did a uninstall of my old GTX 960 driver through DDU in safe mode without an internet connecting through the DDU dropdown selecting GPU then Nividia. Then I installed the AMD driver through their latest download release on their website. 

Is the chipset uninstall also done by DDU?

Here is a link to my post in the AMD forums: https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/low-fps-with-gigabyte-6750-xt-12gb-switch-from-evga-gtx-960-39...

0 Likes